No announcement yet.

The Tomb (508)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plus if Marduk knew how to ring out of the tomb, why was he stuck in the sarcophagus?

Comment

Didn't you watch the episode? It was sealed shut
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

Comment

Yes, I did see it. But what is the purpose of sealing a sarcophagus as opposed to any other box, AND have a ringing device to get out of the tomb?

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
        Didn't you watch the episode? It was sealed shut

Comment

So the person inside can't get out
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

And gets eaten over and over again, because the sarcophagus would keep them alive and heal the wounds while the creature stays alive as well and basically has an all you can eat buffet. It's a rather genius and cruel form of torture/revenge.
            Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
            Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
            On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

You mean that the creature was stored with Marduk inside the sarcophagus?
              In that case, what was the point of having the ringing transport system inside the tomb?

Originally posted by fems View Post
              And gets eaten over and over again, because the sarcophagus would keep them alive and heal the wounds while the creature stays alive as well and basically has an all you can eat buffet. It's a rather genius and cruel form of torture/revenge.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2 View Post
                In that case, what was the point of having the ringing transport system inside the tomb?
                It was there before Marduk got stuck in the sarcophagus. When Daniel read the history of the place, he said something about people seeing Marduk riding a beam of light from one place to another ... which immediately suggested to him ring transporters. And to quote Daniel it's a "ziggurat", not a tomb or pyramid. I think "The Tomb" simply referred to how many people had died in the thing.

Comment

Yes, do you not listen to what they say?

DANIEL
                  Well, apparently, he was such an evil tyrant that his own priests rebelled against him. They sealed him in the sarcophagus and placed some thing in there with him. There's no direct translation for the word, but I'm assuming it's a reference to the creature that ate him.

CARTER
                  Are you saying he was eaten alive?

DANIEL
                  The sarcophagus would have done its best to continually keep him alive, so… it probably would have taken a while.

TOLINEV
                  (In Russian)
                  My God.

O'NEILL
                  Okay, that's officially the worst way to go.

TEAL'C
                  It would seem his fate is very well-deserved.

DANIEL
                  Marduk would have died eventually but the creature must have stayed alive in the sarcophagus until Major Kirensky and his men came along.

CARTER
                  They let it out; it killed them.

Like Hedwig said, Daniel explained this too:

DANIEL
                  (a bit shaken)
                  I was going to say that I just finished translating a section of the text. It says that Marduk used to emerge from his temple and appear amongst his people riding a beam of white light.

CARTER
                  A ring transporter?

DANIEL
                  Yeah. And there's a good chance it might be right here in this room.

In the beginning of the episode Daniel mentioned the following:

O'NEILL
                  Have you figured out how to open that pyramid yet?

DANIEL
                  Ziggurat. And yes, I think I have. In order to expedite matters, the Russians e-mailed me the entire report of their archaeologist, Dr. Britski. The temple is dedicated to the Babylonian God, Marduk.

CARTER
                  And Marduk was a Goa'uld?

DANIEL
                  Well, it seems likely. The word "Babylon" literally means "Gate of the Gods," so if there is a connection, it wouldn't surprise me.

So, Marduk's followers hated his guts and to get rid of him they stuffed him in his own sarcophagus, in his own temple, with the creature in it and then closed it from the outside. Even if someone managed to open the sarcophagus the ziggurat was booby trapped to ensure the Goa'uld could not escape the temple (unless of course it also knew about the ring transport, knew where the hidden control panel was and how to activate it).
                  Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                  On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

I missed this part:
                    DANIEL
                    They sealed him in the sarcophagus and placed some thing in there with him. There's no direct translation for the word, but I'm assuming it's a reference to the creature that ate him.I also missed the idea that the zigurat was both a TEMPLE and a burial chamber. That's why I couldn't understand why there would be a ring transporter.....

While we're at it, what exactly was the nature of the device that the Russian colonel discovered on the body of Krensky and that the goa'uld Marduk wanted back from him??
                    Last edited by Dave2; 01 December 2011, 01:25 PM.

Comment

While we're at it, what exactly was the nature of the device that the Russian colonel discovered on the body of Krensky and that the goa'uld Marduk wanted back from him??
                      You'll find out when you get to Season 6, "Full Circle", but it seems to be a device that gives whoever has it and others a great deal more power than if they didn't have them.

And once again I have to ask why you want to know the answer to all these things before you get your answers in later episodes? You're spoiling later episodes with all these questions and wanting to know now what the answers are.

Comment

You do seem to ask a lot of questions which are clearly explained in the episodes, or at least are easy to deduce with a bit of imagination! Concentrate, dude!
                        Last edited by LeftHandedGuitarist; 02 December 2011, 05:30 AM.
                        Private guitar tuition | Return To Grace - rock/pop party band

Comment

How am I supposed to know whether something is covered in a later episode?

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                          You'll find out when you get to Season 6, "Full Circle", but it seems to be a device that gives whoever has rtit and others a great deal more power than if they didn't have them.

And once again I have to ask why you want to know the answer to all these things before you get your answers in later episodes? You're spoiling later episodes with all these questions and wanting to know now what the answers are.

Comment

Well, let's just say they're pretty good at continuity.
                            On FFnet or AO3

Comment

How am I supposed to know whether something is covered in a later episode?
                              Wait and see? Like the rest of us did. I really don't want to know ahead of time how something works out. So the key is patience.

Comment

Seriously, then, you are suggesting that we all wait to go through 10 years of episodes before wondering about issues on a given episode? Even this website has episode pages where questions are asked, although they are probably all questions that are never answered on the show itself.

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                                Wait and see? Like the rest of us did. I really don't want to know ahead of time how something works out. So the key is patience.

Comment

Working...
                                X