No announcement yet.

Shadow Play (607)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

errr you do realise that the whole point was that there was no resistance it was all in jonas' old professors head because of working to close to the naquadria. even jonas was a figment of his imagination in some scenes.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Jonas and SG-1 didn't know the resistance was fake until the end of the episode.

They were actually considering participating in the violent overthrow of a sovereign democracy because they disagreed with its foreign policy.

Except for the cover-up of the nuclear accident the Kelownan government didn't have anything particularly wrong with it -- no apparent racism or imperialst ambitions or suppression of freedom of expression, and Jonas was obviously a dissident and yet allowed to reach a position of great power and responsibility, so we're talking about a fairly classical-liberal government. Were the Kelownans the least bit repressive Jonas would be on a blacklist if not in a cell.

That Jonas doesn't see any difference between his own government and that of what are presumably Nazis and Communists fits perfectly with the attitude of pacifists in our own history of that era. Differences between Nazis, Communists, and Democrats are "meaningless" in the eyes of a true pacifist -- Orwell's essays on this phenomenon were scathing -- and Jonas is true-to-form. That SG-1 wouldn't recognize the type and take what he said with a grain of salt is ludicrous. They're supposed to be military officers.

The Kelownans' only "crime" apart from officially blaming Dr. Jackson for the accident (unofficially they held no grudge against Dr. Jackson and apologized when SG-1 confronted them) was in being willing to defend their liberal democracy by whatever means necessary. That begs the question of what they were defending their democracy from, which we never really got an answer to. Since the only clue we're given is American history we must presume their opponents were Nazis and possibly Communists.

How far would we in the United States have gone to defend democracy? Were we wrong to kill so many resisting the Nazis and Soviets? Should we all instead either be speaking German or lying dead in a concentration camp?

Apparently the writers of the show think so, or they simply weren't thinking at all.

Comment

Ok when jonas friend umm the sick guy is taking jonas the the "resistance" why is the gun that jonas has just one of the stun ones (with a red light on the bottom)....it didn't make sense to me...

Comment

If you had a choice between killing someone in defence or just stunning them... which would you choose?

Also... keep in mind... Jonas wasn't even there.

Also... it was probably a mistake... but.... whatevs.

Comment

Wasn't it used to give viewers a clue that things may not be quite what they seem?

Comment

It was one of several clues to hint that all was not as it seemed, although how Dr. Kieran knew what an intar looked like (if not what it does) is another matter.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat View Post
                It was one of several clues to hint that all was not as it seemed, although how Dr. Kieran knew what an intar looked like (if not what it does) is another matter.
                Couldn't it just be a prop mistake? Maybe they didn't have any regular pistols on set or maybe they thought they had brought the normal gun but accidentally brought an Intar instead.
                sigpic

Comment

Watched this the otherday, I have a question.

When Dean Stockwells character is with Jonas and there being followed to the undergrounds base, just before he falls and Jonas and the security guy are shooting at eachother Jonas appears to be using one of those stun gun type things with the red crystal on the bottom, guessing this was just a props mistake as theres no way he (DS) would know/have seen one of these guns before...

Comment

The intar shooting bullets was a clue to the viewer that something wasn't right with the scene. Dr. Keiron doesn't know what an intar is, so it would be a fair assumption on his part that the gun shaped weapon that Jonas carries shoots bullets like all the other gun shaped weapons he's seen.

Little side note: Jonas doesn't get to carry a weapon which shoots bullets until Unnatural Selection. And if only giving him intars and zats is Jack's way of avoiding giving him a lethal weapon (trust issues and the like), he really didn't think that one through...

Comment

Watched this tonite. Not one of my favorite episodes. But if I understood correctly ( I was washing dishes and listening to the show, so maybe I got some things wrong.) the kelownans wanted military tech or aid or something like thast. earth wouldn't give it to them because they would use it to harm others on their own planet. But wasn't earth kind of doing the same thing. they wanted technology but wouldn't share with other countries, even when they had a treaty with russia. Not that they planned to use the tech against other countries, but i am sure if they had to they would have. Maybe I got the ep all wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by gatechick View Post
                        Watched this tonite. Not one of my favorite episodes. But if I understood correctly ( I was washing dishes and listening to the show, so maybe I got some things wrong.) the kelownans wanted military tech or aid or something like thast. earth wouldn't give it to them because they would use it to harm others on their own planet. But wasn't earth kind of doing the same thing. they wanted technology but wouldn't share with other countries, even when they had a treaty with russia. Not that they planned to use the tech against other countries, but i am sure if they had to they would have. Maybe I got the ep all wrong.
                        well through SG-1 you see many occasions where they are Hypocrites, we are human after, surprise surprise

Comment

Originally posted by bcmilco View Post
                          Wasted Opportunity. This episode could have really been a great episode for Jonas, instead it was more about the Doctor and his illness. Too bad because I really like Jonas and wish they had done more to develop him.

As it stands this episode is at or near the bottom of my list for s6.
                          Agreed. This was a pretty weak Jonas ep.
                          Some say that he has only one ear.
                          And that he solved the Da Vinci Code in 3 minutes.
                          All we know is he's called
                          sigpic

Comment

This was a boring episode

Rating : 4 / 10

Comment

Wow, I was going over episodes in Hulu this week and came across this one. Apparently I missed it while going through the S6 box set because I had never seen it before lol. (I've seen almost every episode twice, and some episodes multiple times.) So to come across an episode that I hadn't seen was a pleasant surprise.

Not that this was an exciting episode or anything.

Little side note: Jonas doesn't get to carry a weapon which shoots bullets until Unnatural Selection. And if only giving him intars and zats is Jack's way of avoiding giving him a lethal weapon (trust issues and the like), he really didn't think that one through...
                              Really? I never noticed this before. I did see the red crystal though and thought it was some sort of mistake. Hmm... little tidbits. Always nice to have.
                              For those who didn't see it. (spoilered for size)
                              Spoiler:

Overall episode rating: 4/10
                              Last edited by AVFan; 23 September 2009, 07:53 AM.

Proud supporter of His holy BAGness!

Comment

An alright episode for me. I like the quarreling ambassadors - man can they fight! Tee hee. And I also liked the little twist with Jonas' former professor. Didn't see that coming when watching the episode for the first time.

Comment

Working...
                                X