Paradise Lost (615)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bcmilco View Post
    Yes, it also gives us lets us see through that "dumb" facade and see that, yes, Jack does have a brain I just wish we'd get to see it a litte more often
    I agree with your comment about Jack having a brain. Having been watching numerous prior episodes and seeing what all kinds of ships and technology have been built (the X-302, the Prometheus), he obviously has knowledge of how they work, plus he's sat in the captain's chair a couple times, and you just don't do those things without being intensely educated in how they work and how to run them. He didn't just walk in one day and decide to try to fly the thing. A lot of studying by him, as well as all other SGC members (including Hammond and Sgt. Harriman, and even Major Davis, as well as Daniel and Teal'c and Jonas) was necessary to be able to drive those ships across the galaxy and back, and figure out routes to get where they wanted to go. We never heard about stuff like that though. It seemed as though they were made to just know everything they needed to know about all that technical stuff. Hmm, ... this is a tad off the track of "paradise lost", so ...

Anybody else notice that even though Jack and Maybourne were on this planet for nearly a month that Jack barely had any whiskers on his face (he did have that scruffy look that so many members like), and Maybourne's beard really didn't change much from the day they arrived. Did they have a secret stash of shaving foam and a razor handy. I would have expected Jack, at least to have a beard about as thick as Maybourne's by the time they got rescued. Oh well, that's just me being nitpicky.

Oh, and while it would be something Sam would do, I don't think she should have taken responsibility for "losing the Colonel". She told Hammond she'd allowed Maybourne to get her gun. Well, not exactly. She went to stand in front of Maybourne to take a look at the key, and Jack should have been watching her back, given how sneaky and tricky Maybourne could be. But what does he do but look the other way, and then Maybourne grabs Sam's zat and shoots her and Jack. I don't see that as Sam's fault. And then, curiously, Jack recovers from the zat blast fast enough to leap onto Maybourne as they both go through the door, while Sam is still laying on the ground dazed when Jonas and Teal'c come back. I've often wondered why so many different people are so differently affected by a zat blast. Some people just shake it off and get up, while others are unconscious for hours. Doesn't make sense to me.

However, I did like this episode. Great sparring between Maybourne and Jack, as well as between Sam and Dr. Lee.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
      And then, curiously, Jack recovers from the zat blast fast enough to leap onto Maybourne as they both go through the door, while Sam is still laying on the ground dazed when Jonas and Teal'c come back. I've often wondered why so many different people are so differently affected by a zat blast. Some people just shake it off and get up, while others are unconscious for hours. Doesn't make sense to me.
      well jack didn't get hit fully by the zat you can clearly see that, it like hit's his arm and the wall at the same time so it wouldn't of had the same effect, as far as other people being zatted and having different recovery times is just the writers using it to their own convenience, same that the disintegration from a 3rd zat blast mysteriously disappeared.

Comment

I like Jack and (evil) Maybourne, they know each other so well that Jack was darn right to say 'the only thing you're goona be afraid of around here is ME!'

How do they know the cargo ship is from the SGC but not from a Gou'ald?
        sigpic
        Sign by me

Comment

Ultracurious writes: “1. In various episodes (Paradise Lost, for example) he has noticed the sounds of Elk calling in the background. Is this a happy accident of nature where the episode was shot, or added later to sound more ‘alien-y’? [...]

Answers: 1. The background animal noises are added later in post-production. By the way, that wasn’t an elk your husband heard but a “space elk”. I can understand the confusion though. [...]
          http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...omic-round-up/
          sigpic
          The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

This is one of my favorite episodes upon a second viewing.

Did anyone notice William Gereghty's direction? It is awesome - the best direction of the series as far as I'm concerned.
            sigpic
            Watching now: Doctor Who Series 3/29 (rewatch) - The X-Files Season 2 (rewatch) - Pushing Daisies Season 1 - Torchwood Series 1 - Red Dwarf Series 8 - Battlestar Galactica Season 2 (rewatch) - Northern Exposure Season 3 (rewatch)

Comment

i am really glad maybourne and jack come together again. very good story and well acted.
              Some say that he has only one ear.
              And that he solved the Da Vinci Code in 3 minutes.
              All we know is he's called
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Stig View Post
                very good story and well acted.
                And pretty much well-everything! I wouldn't change anything about this episode. I think it's perfect.
                sigpic
                Watching now: Doctor Who Series 3/29 (rewatch) - The X-Files Season 2 (rewatch) - Pushing Daisies Season 1 - Torchwood Series 1 - Red Dwarf Series 8 - Battlestar Galactica Season 2 (rewatch) - Northern Exposure Season 3 (rewatch)

Comment

What a great episode , one of the best from Season 6 ! And it goes into my top 10 list of them all .

I really loved the direction, photography and the beautiful scenery in this one. (Lake Pitt?)

The acting between Jack and Maybourne was one of the best I've seen.
                  Also nice to see Sam showing some real emotions.

Rating 9 / 10

Comment

This was a cool episode, especially the scenes on the moon with O'Neill and Maybourne. The use of sound effects and music and some great photography helped to crank up the tension, like when the colour seems to drain away leaving a bleak looking environment. And of course theres Maybournes unusual fishing methods..

Comment

Maybourne is such a lunatic it is imposiible to go paranoid enough to try to kill Jack.

When Maybourne first showed up he was an important member of the pentagon and the stargate program.And where has his POWER and his technology in area 51 and his DOUBLE-POWER brought him!? HE IS A FUGITIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He broke the rules and now he is a drunk lunatic who ran off Earth

I say Harry Maybourne is doomed because i think he is doomed.

And how do i know because he is a boring guy

I think the episode is cool.
                      Last edited by rushy; 05 July 2010, 12:59 AM. Reason: One post would have been quite sufficient.
                      "I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational in order to prove that you care... or why it should be necessary to prove it at all."

Comment

One of the season 6 highlights for me.

Comment

i like this episode i like maybornes relationship with jack. jack dislikes him and maybone dislikes jack
                          sigpic

Comment

i loved Jack's look when Maybourne through that grenade and the dead fish came floating to the top. Jack looked horrified, i think in that instance he would have shot Maybourne.
                            sigpic

Comment

lol i agree for him that would be an insult to fishing. even tho he has no fish were he fishes
                              sigpic

Comment

yeah, but it isn't about the fish... it is about Fishing... lol!!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X