No announcement yet.

Abyss (606)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is the greatest episode apart from Lost City. I absolutely loved it.
    Some say that he has only one ear.
    And that he solved the Da Vinci Code in 3 minutes.
    All we know is he's called
    sigpic

Comment

This is definetely the highlight of season 6 !

The Jack/Daniel scenes were really great, and we see Ba'al in one of his best episodes .

It could have been perfect, but the ending was disapointing.
      What happened after Jack escaped ??

Rating : 8 / 10

Comment

Yeah, that was the only thing I didn't like about the episode. The end was a bit too abrupt and I'd have liked to see a reunion with the team.
        sigpic
        Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Ba'al is one cool bad guy. They should make those gravity shifting cells standard in all real-life prisons . I agree the ending was too abrupt though, slightly spoiled a very good episode.

Comment

Originally posted by Beatrice Otter View Post

What bugs me about this episode isn't in this episode, it's in the lack of follow up to it. O'Neill is brutally tortured. For a long time. HE comes very close to breaking; he admits that.

Yet next week, and the week after, and the week after that, it's business as usual. No counseling, no nightmares, no post-traumatic stress, no recovery time of any kind. No lingering issues of any kind, either. It bugs me. Especially when Daniel shows up again in season seven. Daniel is Jack's best friend. Daniel had the power to break him out and stop the torture. Daniel didn't. And Jack has no issues with this? We as viewers know that Daniel couldn't have done anything; Jack, in the middle of things and not seeing what Daneil sees, can't know that. And even if he did, I'd still expect at least some kind of issues; issues like that are rarely rational.. But there's nothing.
            I love this episode, but yes, the lack of closure at the end is kind of bothersome. However, that's where fanfiction can help. lol

I had always thought that the woman/lotar appearing to Jack was just a hallucination. But after watching it again this past weekend, I realized that it's gotta be an actual memory left over from Kanan after he took Jack as a host. She keeps saying the same things over and over, plus she's not really responding to what Jack is saying back to her. This is what tells me it's Kanan's memory of what she said when Kanan (in Jack's body) came to rescue her.
            ~Melanie

sigpic

Comment

Yeah, I wish we could have seen some recovery on Jack's part after the events of Abyss. So much potential for angst and character moments weren't touched on. It could very well have been a two part episode.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by leiasky View Post
                Yeah, I wish we could have seen some recovery on Jack's part after the events of Abyss. So much potential for angst and character moments weren't touched on. It could very well have been a two part episode.
                Heh. Yeah. It could have easily made a better ep than some of the clunkers in s6.
                ~Melanie

sigpic

Comment

Originally Posted by leiasky
                  Personally, I thought it was done exactly as it should have been. Heavy angst and H/C is my least favorite type of fanfic, and I liked it that the show tread lightly there. One of the things that I liked most about SG-1 was that it had what I saw as a perfect balance of drama/humor, character/action. It was an adventure show at it's heart, not a drama. There are elements of characterization that I would have liked to have seen explored more, but delving further into emotional trauma isn't one of them.

Comment

How did jack get through back to earth without the the device to open the iris?

Did they land and pick him up? or what?

Comment

Originally posted by amconway View Post
                      Personally, I thought it was done exactly as it should have been. Heavy angst and H/C is my least favorite type of fanfic, and I liked it that the show tread lightly there. One of the things that I liked most about SG-1 was that it had what I saw as a perfect balance of drama/humor, character/action. It was an adventure show at it's heart, not a drama. There are elements of characterization that I would have liked to have seen explored more, but delving further into emotional trauma isn't one of them.
                      Agreed. Some issues are better not be explored. The very essence of Jack is a ton of hurt hidden behind snark. How I miss him! I have to rewatch this episode.
                      sigpic
                      Beautiful signature and avatar by Yamiinsane. You're a mind reader!
                      Aristides de Sousa Mendes

Comment

Originally posted by Alan Wake View Post
                        How did jack get through back to earth without the the device to open the iris?

Did they land and pick him up? or what?
                        He probably headed to the Alpha Site to be checked out.
                        sigpic
                        Banner By JME2

Comment

Different strokes for different folks, so the saying goes.

Jack appearing just fine and dandy in the next episode after suffering terrible torture was a mite too unbelievable to me.

Though, yes, the show is an adventure show and its focus wasn't as much on the character drama. For the most part, they balanced it all very well. Up until season 9, but that's a discussion for another thread.
                          sigpic

Comment

Jack appearing just fine and dandy in the next episode after suffering terrible torture was a mite too unbelievable to me.
                            Weeks could have passed. The only thing set in the timeline is that each season takes place in a year. If some events happen closer together in time, which is always the case in two-parters, and sometimes implied in other episodes, that allows quite a bit of elapsed time between others. For example, I'm cetain that Daniel didn't sleep with Kiera a couple of weeks after his wife died.

Comment

Weeks could have passed. The only thing set in the timeline is that each season takes place in a year. If some events happen closer together in time, which is always the case in two-parters, and sometimes implied in other episodes, that allows quite a bit of elapsed time between others. For example, I'm cetain that Daniel didn't sleep with Kiera a couple of weeks after his wife died.

Elaborating on your explanation

There are also events that happen that aren't actually depicted in episodes. One example I clearly remember was the situation related to the Enkarans in season 4 "Scorched Earth"... where they talked a little bit about how SG-1 (correct me if I'm wrong) had been searching for other suitable planets (or something like that)... but they never actually showed that in any prior episode.

Another example is when Jonas Quinn becomes part of the team... Carter tells him how many replacement members they've gone through thus far... but they've only shown the one guy at the very start of the episode.

So... it can be inferred that everything related to the torture was solved prior to the next episode - maybe a bit of rest and relaxation.

Comment

Originally posted by FreeStyLA View Post
                                Elaborating on your explanation

There are also events that happen that aren't actually depicted in episodes. One example I clearly remember was the situation related to the Enkarans in season 4 "Scorched Earth"... where they talked a little bit about how SG-1 (correct me if I'm wrong) had been searching for other suitable planets (or something like that)... but they never actually showed that in any prior episode.

Another example is when Jonas Quinn becomes part of the team... Carter tells him how many replacement members they've gone through thus far... but they've only shown the one guy at the very start of the episode.

So... it can be inferred that everything related to the torture was solved prior to the next episode - maybe a bit of rest and relaxation.

The above illustrates pretty perfectly that they didn't even mention the torture, or Jack recovering from it, again . . . which is what's unbelievable to me.

It's easily explained away, though as SG-1 was an episode of the week kind of show with a few large topics carrying through seasons or multiple episodes. It wasn't character driven as much as I'd have liked. . . SGU is supposed to fix this, and that makes me sad that we didn't get more of what SGU is supposed to be with SG-1.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X