Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by IMForeman
    At Madeline W's request, I am reposting this here:

every scene in Changeling, you will find many subtle, nuanced facets of Teal'c's character nakedly on display, and that is such a rare thing with him. He's so closed off most of the time, that when you get an episode like "Threshold" or "Changeling" or even "Avatar" you get uncharacteristic glances into his thought process. It's sometimes shocking.
    Thanks! I just wanted to comment without taking the other thread off topic

It was definitely Teal'c at his most exposed. We'd seen signs of vulnerability in Teal'c before; his son had been used against him, and he'd been captured and tortured, but always before we'd seen him very *together* about it all - he'd have a plan to deal with whatever problem he faced or he'd endure his pain heroically until he could escape, or whatever.

Threshold was a wonderful glimpse into Teal'c mind, but his doubts in Threshold were all about Apophis, not about himself. Changeling was the first time I ever saw any indication that Teal'c's inner demons included any innate fear of the goa'uld or any self-doubt, so it was definitely shocking. Avatar is the only other time that particular facet of Teal'c has surfaced, so there was a nice symmetry in that Daniel was his lifeline on both occasions.

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
      Thanks! I just wanted to comment without taking the other thread off topic

It was definitely Teal'c at his most exposed. We'd seen signs of vulnerability in Teal'c before; his son had been used against him, and he'd been captured and tortured, but always before we'd seen him very *together* about it all - he'd have a plan to deal with whatever problem he faced or he'd endure his pain heroically until he could escape, or whatever.

Threshold was a wonderful glimpse into Teal'c mind, but his doubts in Threshold were all about Apophis, not about himself. Changeling was the first time I ever saw any indication that Teal'c's inner demons included any innate fear of the goa'uld or any self-doubt, so it was definitely shocking. Avatar is the only other time that particular facet of Teal'c has surfaced, so there was a nice symmetry in that Daniel was his lifeline on both occasions.
      Good points. There are three types of people who have no self-doubt/personal demons at all: the very stupid, the very arrogant, and the very boring. Teal'c is none of these things, but he's far better than most people about keeping that kind of thing internalized. Seeing underneath that facade was cool and provided a great deal of insight to the character.
      My LiveJournal.

If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere.
      -Frank A. Clark

An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out?
      -Michel de Saint-Pierre

Now, there's this about cynicism. It's the universe's most supine moral position. Real comfortable. If nothing can be done, then you're not some kind of **** for not doing it, and you can lie there and stink to yourself in perfect peace.
      -Lois McMaster Bujold, "The Borders of Infinity"

Comment

I just want to point out Ohper made this great pic.

Last edited by bioevilfan; 30 January 2005, 07:40 PM.
        The 360 is out in Aus and I'm playing
        Mal: Was that the primary buffer panel?
        Wash: It did seem to resemble-
        Mal: Did the primary bufferpanel just fall off my gorramn ship for no apparent rerason?

Comment

This was a real good story, and it was good to see Jackson again, but how come Hammond wasnt in the flash back?
          Questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself.

Comment

Originally posted by Yu`
            This was a real good story, and it was good to see Jackson again, but how come Hammond wasnt in the flash back?
            Flashback? Oh, you mean the dream sequences?

Why would he be? There was no "role" for him to fulfill, no necessary part. We saw only the most important people in T's life--his team, Bra'tac, Shaun'auc. Hammond just isn't up to that level of importance, as much as Teal'c respects him. What I find weird is that neither his son Ry'ac nor his wife Drey'auc (who has just died, and at whose death he felt much grief) are there.
            My LiveJournal.

-Frank A. Clark

An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out?
            -Michel de Saint-Pierre

Now, there's this about cynicism. It's the universe's most supine moral position. Real comfortable. If nothing can be done, then you're not some kind of **** for not doing it, and you can lie there and stink to yourself in perfect peace.

Comment

yeah... i agree.... especially since CJ wrote the script... i'm really surprised neither of them were in it!!

i loved the episode though... it's one of my favorites of the whole series... did anyone else get little goosebumps the first time around when daniel said "i haven't left your side, Teal'c... and i won't" and you realized it was really ascended daniel???

Comment

Originally posted by emily_reich
                yeah... i agree.... especially since CJ wrote the script... i'm really surprised neither of them were in it!!

i loved the episode though... it's one of my favorites of the whole series... did anyone else get little goosebumps the first time around when daniel said "i haven't left your side, Teal'c... and i won't" and you realized it was really ascended daniel???
                I'm actually not sure, 100%, whether that really was Daniel or just T's mind making up something Daniel would say. It's an ambiguous enough episode that I can't tell. If it really is him, I'm kind of surprised he doesn't have a more active role, or at least a more obvious one. He's only in, what, a few scenes? When Jack was in trouble, he was there a lot more.
                My LiveJournal.

-Frank A. Clark

-Michel de Saint-Pierre

Comment

at this point tealc had no idea daniel was ascended and could come back and visit people...

i'm certain in my mind it was daniel... espcially after he came back to help jack in abyss (that being a similar situation) and since daniel was there at the very end....

it's possible that at FIRST teal'c put daniel into his story, and then realdaniel took the place of the imagined daniel...

but if you listen to what he says to tealc the whole time it's fairly obvious it's daniel and if you look back already knowing it's him it's fairly obvious (at thebeginning tealc' asks something about whether he's there to help him or pick at his brain or something, and daniel says "something like that")

Comment

Originally posted by Beatrice
                    I'm actually not sure, 100%, whether that really was Daniel or just T's mind making up something Daniel would say. It's an ambiguous enough episode that I can't tell. If it really is him, I'm kind of surprised he doesn't have a more active role, or at least a more obvious one. He's only in, what, a few scenes? When Jack was in trouble, he was there a lot more.
                    I think Daniel was probably with Bra'tac for some of the time. And possibly at the SGC nudging Jack & co towards a decision to go and find Teal'c.

He knew he had The Others watching him ready to stop him, so he was subtle about what he did for Teal'c; but it seemed to work

Madeleine

Comment

yeah.... that's why daniel would only show up for a short period of time...

cuz ya notice daniel left the first time RIGHT before teal'c vision switched back over to the SGC one???? a connection?? i think so

Comment

I loved this episode in my opinion one of the best 3 in the season (next to Full Circle and Abyss. Not only because of Great Acting and directing from Chris Judge & Co. But also because it had Daniel and the question remains how much did he help teal'c? I guess we'll have too find out sooner or later .
                        Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

This episode was confusing to me in going back and forth between being Teal'c, the Jaffa, and Teal'c, the fireman. The only time I was not confused was the last ten minutes of the show.

Just my $.02 (american) worth.

Comment

Originally posted by greytop
                            This episode was confusing to me in going back and forth between being Teal'c, the Jaffa, and Teal'c, the fireman. The only time I was not confused was the last ten minutes of the show.

Just my $.02 (american) worth.
                            I think you're supposed to be confused. That's the point. We experience what Teal'c experiences, and he's confused, so we're supposed to be too.
                            My LiveJournal.

-Frank A. Clark

-Michel de Saint-Pierre

Comment

i think i was confused until daniel said his thing to teal'c about maybe neither one is real, and then the light bulb for the whole ep came on!! then i REALLY got it when daniel said "i haven't left your side teal'c" or however it was worded... then i COMPLETELY understood i think as much as is possible

but i agree with Beatrice... there's still supposed to be some mystery there and that's why it's such a great episode!! definately one of the season's best, if not series' best

Comment

I really enjoyed this episode. If I'm the only one in my family who understands what was going on, then it has to be good sci-fi. I found this episode to remind me of 'The X-Files'.

Comment

Working...
                                X