No announcement yet.

Wormhole X-Treme! (512)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh, please, folks, don't break a nail trying to explain why you didn't like the ep. Golly, I dunno if I can keep up with all these long, detailed descriptions of why the ep wasn't any good.

While I liked the ep, I can see how people might not. The main characters were severely dumbed down and put into patently ridiculous situations and their TV counterparts could be seen as further insulting characters that most of us had grown to love over the past five years.

The idea that anyone in Hollywood would buy Martin's story is nothing short of insane, and having him actually get hired by the show itself? Virtually impossible. There's mocking the show and then there's mocking everything the show stands for and ridiculing "our" team. The masses of cameos by the crew could be seen as self-indulgent and unnecessary and the jokes could be seen as way over the top.

But hey, who wants to bother with all that when you can just say that it was "dumb" and "cheesy"? That's oh so much more eloquent than any words I could use.

Comment

Okey dokey, i'll try and put in some reasons. Unfortunately, I haven't seen it in ages.

I guess i'm not that fond of it ( i don't hate it ), because i saw it as a casual viewer, out of order, before i knew about internet fandom. At which point, it just seemed a little silly. I didn't like the 'cheesiness,' of the 'alternate' team, didn't recognise the inside jokes. I was also unaware that it was the 100th ep (and thus didn't appreciate TPTB were trying something different), and so, in comparison to the most recent ep i'd seen, i probably thought - 'what the heck is going on here?'

So, that's the first impression i get. Now, i haven't seen it since i joined GW, so i carry this slightly negative impression with me, when i find out it was the 100th, which, in my view, should be a landmarky style thing, not something that, as far as i could recall, seemed incredibly ... childish.

Now it's quite possible that now i've been involved here for a bit i'd pick up on the inside jokes, and might appreciate it more, but for now, i still have this 'meh' feeling about it.

That better Shadow?
      I'm not Weird, I'm Gifted!

Comment

THANK YOU, jonno. It's nice to know someone around here can articulate an opinion.

And ya know, as much as I loved Wormhole X-treme, thinking back on it, I can remember some initial disappointment that TPTB had chosen to go the farcical route. I, too, had wanted the 100th ep to be something spectacular. While it was funny (to me), I would never say it was spectacular and I probably wouldn't count it in my top five favorite eps.

I suppose th excuse could be that people expect SO MUCH from a landmark ep that anything made couldn't please anyone, so it's better to just goof off instead, but it has th feeling of being more an excuse than a reason, if ya catch my meaning.

I do know that even though I'm not watching Stargate anymore, I was disappointed (and frankly a bit shocked) to hear the details about the 200th ep. I think the first thing I said was, "Why? Didn't they learn their lesson the first time?" But this is TPTB we're talking about. They're more stubborn than the stubbornest thing that was ever stubborn. Granted, I can't say I'm very surprised (which is one of the reasons I stopped watching) but... to waste yet another ep on something like this? I might have been willing to let the first one slide, but a second ep in this vein smacks of arrogant self-indulgence and laziness. At least to me. And while doing it once might be funny, doing it twice is just plain stupid. Again, IMO. It's like someone telling the same knock-knock joke over and over. First you have to like knock-knocks to appreciate it the first time, and second, it stops being funner VERY fast.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
          THANK YOU, jonno. It's nice to know someone around here can articulate an opinion.
          I try

I do know that even though I'm not watching Stargate anymore, I was disappointed (and frankly a bit shocked) to hear the details about the 200th ep. I think the first thing I said was, "Why? Didn't they learn their lesson the first time?" But this is TPTB we're talking about. They're more stubborn than the stubbornest thing that was ever stubborn. Granted, I can't say I'm very surprised (which is one of the reasons I stopped watching) but... to waste yet another ep on something like this? I might have been willing to let the first one slide, but a second ep in this vein smacks of arrogant self-indulgence and laziness. At least to me. And while doing it once might be funny, doing it twice is just plain stupid. Again, IMO. It's like someone telling the same knock-knock joke over and over. First you have to like knock-knocks to appreciate it the first time, and second, it stops being funner VERY fast.
          Like you, i was disappointed about the details for 200 (i'd been one of those hoping for a 4 great races revelation type thing). Although, at least this time i'll be watching in context. Then again, I watched Citizen Joe in context, and, well, disliked that. Excessively (reasons can be found elsewhere, unless you're really desperate to hear them). I'm willing to hold off on the critisicm until i've seen this however ... it's just possible it could be entertaining (with brain switched off) - and i've decided to view it without too much expectation, meaning i'm less likely to be thinking WHY DID THEY DO THIS AGAIN all the way through.
          I'm not Weird, I'm Gifted!

Comment

Well, Shadow, I am not sure I can articulate my opinions in a concise manner, but I did say earlier how I felt!
            I GoodSearch for the Michael J Fox Foundation for Parkinsons Research
            Raise money for your favorite charity - www.goodsearch.com - powered by Yahoo!

Comment

Okay, I read 4 pages. Enough to express my opinion.

Wormhole Extreme is a send-up. It's parody. It's supposed to offend die hard fans, which is IMHO why so many people don't like it.

WE is not just a dig at Stargate. In fact, it smacks Star Trek around quite a bit more. I can hardly watch long techno babble scenes any more (from TNG, VOY or DS9) where somebody solves a big problem by reversing polarity. I just fall down laughing. We forget how much better TV Sci Fi is than it was just 10 years ago. WE is there to remind us ...... Galaxy Quest did it better (which I consider a Star Trek episode), but folks who make an alternate reality out of TV Sci Fi need to be reminded.

It's just a TV show............

Another one I like is that one where Sam enters a race which promises death and the TV announcers laugh about it with TV commercials that accentuate the danger......

Comment

Wormhole X-treme! was dumb, and cheesy, and I was thouroughly entertained.
                And I loved the scene where the Sam equivalent asked why she didn't fall through the floor while out of phase.....

Comment

What is with t and his weird costumes when he goes to the surface off earth.
                  sigpic

Comment

How has nobody here mentioned the Star Trek TOS refrence? When the aliens beamed themselves up there transporters looked exactly like the ones from ST TOS.

Anyone who has watched all of TOS should know it was because of TOS that any Sci-Fi show exists and is popular on the air today, not to mention the many MANY themes from ST:TOS that look like they may have inspired Stargates Creation in the first place. Theyre beaming up was a salute to that, atleast IMO.

Plus did anyone notice the blast at ST:VOY and Anise? when the executives get in there limo one says "you know what this show needs? a beautiful alien". They were blasting 7of9 from VOY and Anise as SG1's reaction

Comment

That episode was rebroadcasted yesterday night here in Germany and it was just hilarious again. I laughed so hard when the Sam fake asked about the 'out of phase' thing.
                      It says I'm out of phase, so I can pass my hand through solid matter, or walk through walls. So, how come I don't fall through the floor?

[Long pause]

Heh, and so much of the truth.. when Martin said that market research said that a sexy alien lady means more viewers. Well, wouldnt be so new and funny, but now, years later, that I know of Vala...

Anyways, great episode.. had again so much fun watching it (and yes, it was dubbed, as this is normal in Germany, but it was great nevertheless.)
                      "Anything in any way beautiful derives its beauty from itself and asks nothing beyond itself. Praise is no part of it, for nothing is made worse or better by praise."

Comment

Wormhole X-treme rules! I like the ending where the Daniel-type-guy kept getting hit by the rocks! Classic

Comment

I liked how this episode poked fun at Star Trek with the Kirk type character and all. The storyline though wasn't very dramatic, so this episode was so-so.

Comment

Wormhole X-treme was an awesome episode! I like sci-fi with a sense of humor and I like a dramatic storyline with someone who always laughs in the face of danger, like Jack! That's what I love about stargate!
                            sigpic
                            + = <3

Comment

This was a fun episode, though a little part of me couldn't help but feel they could of used what was a brilliant premise a little bit better, but it was certainly good. A fitting enough episode for the big 100th episode. I wish Sam and Daniel could of been in it a bit more, but ah well, 'twas fun.
                              "I have read of a place where humans do battle in a ring of Jello..."

Comment

i thought wormhole extrteme was hilarious. great ep. i like how they use all of the producers and such in the show. one thing that bugs me is that, in a couple of other episodes, they storm a building with who knows what in ther with pistols!!!!!! P-90 mabe, or MP5-k, Mini-uzi, i mean come on an M9!!!!
                                sigpic
                                Thanks to WingedPegasus and myself for the sigs, and to Myn for the userbar.

Comment

Working...
                                X