No announcement yet.

Paradise Lost (615)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm going to be the odd one out here--I really didn't care for Sam's behavior in this episode. She wasn't leading or in command, she was snapping at people who weren't as driven as she was. She was letting her emotions interfere with her leadership, which doesn't speak well of her ability to manage when the stakes are personal.

Dr. Lee had been working on finding Jack & Maybourne as long as she had, and he was right about the doorway not being the key to their whereabouts, but she wasn't willing to see that. It wasn't until later that she was able to see that he had a point. Now I do think that's not unusual for Sam, but this episode brings attention to it.

I do understand where Sam's emotions are coming from, but I just don't think this episode showed her in a good light.

Comment

I think that this episode is awesome because Maybourne finally got out of jail. Maybe he'll return in the SG-1 movie.
      "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Elwe Singollo View Post
        ok Thanks, now, off to wonder in the S7 thread

Also one more thing, is this the last episode we see Harry?
        No, he was seen in S8 as a King of some planet.
        "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

Originally posted by rushy View Post
          I think that this episode is awesome because Maybourne finally got out of jail. Maybe he'll return in the SG-1 movie.
          I like the character, but I'm not sure I'd like to see him back, mostly because I think his story arc came to a nice conclusion in It's Good To Be King. Unless someone goes to his planet, I think any efforts to bring him back would be artificial. I think he's found his place and he's probably not going anywhere if he doesn't have to.

Comment

I simply love this episode. It has a unique visual style and is a true testament to RDA's acting ability. It's like in every season there's that one episode that stands out from the rest of the pack with unique character interaction or story. I kinda felt the "Carter/Teal'c" scene was an afterthought. I mean one moment she's drowning in tears, next time she's completely regained her composure like nothing happened, just didn't feel natural. That's the only downside.

Comment

I love the dark metallic look to it when they are under the spell of the plant, very cool. I also like that Jack and Mayborne are so well portrayed in this episode and jack is smart for once in determining that the gou'ald must have brought the plant since he couldn't bring weapons.

Also, I just thought of this but this is the first time we see Carter and Teal'c together. I know that it wasn't romantic, but Teal'c is definitely there for her in this episode. And unknown foreshadowing of the distant future, haha.

And in the commentary when talking about arugula Robert Cooper says "I hate Cleveland would have been more accurate." and what!! I'm from the Cleveland area, why the hatin! wish I could ask him haha.
              Save Stargate Resistance and Stargate Worlds, keep a part of the franchise alive! and read our blog

Comment

Meh. Not one of my favourites. Maybourne is completely unlikeable.
                Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

I stuck a VHS in the Halls of Res machine...

1. Really wasn't sure what to make of this ep first time round.

2. The way Maybourne blags his way offworld...he's a sly git...

3. Maybe Jack shouldn't have gone after him...

4. Interesting back and forth between Sam and Lee.

5. Harry going nutso...and then Jack giving him a second shot at life...at that point I'd assumed it was the last we'd see him.

Decent enough ep.
                  I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

An average episode, but nice one at that.

Jack got to shoot Maybourne, twice.

I felt the Jack/Maybourne relationship went a little full circle, in my opinion.

Monday, Nirrti is back.
                    sigpic

Comment

One of my favourite episodes.

I love the Jack and Maybourne interactions, those two were great together on screen. Great watching the two sink into paranoia under the influence of a plant they were eating, bad enough they were stranded together in the middle of nowhere!

Goodness knows why a Goa'uld thought a load of aliens going off to find themselves in a spiritual retreat was enough of a threat to want to destroy their little paradise.

Loved the use of location here, such a lovely serene place, paradise indeed! It really caught my attention when I first saw this episode in the UK. I wondered for ages where that lovely place was! Never imagined I would end up living not too far from the area! It really is as lovely in reality as it is on screen, especially on lovely lazy summer days.

Comment

I agree with you, Krisz, it's a great episode. The location does, indeed, look like a paradise. I love the colour filter they use to give that surreal look to the scenes with Jack and Harry.
                        It's also great that whilst Sam and Jonas are working out where they were transported to, Jack was working out what had happened with the Goa'uld on the moon.
                        sigpic

Comment

The "paradise" shooting location has been used so many times by SiFi/SyFy. I saw it the first time when it was 'Kobol' in the 2003 Battlestar. Saw it in Stargate Universe too amongst others. But I can't get a straight answer on where this really is. I believe it's Pitt Lake in Canada: 49°21'51.63"N 122°37'49.79"W

Comment

Originally posted by Super64 View Post
                            The "paradise" shooting location has been used so many times by SiFi/SyFy. I saw it the first time when it was 'Kobol' in the 2003 Battlestar. Saw it in Stargate Universe too amongst others. But I can't get a straight answer on where this really is. I believe it's Pitt Lake in Canada: 49°21'51.63"N 122°37'49.79"W
                            It's an area called Widgeon Creek, a protected nature reserve. It can be accessed from the south end of Pitt Lake, which is a 15/20 minute drive from Maple Ridge, and then by paddling up there by canoe. Or by road from the Coquitlam side of the Pitt river, but that is closed off and can only be accessed by prior arrangement with the Nature reserve.

It's a long logging road trek, which is best driven in an off road capable vehicle. B.A.G (Balding Asian Guy) testified to this after he just about made it in his wife's little Honda car to get there and back when filming SGU's 'Faith', he was not very popular when he got home!!

Comment

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
                              It's a long logging road trek, which is best driven in an off road capable vehicle
                              Somewhere (YouTube, probably), there's a clip from a behind the scenes with RDA that was made while this episode was being filmed. It shows him riding a bicycle to reach the site.

Seaboe
                              If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

My LiveJournal post
                                "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
                                "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
                                "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
                                "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

sigpic
                                >-- Czechs Rock! >--

Comment

Working...
                                X