No announcement yet.

Unnatural Selection (612)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I loved the episode because of this whole moral, ethical issue, did they do the right thing? I dont know but let me throw something else out there

What really got me thinking was how First thought that Fifth was flawed. His 'flaw' was that he was too human. Like Jonas said, we used his humanity against him so in a way we saw that as a weakness in him, so does that mean on some level SG-1 were agreeing with the replicators about humanity being a weakness?

Another thing, someone said that Jack only did what he did due to self preservation, ensuring that replicators dont make it to earth now that they have the iris code
    Self preservation...its interesting that Jack did what he did to preserve his own life and life on his planet because thats exactly what replicators are programmed to do. Programmed for self preservation and replication at all costs.
    So at the end of the day, SG-1 saw that 5th was flawed and used his humanity against him, and Jack made the call to leave him behind to preserve human life.
    What is really getting me thinking is that we're starting to sound a lot like the replicators. The team were starting to do things, to think about things in the same way as the bugs, so when you think about it, are we really any better than they are?

I love this episode because its some very clever story writing, big thumbs up to brad wright and rob cooper for this episode, it was done very well
    - Simon

"Life. Its far more important than what you do for a living" - RDA

"It's crazy cool!" - AT

My Site: www.Glass-Prison.com

(Update: GABIT AT2 Convention report uploaded)

Comment

OK, i have several "technical" questions about this episode....
      1st: How could the replicators keep replicating if they have consumed all the raw material on Halla already....what's the point of staying on Halla if they have no food to eat...
      2nd: How did they make at least 6 humanoid replicators with so little neutronium (as far as i know, the only neutronium was the casing of the shell on the device)
      3rd: The episode doesn't even show Reese's body on the planet, Halla....so why does everyone assume when the replicators found her body, that's how they created humanoid replicators in her image....where is her body?
      4th: how do the humanoid replicators plan on staying there another 2yrs. without any raw materials to consume....they won't have the army First says they will without more replicators...
      5th: Why don't the replicators just leave the time-dilation bubble? If time is moving faster, they have all the time in the world to get out....if they have enough replicators, they should leave....why dont they?

Comment

I love this episode.

I don't think Jack is out of character at all. I suspect this is what Jack would naturally be like if his team-mates didn't have time to talk him out of things (like Carter didn't have time to say anything in this instance without blowing the whole thing). This is the Jack I find intriguing....troubled, military, special ops, doing the thing that is best for his side. It shows that he can be more than just a confused, wise-cracking guy along for the ride with a bunch of people who are smarter than he is. (Don't get me wrong, I enjoy funny Jack, but I think he hides his darkness and depth behind the constant one-liners.) He has some serious faults....or, conversely, he is a really great leader....depending on whether or not you agree with him.

And, I love Fifth. He did a great job of seeming innocent and creepy all at the same time. He's so wonderfully naive and trusting. Maybe the other replicators are right and he does have a strong flaw, just like Reese had a strong flaw....childlike but extremely dangerous.

I love that we're left wondering who's creepier, Jack or Fifth. (Of course, we'll find out in a couple of years.)

Comment

hi gaters,..im a nugater,..i missed that episode[saw the first 10 mins]hdd stopped recording,...i cant find it anywhere,...anyone know where i can d,load it and pay per episode?i went on a link to some INDIA site that offered d,loads for £1.99 per show,..but couldent find sg1 any where,some indian sters but no sign of it,...please help,tedpon.. :

Comment

I really liked this episode. Did Jack do the right thing? It's great when Stargate leaves a show open like this one, allowing the audience to decide who they agree with.

Originally posted by Liebestraume View Post

It's not so much that Jack did the right thing, only what was necessary. IMHO his willingness to bear the burden of conscience for the others bespeaks a special brand of nobility.
            Agreed. The way the camera shows Jack at the end says to me that while he might say all these strong words about how they did the right thing, it seems that he was just trying to convince himself as much as Carter, Jonas and Teal'c and that inside he was just as uncertain and possibly ashamed at leaving Fifth behind. When it came down to it, if they had waited the 5 minutes that Carter promised Fifth, SG-1 might never have made it out of there and they would have had their memories explored again and again. Look at the memory First was forcing Jack to relive, and then he went on to telling Jack it was his fault for what happened to Charlie. As much as I liked Fifth, I don't blame O'Neill for wanting to get out of there. When it finished, I wasn't sure who I felt more sorry for, Fifth because he wanted to do the right thing and had so much faith in Carter's word, or Jack who had to make a difficult decision and then bear the brunt of everyone's judgments.

Originally posted by Liv View Post
            I just have to point out that that look on Teal'c:s face when Jack tries to eat from his food canister (is it ice-cream?) is about the funniest thing ever. I could not stop laughing. It´s a good thing I wasn´t eating anything at that particular moment cause I might have choked on it. Priceless.
            Originally posted by SeaBee View Post
            Oh yes, I have to agree. I always have trouble listening to the speech on this scene, because I always end up watching the slapstick like byplay between Jack and Teal'c.
            Teal'c is hilarious in this scene! I totally missed what Jonas was saying cause the look on Teal'c's face was making me laugh too much.
            "Don't dis MacGyver, or before you know it he'll be at your door with some tinfoil, a whistle and a bag of marbles...and you'll be sorry then..."
            S/J all the way!
            Big Honkin' Resolution!
            sigpic
            John/Teyla Shipper!
            SAVE STARGATE ATLANTIS!!!!

Comment

I wish they would have revisited sam and jack's 'trust issue' with one another after this. I felt sam's capitulation to jacks' reasoning too quick.. to easy. I felt she should have (or would have) stood her ground more..

Comment

Yes, me too. I find that sometimes issues like that come up during or at the end of an episode, but then there is no mention of it in the following episode, or ever again. I also would have liked to see Sam's feelings in regard to Jack leaving Fifth behind explored a bit further.
                "Don't dis MacGyver, or before you know it he'll be at your door with some tinfoil, a whistle and a bag of marbles...and you'll be sorry then..."
                S/J all the way!
                Big Honkin' Resolution!
                sigpic
                John/Teyla Shipper!
                SAVE STARGATE ATLANTIS!!!!

Comment

There was no option but to leave Fifth behind, although SG1 didn't know that at the time. Fifth was caught by the others before he was due to escape, and the others would've had two minutes to stop the countdown.

When this episode began, I expected another action packed episode, with the "primitive" humans and their projectile weapons defeating mechanical bugs on behalf of the "superior" Asgard. Once we met the human form replicators, things changed. They are damn scary! Immune to all our weapons and able to read our minds. The setting was very creepy and the situation gave a sense of "we've got no hope this time!"
                  I thought First was a particularly great bad guy (there's a shock ) Intelligent, articulate, and just brutally cold as a machine would be, yet strangely still well mannered.

First:"The only reason we're keeping you alive so we can probe your mind again and again....."
                  That comment just creeped me out.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_L's View Post
                    Yes, me too. I find that sometimes issues like that come up during or at the end of an episode, but then there is no mention of it in the following episode, or ever again. I also would have liked to see Sam's feelings in regard to Jack leaving Fifth behind explored a bit further.
                    me too, especially when it resulted in 'new order' with fifth capturing and torturing her. if i were jack, i'd have felt some guilt in that it was partially my fault.

sally
                    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by First View Post
                      First:"The only reason we're keeping you alive so we can probe your mind again and again....."
                      That comment just creeped me out.
                      got to wonder what that would have done to their minds/brains too...

i read a fic once where jonas and sam were recaptured by the human reps, and sam especially was probed and tortued over and over... it was damaging her brain. she was rescued before the damage was permanent... great fic.

sally
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

Im not touching the ethical dilemmas in this ep. but I will say one thing...

Leave it to Teal'c to love ice cream like a pregnant woman
                        BRING BACK THE REAL ATLANTIS

Comment

just watched this episode, im laughing at the idea how tealc wouldnt share his ice cream and the look on his face!
                          one thing that was confusing, at the end, the other replicator models knew what was happening, yet instead of saying how the failure no.5 was, why didnt they just stop the timer?

Comment

Originally posted by StargateSG8 View Post
                            just watched this episode, im laughing at the idea how tealc wouldnt share his ice cream and the look on his face!
                            one thing that was confusing, at the end, the other replicator models knew what was happening, yet instead of saying how the failure no.5 was, why didnt they just stop the timer?
                            They believed they had plenty of time to stop the timer - because that was what Fifth was told - so they probably felt they had no need to rush.

Comment

Originally posted by smurf View Post
                              They believed they had plenty of time to stop the timer - because that was what Fifth was told - so they probably felt they had no need to rush.

no no.1 knew that sam set the timer for 3mins, he even said something about having much less time when no.5 said 'there is still 2mins left on the timer'...or something like that anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by StargateSG8 View Post
                                no no.1 knew that sam set the timer for 3mins, he even said something about having much less time when no.5 said 'there is still 2mins left on the timer'...or something like that anyway.
                                No, First knew SG-1 were escaping but he says;
                                "It’s not too late. I can read your mind. There’s time enough to stop the machine."
                                Fifth's 2 minutes comment is referring to SG-1 not leaving yet.

Although why First wasn't too bothered about them escaping is a whole different question...

Comment

Working...
                                X