No announcement yet.

Unnatural Selection (612)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it was more than that Fifth was a risk that made Jack leave him behind. I don't think they had time to go back for him, not when the galaxy was at stake.

Thinking about Jack's stony face at the end; I've always thought that he looked grim because he knew that leaving Fifth behind was a betrayal (justifiable and necessary, but still a betrayal). But maybe he's looking grim because he's wondering: what if I'd had to leave one of my *team* behind, to save the galaxy?

Madeleine

Comment

This is my favorite ep. ever, because of the moral dilemma, and because you KNOW Fifth will show up again, for vengeance. The knowledge that SG1 has just made a super-powerful enemy, and that from this point forward, they pretty much deserve whatever they get at the hands of the replicators, adds to the already gorgeous tension created by the betrayal. Plus I love Fifth, and the new dimension his character adds to the replicators. That they can be driven by some purpose other than their self-replication programming, and that SG1 was the deciding force in whether that potential will be benign or vengeful, is an incredible twist.

But it is interesting to note that Jack, whose convictions were strong enough to cause Kanan to return for the slave who helped him infiltrate Baal's fortress, doesn't feel bound by the same considerations when he's dealing with someone who could potentially be a threat to Earth.
      Last edited by yasureubetcha; 23 April 2005, 10:38 AM.

Comment

The best thing about this episode: they finally made the replicators cool. I know a lot of the Star Trek people compare them to the borg, but c'mon the little techno-locusts weren't that scary. 1st creeped me out. I love how the writers and Patrick Currie played 5th. It's like you got to see (between this, New Rising, and Gemini) what would happen to a child raised VERY wrong. One of season 6 best episodes.
        And it came to pass that in time the Great God Om spake unto Brutha, the Chosen One: "Psst!"

Jack: You're so shallow.
        Daniel: Oh please. Teal'c is like one of the deepest people I know. He's so deep. Tell him how deep you are. You'll be lucky if you understand this.
        Teal'c: My depth is immaterial to this conversation.
        Daniel: Oh! You see?
        Jack: (to Daniel) No more beer for you.

River: My food is problematic.

Comment

I think Jack made the right decision, although it certainly was a difficult one to watch, but .... Fifth was a risk, a huge one. He alone could make who knows how many more replicators, and the galaxy could end up back where it started. Jack isn't the type of person who can leave that kind of risk out there.

Agreed.

Comment

cher hair
            RADEK ZELENKA FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

- Freakiest/most awesome line ever: "To come forth"

-That asgard mothership is so freakin' cool. It seems like Thor is the only one on the ship. Does it only take one person to command one of those things?

-I wonder if the Replicators would use the stargate for travel or if they woul eat it.

-I wish they would have shown what the replicator's saw when they looked into Teal'c's head

-Fifth put everyone in a chair except for Jonas after their first session. Funny

-The Replicator's are in an Asgard temple? Does this mean the asgard have a religion?
              Hitler, Stalin, and Mussolini => three of the world's worst dictators.

Also failed artist, failed priest, and failed grade-school teacher.

What we should learn: Don't trust artists, be wary of priests, and fear your teachers!

Comment

Originally posted by PugGate
                -The Replicator's are in an Asgard temple? Does this mean the asgard have a religion?
                I thought it was a Replicator temple. Which, when you think about it, scarier.
                Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Originally posted by Jill_Ion
                  Both the Reese episode and Unnatural Selection made me think about what it is to be alive or sentient. The end of Unnatural Selection still bugs me. I wonder if Jack traded one problem for another? Yes, he solved the issue of the potential danger of taking an Advanced Replicator out of the time bubble in the short term, but in the long term, this very "human" Rep. has now experienced betrayal, which could completely mess him up and turn what appeared to be a "good" Rep into a "bad" Rep.
                  That's what I was wondering. Does Fifth become the main bad guy replicator who we see later, (in Season 8).

Originally posted by Liv
                  I just have to point out that that look on Teal'c:s face when Jack tries to eat from his food canister (is it ice-cream?) is about the funniest thing ever.
                  I thought so too. Then he gives Jack his own container. Then when he's eaten almost all of his, he swaps it with Jacks.

Comment

It was great to see the team pull together to try to help Thor and the Asgard. Loved Jonas, Teal'c, and Jack eating ice cream and talking. It was great how Jack kept having Jonas practice with the gun because he wanted to make sure he'd be okay. And I volunteer to give Jonas some first aid and TLC to deal with those blisters he said he was getting. I felt bad for Fifth because he was so hurt by being left behind. I did like how Jonas and Sam were questioning the decision and realized that they used Fifth's own humanity against him..

Comment

I'm finally making myself go back and watch Season 6. I tuned out for over a year due to a loss of showtime in late Season 5 followed by a loss of Daniel in Season 6.

I've got to admit that this episode rocks. Admittedly, I'm only halfway through the season, so my vote is still out. However, this episode was well done, and I felt for Fifth more than Jack.

Especially in Season 6, Jack appears to have trouble with alien beings, Jonas, Fifth, etc., which is ironic given that his best buddy is Teal'c and that he introduced the world to Thor. Yes, Fifth was a risk, but Jack's decision appeared cold blooded. When he looked guilty at the end of the episode, I was thinking "Good. Maybe he'll learn something."

It seems that Jack made the same mistake with the replicators twice. He also failed to see the goodness in the android (I forget her name) who created the replicators. Just a few more moments between the android and Daniel might have prevented the entire replicator problem.

It is an excellent episode because it creates so many things to ponder . . .
                      "Trust me. I'm a psychopath." Jekyll

"And I thought the end of the world couldn't get any worse" Ianto-Torchwood

Comment

Originally posted by LuvsJonasQuinn
                        It was great to see the team pull together to try to help Thor and the Asgard. Loved Jonas, Teal'c, and Jack eating ice cream and talking. It was great how Jack kept having Jonas practice with the gun because he wanted to make sure he'd be okay. And I volunteer to give Jonas some first aid and TLC to deal with those blisters he said he was getting. I felt bad for Fifth because he was so hurt by being left behind. I did like how Jonas and Sam were questioning the decision and realized that they used Fifth's own humanity against him..
                        Must agree. I loved that last scene when Jonas and Sam were both upset. Sam more than Jonas. Excellent.
                        Janna Galaxy, Queen of The Gods
                        The Strongest Will Survive!
                        I'll Be The One To Save Us All!

Comment

I like this episode all the way untill the end. God Fifth was a really bad character I hope I dont see him in future.

Comment

No not another ship lost to the Asgard, how did they ever become powerful? I have to presume it's the cloning thats made them stupid.Thats why they don't wear shoes they can't work out how to tie them up! (only joking you gotta love them)
                            The new replicators were a bit scary especially when they stuck their hands into the teams heads. I'm surprised there aren't more of them though, they've had plenty of time to make loads. You just gotta wonder what they get upto when theres nobody about.
                            FIRST-I spy with my little eye something beginning with R.

FIFTH-erm...could it be Replicator block.

FIRST- Doh!
                            Poor old fifth!

Comment

ITs good that they used time decelleration to slow down thier development an ingenious way that hadnt been looked up on SG-1 since a matter of time.
                              Oh Yes the Sam is Back and hes more Sci-fied up than ever !!!!!!!!!

Coming Soon a new Banner from Me

Comment

A pretty darn good episode and hello fifth!

Comment

Working...
                                X