No announcement yet.

Abyss (606)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This was a great episode for me, it shows off a side of Jack that we rarely get to see, to give up under the circumstances seemed ideal, the fact that Daniel could't help was annoying but its nice to have somebody there for you when you are down and out.
    For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Comment

True if it was O'Neill in jacks shoes I can't help but think he would have done anything to help.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jumper One
        Why would he refuse to do it then? He was already willing to break the rules by helping him ascend, why would he not be willing to break the rules to free him?

Anyway, I always assumed that he was implying to kill him.
        I took that scene to mean that Jack was asking Daniel to make sure that he stayed dead after Ba'al killed him – as in Daniel using his ascended powers to destroy the sarcophagus so he couldn't be revived. That way, Daniel wouldn't have to deal with the guilt of actually "killing" Jack.

Comment

um...this is one of the sweetest episodes of SG-1 to date. I love the tension between Daniel and Jack. In Meridian I nearly cried, and in this episode i felt nearly the same way.

Matt H

Comment

This is definately one of my top five episodes. The tension and relationship between Jack and Daniel is just beautiful (hey, I'm a slasher, what can I say?)

Moving onto more of the episode and the most current topic. I thought it slightly out of character that Jack wanted to die - Jack's a fighter and we know that, but then if you're being killed and revived multiple times it's kinda hard. "I am prepared to give my life in their defense" (from article one of the Code of Conduct), and Jack did, but the level of desperation seemed so much greater, and we know from other episodes that Jack at some point was in special ops and probably had been captured at some point, so I just didn't really understand why this specific time pushed so much harder...

Comment

Originally posted by Darkstar
              This was a great episode for me, it shows off a side of Jack that we rarely get to see, to give up under the circumstances seemed ideal, the fact that Daniel could't help was annoying but its nice to have somebody there for you when you are down and out.
              In fact, I think Jack held out for a very long time and showed he wouldn't give up even after a 1000 deaths.

Personally, I think it is in Tangent where Jack, very uncharacteristically, "gives up" - and I hated it.

Originally posted by Tangent
              You know, I've already done that…freezing to death thing, and it's just not as enjoyable as it sounds. So, if we just consider there's no chance…
              I understand that they were in space - but he's encountered worse situations ...
              therefore, imo, in Abyss he showed great resolve - Really good RDA ep
              It's a joke. My way of deflecting attention from my own obvious heroism. You'll get used to it.

Comment

I'm watching Abyss right now - AWESOME. Show's a new side to O'neill when he's under pressure and worried about the torture.
                I write articles/features/reviews for I'm With Geek.com now. Check out our stuff if you get a minute!

sigpic
                Click on sig to check out my fanfic gallery too!

Comment

this episode is great.

sig by starlover1990

Comment

A really good episode. It really shows another side to Jack, and the interaction with Daniel was great to watch.

Comment

Man, I absolutely love this episode!

I've seen it I don't know how many times and it still makes me tear up at the end.

Great acting by all, beautiful music, I LOVE the cell with the shifting gravity, wonderful dialogue between Jack and Daniel and the simple effect of MS hiding behind the camera and then just stepping in when it moves is so much more effective than if they had shown him appearing and disappearing. Sometimes less is more. Baal is at his best in this episode. I still like him in season 10, but at this point in the series, I think he was the most effective and scary/creepy of all their villains because he is just so cruel without being flamboyant and over-the-top.

Comment

So true about Ba'al. The way that he is so matter-of-fact about doing the most horrible things, coupled with an almost understated arrogance. No curled lip, snarling or any of that 'I Am A Bad Guy' nonsense. That in itself makes him one of the best Goa'uld around for sheer evil-ness.

Without a doubt. Ba'al rocks. He may not be a god, but he's a god.

Okay, that doesn't make grammatical sense, but other Ba'al worshippers will know what I mean!
                        sigpic

Comment

Baals best episode and my favourite episode
                          Its on tomorrow on sky 1 for anyone interested
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by The Great Lord Baal View Post
                            Baals best episode and my favourite episode
                            Its on tomorrow on sky 1 for anyone interested
                            yeah, it's on three times Thursday 15:00 and 00:00 and friday 18:00
                            and because it's an episode i actually want to watch, i bet there will be something to stop me all three times! Grrrrr
                            ------------------------------------------------------

It goes like this: The fourth, the fifth. The minor fall, the major lift. The baffled king composing Hallelujah

My Art Work!

Still Seeing Breen

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedwraith View Post
                              Yeah, Ba'al's Weird gravty priosns/torture chambers really make the episode stand out.
                              I wonder if that was a piece of tech Ba'al made himself, or something that he found..

I thought it was interesting how Jack could see her, and Daniel couldn't, and Daniel at the time was 'all powerful' and such, but maybe it was just in Jack's head or something.. Or maybe it was just simple, she left before Daniel could see her, haha..
                              Maybe she was part of jacks Symbiot's subconsiousness/memory..

I also think Abyss could have benefitted from a darker, more abrasive set design. Don't get me wrong-- the "torture chamber" looked great. The holding cell was a little bland and non-threatening outside of the whole gravity thing, though, I thought. The facility could have just as likely been a Goa'uld health spa. A more menacing set would have made O'Neill's plight as much a visual hell as it was a mental one.
                              I wish we could have possibily seen or heard other totures going on in the backround.. so we could keep that 'darkness/abrasive' feeling up.

Originally Posted by Noo ani Anqueetus
                              Abyss is quite possibly my favorite episode in season 6. There were so many great moments between Daniel and Jack. For all those who didn't like that Daniel wouldn't help, I got the impression that more than anything he wanted to blow up the walls, and strike all the jaffa with lightning bolts. But he knew that the "others" were watching him..."They're ALWAYS watching..."
                              Yup, and since he had just got there, he might not have been willing to 'try to rock the boat' Though i do feel it might have been a little better had they shown him 'influencing the dreams of lord Yu to go attack that planet..

What bugs me about this episode isn't in this episode, it's in the lack of follow up to it. O'Neill is brutally tortured. For a long time. HE comes very close to breaking; he admits that.

Yet next week, and the week after, and the week after that, it's business as usual. No counseling, no nightmares, no post-traumatic stress, no recovery time of any kind. No lingering issues of any kind, either. It bugs me.
                              That is one of the few bad mouths i have to wards ALL seasons of SG1. We have seen carter and jack stranded and almost killed (solitudes) with nary a visit to a quack for evaluation. Daniel turned evil TWICE, with nary a reminicent of any other emotions towards him from others.. (need and Ab power) and many other cases where there SHOULD be some recovery, nightmares or other issues.. But the powers that be leave that be.

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                                That is one of the few bad mouths i have to wards ALL seasons of SG1. We have seen carter and jack stranded and almost killed (solitudes) with nary a visit to a quack for evaluation. Daniel turned evil TWICE, with nary a reminicent of any other emotions towards him from others.. (need and Ab power) and many other cases where there SHOULD be some recovery, nightmares or other issues.. But the powers that be leave that be.
                                oh that would be boring! of course i see what you mean but i'm of the Get-back-to-the-guns-and-aliens! school of thought, i don't need to see the characters recovering i watch to see them fighting! They are military they are trained for this and we have seen a handful of recovery scenes, why the episode Fallen is all about Daniel recovering from well... falling! thats enough for me

for the record in Need, Jack helps Daniel out when he goes crazy and wrecks a store room and Ab power is all a dream!
                                ------------------------------------------------------

It goes like this: The fourth, the fifth. The minor fall, the major lift. The baffled king composing Hallelujah

My Art Work!

Still Seeing Breen

Comment

Working...
                                X