48 Hours (514)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave2 View Post
    Was it a unit in the Defense Department or Air Force that was playing around with the stargate between 1980 and 1994?
    That would be classified.
    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post
      it doesn't look like Peter Wingfield (Tanith) is sitting in the ship, though, did they use another actor in his place or some effects?
      IIRC, Mr. Wingfield wanted more money to return than they could afford to pay, so they pasted a picture of him into the ship.

Seaboe
      If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2
        So the SGC was begun a full 15 years before the arrival of Daniel Jackson and the first trip to Abydos (which would have been around 1980)?! And during that entire period they were trying to figure out what the stargate really was?
        What do you think?

Originally posted by Dave2 View Post
        Was it a unit in the Defense Department or Air Force that was playing around with the stargate between 1980 and 1994? I presume the SGC was in preparation for travel to Abydos for 3 years. And had Daniel not found the cartouche on Abydos, the SGC would have been essentially stuck with no other addresses had they managed to get away from the goa'uld on Abydos and been forced to close down the stargate.
        Your guess is as good as anyone else's, since it was never clearly stated.

Some of us are very curious as to what you think the answers to all your questions are. Certainly you must have an opinion yourself?

Comment

At some point...I stuck a VHS into the machine...

1. First impression of ep..very interesting.

2. Scratch Tanith. Ah well.

3. Both the Russians and Major Davis were idiots here! As Daniel said, the Russians knew the US needed the DHD now or else someone would die but all Chekov seemed to be interested in was punishing the Yanks for their previous supposed arrogance and the fact that three Russians died in "The Tomb"(through no fault of SG1's).

And Davis only seemed to be concerned about making sure the US continued to have the upper hand in their dealings with the Russians. Bottom line, best Daniel moment of the season.

4. Another good Jack and Harry show. Oh dear Simmons...you have been busted!

5. Ah yes...McKay, the most arrogant piece of cack I'd seen that didn't have a snake in his head. If you'd have told me back in '01 that in three years time I'd be rooting for him in an spinoff show I would have wondered what the writers had been smoking.

6. Is it me or does DH seem seriously young here.

7. Oh dear...DHD is kaputt!

Great ep!
          I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

I loved this episode. Teal'c gets his revenge.

Also, Dr. McKay makes his debut in this episode This annoying guy will never appear in series again. It's amazing how far he's come through out the franchise. And he looks different, he has more hair, and less character development.

That whole scene where the guy is say what is going on, I thought that was pointless and not really needed.

Tomorrow, the beginning of pretty good 2-part episode, which also introduces the fun Goa'uld, Ba'al.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NowIWillDestroyAbydos View Post
              That whole scene where the guy is say what is going on, I thought that was pointless and not really needed.
              Which guy?

Seaboe
              If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Originally posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post
                Ah, the introduction of Dr. McKay! I was quite impressed that his character here was pretty close to the character we grew to love on Atlantis. He had the arrogance and super-intelligence right from the off, as well as the super fast talking speed (which I suspect is more of a David Hewlett trait).
                Oh God, you mean he's always going to be like that? >.<;
                And I was so looking forward to watching Atlantis too...

My LiveJournal post (McKay fans may not want to read this entry...)
                "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
                "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
                "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
                "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

sigpic
                >-- Czechs Rock! >--

Comment

Notice the important part of my sentence: "grew to love!". He really is awesome after you get to know him, providing excellent laughs throughout the series.
                  Private guitar tuition | Return To Grace - rock/pop party band

Comment

This sure was a great ep. The opening scene was great with the death gliders and Tanith in the Al'kesh. Teal'c gets his revenge and then uh oh that can't be good.

Another ep with Jack and Maybourne teaming up. The Russians are annoying yet interesting. And Simmons gets what's coming to him.

And YAY McKay! I'm so glad he isn't this bad in Atlantis. He's much more lovable in Atlantis.

Jack: And would you believe you owe your life to a Goa'uld

Teal'c: Never
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lieutenant Sparrow View Post
                      This sure was a great ep. The opening scene was great with the death gliders and Tanith in the Al'kesh. Teal'c gets his revenge and then uh oh that can't be good.

Another ep with Jack and Maybourne teaming up. The Russians are annoying yet interesting. And Simmons gets what's coming to him.

And YAY McKay! I'm so glad he isn't this bad in Atlantis. He's much more lovable in Atlantis.
                      Re: McKay - I must disagree strenuously. He's far worse in Atlantis than he was in this episode. Especially after seeing the various episodes a number of times. I frequently want to smack him for his behavior.

He would be sent back to earth for his poor behavior if his IQ wasn't needed in Atlantis.

Comment

Its about time Simmons got what was coming to him. He is more slimey then Maybourne in the rogue NID and had even more questionable morals then other rogue NID agents. So I was so glad to see that guy get what he is deserving. One thing I have always liked about S5 is that it really highlight the flaw of the SGC in particular how the dialing computer is remarkably inferior to a DHD. And I also liked seeing something new about the gate. We never saw it store a person in the gate itself. Per the McKay thing I like him a lot more in SG1 in Atlantis. He doesn't come off arrogant in this episode compared to Atlantis. He was just very blunt about the truth of the matter related to the Stargate I also liked seeing the hostility Russia has with the use of their Stargate. It makes sense of given international politics and plus I like the pressure they bring to make the SGC life more difficult
                        Originally posted by aretood2
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                          Re: McKay - I must disagree strenuously. He's far worse in Atlantis than he was in this episode. Especially after seeing the various episodes a number of times. I frequently want to smack him for his behavior.

He would be sent back to earth for his poor behavior if his IQ wasn't needed in Atlantis.
                          I think it's his sexist ways towards Sam that turn me off. I don't recall him being like that in Atlantis.
                          sigpic

Comment

I liked this episode for its look at all the other things that go on around the Stargate program, everyone wants a bit of the pie! How the Russians want in on everything, without the cost of running their own program and happily using the SGC's need for the DHD as the means to get it. Then you have the NID up to their usual sneaky tricks, which at least this time means Simmons was finally caught out, and we have Jack and Maybourne working together again. "We make a good team Jack," love how that irritates O'Neill, coupled with the grudging acceptance of him as an ally.

Also the arrogant Goa'uld inadvertently gives Jack the answer to saving Teal'c with telling him that Simmonds was better with the questioning, of course the meticulously recorded interviews Simmonds made were there for Jack, nice touch!

McKAY: (to the server)
                            Is there lemon on the chicken?
                            SERVER: It's lemon chicken.

I forgot this was the episode that introduced McKay, and his citrus allergy! It was fun watching him with his self assured sense of his abilities and opinions. Quite amusing seeing how he started out, knowing how he developed in later years. I take his sexist remarks as his being painfully nervous around Sam, he obviously had an attraction to her straight off and covered this up by arrogantly questioning her solutions to the problem of getting Teal'c back. This took him a long time to get over, even if he acted like it subconsciously, but it was fun to watch how he changed as far as his interaction with Sam was concerned over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by Lieutenant Sparrow View Post
                              I think it's his sexist ways towards Sam that turn me off. I don't recall him being like that in Atlantis.
                              To be honest I'm not 100% sure TPTB had plans to ever bring McKay back at this point or plans for a spinoff so maybe in their mind they could afford to make him a complete bleep for this ep.
                              I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

According to Gateworld's article on The Rising,

Dr. McKay's part [in Atlantis] was originally written as "Dr. Benjamin Ingram," an African-Canadian scientist. Actor David Hewlett (while not African-Canadian) even auditioned for the role before it was decided to replace Ingram with Rodney McKay, who appeared in SG-1's "48 Hours" and "Redemption."

Comment

Working...
                                X