No announcement yet.

48 Hours (514)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah but none of that had been planned when 48 Hours was being written!
    I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
      Re: McKay - I must disagree strenuously. He's far worse in Atlantis than he was in this episode. Especially after seeing the various episodes a number of times. I frequently want to smack him for his behavior.

He would be sent back to earth for his poor behavior if his IQ wasn't needed in Atlantis.
      Blech, I knew it... definately looking forward to Atlantis now...
      "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
      "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
      "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
      "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

sigpic
      >-- Czechs Rock! >--

Comment

First glimpse of McKay, and it wasn't a good one. They changed him a bit for Atlantis, still egotistical, but they made him more rounded. I always wanted Carted to smack him in this episode, and Simmons too. But it is one of my favorites of the season. It establishes a lot for future episodes, and has me waiting for when Simmons gets what coming to him.

I did agree with McKay, and his point on how Sam (albeit, many times is ordered to) ignores or fails to take consideration about the lack of the DHD. He could have been nicer, but he was right. And I've always wondered when something would go wrong, I'm surprised there weren't more episodes that focused on this point. Would have been great to see carter make an even more impressive earth version of the DHD fix/save the day.
        Oh for a book and a shady nook ~ Jules' Book Reviews - my book review site.

Comment

Maybourne was always more interesting than Simmons. But Simmons made for a much eviler villain.

I despise McKay, not just because he's an egotistical self-righteous sexist a-hole, but because I get the strong feeling he was "written for the fans." In other words, he's supposed to be one of those outrageous anti-hero characters that fans are all supposed to love. He's nerdy, he's a smartass - he's supposed to be us, the average sci-fi fan. We're supposed to look at him and secretly think, "Yeah, he's just like me. Smart, in charge, and not afraid to say what we're all thinking anyway." The kind of character where anti-social narcissism is interpreted as cool, edgy cynicism. Like House from the TV show, in the writers' lazier moments. Every show aimed at a more intellectual audience will eventually have this kind of lazy one-dimensional character, because they figure it'll be an instant hit with at least some of the fans, so they don't need to put effort into actually making the character realistic or well-rounded. It's manipulative and lazy - it's effectively fanservice. It's one step above throwing in a female alien with big boobs and a bikini. Except that's supposed to make you horny. This is supposed to make you identify with McKay, because that's what the writers think of their audience - we're all socially awkward intellectuals who don't know how to act around women.

It's a little more subtle than those episodes later on where they went all out and introduced the "bumbling nerd" scientist whose name I've never bothered to remember. But the principle's the same. McKay probably works better, since the bumbling nerd reflects what socially awkward people fear others view them as, while McKay is what socially awkward people try to view themselves as. The bumbling nerd has no friends because he's an idiot - McKay chooses to have no friends because they can't handle the truth he suavely lays down without pretense. /eye roll

I understand McKay became more well-rounded in Atlantis and the reasons are obvious - only a truly terrible show could hope to keep one of their main characters that flat and superficial for an extended run.

Comment

I forgot how much of a jerk McKay was in this episode! I liked him more in Atlantis, as his character became more rounded and I sort of felt for him. He was just socially inept and got frustrated with people. Sure he'd be rude, but never in a really mean way. In this first episode though - unnecessarily mean and sexist. Poor Sam.

And Tanith's death was a little anti-climactic. He was so slimey, I really wanted to see a nice satisfying death. Oh we'll, at least he's dead!

Comment

McKay was a real ***** in this one. He was right, though. Good to see him this early, wonder if the writers had plans for him, as Hewlett is a good actor. a very fine episode.

Comment

McKay was right? About what? Teal'c wasn't dead and Sam isn't a dumb blonde.

Seaboe
                If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
                  McKay was right? About what? Teal'c wasn't dead and Sam isn't a dumb blonde.

Seaboe
                  Hi Seaboe, no LOL that wasn't what I meant.

He was right about this, I found the description somewhere:
                  McKay is an arrogant man, who insists that the dialing computer engineered by Carter to run the Earth gate is full of flaws and has caused numerous incidents that could have ended in catastrophe

Comment

McKay - Go suck a lemon!

OMG, David at a slightly younger age and with much more hair. His hairline has gone back over the years. But McKay will be McKay... even back then.

I'd totally forgotten about David being in SG1. And subsequently I had also forgotten they ship him off to Russia. LOL!

"This didn't happen in the simulations."

Russia not going to be happy now.

Tanith is dead... right... 99,99% sure.
                    Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Liked seeing McKay introduction to this universe. Don't have any complaints. Even though the Russians were being jerks they had a right to be. America wasn't sharing tech as agreed, so Russia had to play hardball.

Comment

Stargate Command struggling for the life of an "alien" against all odds and a very,very pleased Teal'c as he finally steps out of the gate.
                        McKay is a funny contribution.
                        CARPE DIEM
                        ANJA

Comment

I never realize Stargate is that old until I see McKay in this, he looks so young. An infinitely rewatchable episode I'd say. McKay is at his cruelest here, the "dumb blonde" remark to Carter is possibly the most malicious thing he ever said in Stargate considering the circumstances. I like to think his time in Russia afterwards taught him something about dealing with people.. (well, a little, at least).

And is that superficial damage to the Russian DHD or is it permanently destroyed? I forget.

A goodbye to Tanith also. I think they could of introduced that scene a little better, it was very easy to gloss over. At least Teal'c mentioned it at the end

Comment

The DHD was destroyed since we never see it again
                            Originally posted by aretood2
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                              The DHD was destroyed since we never see it again
                              Hmm.. From Atlantis episodes and even SG1 we see stargates are not really limited to one location. So how about DHDs? The stargate in the season one finale on Apophis' ship had a DHD. So it should be easy to get an off-world DHD, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Nirude View Post
                                So it should be easy to get an off-world DHD, right?
                                Why?

Seaboe
                                If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Working...
                                X