No announcement yet.

Redemption, Part 1 (601)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The X-302 is so cool. They should bring it back. Chris Judge was good in this ep. And RDA was funny as usual.
    Some say that he has only one ear.
    And that he solved the Da Vinci Code in 3 minutes.
    All we know is he's called
    sigpic

Comment

Good episode to kick off Season 6. In typical bad guy style Anubis spouting the cliches, these types never learn.

Comment

Poor Teal'C, he's had a rough few episodes here, from being fooled by a minor Goa'uld in The Warrior, To losing one of his best friends in Meridian, to now losing his wife...even for a hardcore Jaffa Warrior that has to be tough times
        --Signature is Currently Undergoing Invisibility Maintenance, Please Check Back Later or Leave a Message after The Beep--

*Beep*

Comment

This is a pretty solid season opener in my opinion, it opens a few new threads, Jonas Quinn, the X-302, etc. but also creates some new conflicts: How will the rebel Jaffa live? What does Anubis have in store for Earth, etc.? Great way to kick off a new season. ****.5

Comment

Jack is still funny, and I still miss Daniel. Jonas is actually quite funny and likable though.
            sigpic

Comment

I miss Daniel like hell, but Jonas is growing on me. Poor guy, he had a tough start. I still want to punch McKay, though! I hope we'll see more of Rya'c now that he joined the fight.
              sigpic

Comment

Just watched it.....too bad they didn't have a way to contact ascended Daniel to help them out. Or at least contact the Asgard!
                I think Jonas is just great. Interesting how an alien earth-like planet has earth names for people. I wonder when they were taken away from Earth....

Comment

I'm suprised how much I enjoyed this episode. I think when it was first broadcast, I was still bitter over the loss of Daniel and had a hard time accepting the show without him. For this rewatch and knowing what is to come, all those feelings have disappeared and I can enjoy it for what it is.

And this is a fantastic episode. It's epic, with a great mix of different characters, both regular and old favourites (or in the case of R'yac, not favourites at all! However, now that the actor is older he is MUCH improved in terms of acting and the scenes with him and Teal'c are wonderful).

McKay is great in his classically annoying way, although at this point we haven't grown to understand him or like him properly. He's still close to what he would become, but slightly more cocky than later - he's lacking the slight cowardice which he becomes famous for. Jonas' enthusiasm and upbeat attitude is refreshing and endearing, we see Lt. Simmons back after a long absence (and he's certainly found a bit of confidence now).

Most of all, there is SO MUCH humour in this episode, which makes it a delight to watch. I think my favourite line was Jack's little remark about SG-1 needing a geeky fourth member to "offset our overwhelming coolness".

The X-302 is cool, and a part of the show I had completely forgotten about. However, I wasn't the biggest fan of Earth building their own ships as it begins to move the show a bit too far in the direction of Star Trek - there are certainly later episodes which I hate for this ('Space Race' can go **** itself).

EDIT: One big question I'm confused on - what happened to the Goa'uld cargo ship that the SGC has? O'Neill/Chekov mention something about not having it any more, but I don't recall it being destroyed in the season 5 finale?

RATING: 9 out of 10
                  Last edited by LeftHandedGuitarist; 11 December 2011, 04:30 AM.
                  Private guitar tuition | Return To Grace - rock/pop party band

Comment

I'm either the first Rewatcher to start in on S6 or the the two guys before me started seriously early...

September 2002: The talk amongst US Gaters was on the switch from Showtime to Scifi but the big story was that 'first...there was an S6 of SG1...the first time a show I'd gotten into lasted that long and then that it was a leap into the unknown character wise and therefore a potential jump-the shark moment...

1. Jack's "Next" as they kept going through Daniel-replacement candidates.

2. Really wasn't sure what to make of Jonas here...

3. X-302 = cool, but doesn't work so well.

4. Could have lived with a Russian on SG1, even if Jack couldn't...

5. McKay...was not pleased to see him again...

6. Ry'ac still cared for his Dad...

7. Now...what...
                    I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Pretty good opener to the new season of SG-1, on its new home.

Anubis wants to destroy Earth, like that's original.

Jonas wants to be on SG-1, we have a new spaceship (X-302), Jack's talking out of his ass (gotta love that), and the Russian's what one of their own on SG-1.

Tomorrow is the conclusion to the 2-parter that starts SG-1 Season 6 and 2012. Great way to start the year, if I say so myself.
                      sigpic

Comment

My LiveJournal post

I'm a little surprised that the Russians want one of their own in SG-1 after 'The Tomb'...
                        But you gotta love Jack making fun of bad guy talk again at the end.
                        "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
                        "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
                        "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
                        "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

sigpic
                        >-- Czechs Rock! >--

Comment

The thing that always stood out in this episode for me was the way Teal'c and Rya'c interacted in this. Their estrangement highlighted the difficult choices made by the Jaffa who chose to follow the fight for freedom. They suffer isolation and deprivations, the extreme example brought home by Dray'uc's death.

She died because she refused to take a new symbiote, she would not allow another Jaffa to be killed for theirs and the Goa'uld were now wary of letting the Jaffa have the free access to the larval Goa'uld as they used to. Teal'c lost a wife and his son a mother in his belief that the fight was worth continuing, it's a terrible thing to face, but she did die "free!"

The wonderfully done funeral scene was made even more poignant with the emotive music score that accompanied it.

Also love the different ways Jonas approaches the various members of SG-1 and gets them to consider what he could offer as a member of SG-1. He displays his genius in such unassuming ways. A great introduction to a likeable character.

Comment

I just love Redemption. It flows through so nicely as a two parter. So much that they had to insert that cliche Anubis scene is set tension. Too me it works on so many level like showing Jonas' desire to join SG1 and show how is able to contribute. The X-302 is interesting spacecraft. I liked how that while it works it is shown to have a flaw. The Teal'c and Ryac scene is sad to me. Their is something I like about how Teal'c saying Rya'c has never lost his trust. The Russians being angry seem overdone. It seems every episode Col. Chekov is angry about something. Finally I like the problem of the Gate having this problem. Not only does it teach something new about the Stargate but it once again shows how dangerous an enemy Anubis is.
                            Originally posted by aretood2
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

I have to admit that I fell in love with Daniel from the original movie onward. I also didn't really get hooked on the show until I saw it on Hulu the beginning of 2010. The first time I rushed through this season and with every episode I kept hoping that Daniel would return. This time around I'm starting to appreciate Jonas. He starts to demonstrate his value as a member of the SGC by noticing that the X-302 wouldn't be able to access hyperspace. I used to think he smiled way too much, but my attitude on that has changed as well.

This episode really starts Season 6 with a bang! The suspense this episode (and all the others) is enhanced by the magic of Joel Goldsmith's music. I had never realized how important the music can be before I starting watching Stargate.

Comment

I remember the first time I saw this I was missing Daniel and really hated Jonas. But after watching it a third time, I really like Jonas. Just not as much as Daniel.

Ah the X-302. I'm a huge fan of spaceships and space battles so the 302 is right up my ally. Bring on the 303.

And I agree that Rya'cs' actor has improved.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X