The Tomb (508)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave2 View Post
    Seriously, then, you are suggesting that we all wait to go through 10 years of episodes before wondering about issues on a given episode? Even this website has episode pages where questions are asked, although they are probably all questions that are never answered on the show itself.
    Yes. Any show with some kind of continuity has you asking questions. No show tells you everything. It would't advance the plot if it stopped to answer every question
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Seriously, then, you are suggesting that we all wait to go through 10 years of episodes before wondering about issues on a given episode? Even this website has episode pages where questions are asked, although they are probably all questions that are never answered on the show itself.
      Seriously? Yes. A lot of other people had to do that when the show was on the air. They had to be patient from week to week to find out what was going to happen next. If you really, really want to know your answers, sit down and watch several episodes per day if you have the time and you'll get through those 10 years faster.

I'm not saying don't wonder about things until you've seen all the episodes, though. There's nothing wrong with having questions right now. But trying to get answers right now just spoils future episodes and any surprises that might be in them.

These days, it's hard to not know something in advance of seeing an episode just because all of them are on DVD and a person can just pop them in any time and watch something out of order to get an answer (or read through the threads on GW). And many people are still willing to not do that, and are willing to wait and see an episode without knowing what's going to happen.

I have to wonder, though, how you deal with life, since you can't know ahead of time how most things are going to turn out.

Comment

Hedwig, you are correct on this point except for the fact that we are not THEN, we are NOW, when the entire series is available and the situation is different. So you'll have to give me pointers on which kinds of questions I should be allowed to ask and which not.......

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
        Seriously? Yes. A lot of other people had to do that when the show was on the air. They had to be patient from week to week to find out what was going to happen next. If you really, really want to know your answers, sit down and watch several episodes per day if you have the time and you'll get through those 10 years faster.

I'm not saying don't wonder about things until you've seen all the episodes, though. There's nothing wrong with having questions right now. But trying to get answers right now just spoils future episodes and any surprises that might be in them.

These days, it's hard to not know something in advance of seeing an episode just because all of them are on DVD and a person can just pop them in any time and watch something out of order to get an answer (or read through the threads on GW). And many people are still willing to not do that, and are willing to wait and see an episode without knowing what's going to happen.

I have to wonder, though, how you deal with life, since you can't know ahead of time how most things are going to turn out.

Comment

...except for the fact that we are not THEN, we are NOW, when the entire series is available and the situation is different.
          True. So, again, why not just watch as many as you can in as short a time as you can to find out your answers

you'll have to give me pointers on which kinds of questions I should be allowed to ask and which not.......
          No pointers necessary. There are no questions that are right or wrong if you don't know the answers. It just doesn't make sense to a lot of people to keep asking questions when you can easily find the answers just by watching the episodes (it's more enjoyable to watch and find out - IMO).

A good example of the above would be "Learning Curve" where Merrin wanted to just show Sam how to use the generator, and Sam wouldn't let her because she wanted to figure it out for herself. Merrin didn't understand that, and Sam's thinking was "it's not fun if I can't figure it out for myself" or "I don't learn as much if I don't figure it out for myself".

I'm not trying to be mean or unkind, but I can't help but be reminded of the little kid who keeps asking "why?", or "are we there yet?" with all the questions you keep asking.

If you don't know the answers, it's always fine to ask. Just don't be surprised if people get impatient with the number of questions asked when the answers are so simple to find by just watching the episodes. (You may have noticed that in the replies from other forum members.)

If you get all your questions answered, then there's really no point in watching more episodes?
          Last edited by hedwig; 02 December 2011, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Most of the time i think I am trying to get the complete context straight. But I see your point.

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
            True. So, again, why not just watch as many as you can in as short a time as you can to find out your answers

No pointers necessary. There are no questions that are right or wrong if you don't know the answers. It just doesn't make sense to a lot of people to keep asking questions when you can easily find the answers just by watching the episodes (it's more enjoyable to watch and find out - IMO).

A good example of the above would be "Learning Curve" where Merrin wanted to just show Sam how to use the generator, and Sam wouldn't let her because she wanted to figure it out for herself. Merrin didn't understand that, and Sam's thinking was "it's not fun if I can't figure it out for myself" or "I don't learn as much if I don't figure it out for myself".

I'm not trying to be mean or unkind, but I can't help but be reminded of the little kid who keeps asking "why?", or "are we there yet?" with all the questions you keep asking.

If you don't know the answers, it's always fine to ask. Just don't be surprised if people get impatient with the number of questions asked when the answers are so simple to find by just watching the episodes. (You may have noticed that in the replies from other forum members.)

If you get all your questions answered, then there's really no point in watching more episodes?

Comment

I'd be surprised if nobody asked this question yet, but I don't feel like reading through seven pages of comments.
              Why didn't the Goa'uld escape the creature the first time and invade one of the first group of Russians, thus escaping the tomb, instead of eating them alive and waiting for another group to arrive so he could escape? OR was this prevented by the first group taking the cyanide pills?

Comment

Originally posted by liminoid View Post
                I'd be surprised if nobody asked this question yet, but I don't feel like reading through seven pages of comments.
                Why didn't the Goa'uld escape the creature the first time and invade one of the first group of Russians, thus escaping the tomb, instead of eating them alive and waiting for another group to arrive so he could escape? OR was this prevented by the first group taking the cyanide pills?
                The tomb was closed, they were locked in. For some reason the Goa'uld didn't think of jumping into one of the Russians to use the ring platform, or maybe after the Goa'uld had killed one or two Russians they all took their pill and he couldn't make it to them in time.
                Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

I'm strangely fond of this episode. It doesn't have a lot of action, IMO it has limited tension (we know SG1 is going to make it) and they don't take a lot of trouble to hide who the goa'uld is. But I like it anyway.

Seaboe
                  If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

In my Halls of Res flat I put a VHS into the machine...

1. Was surprised to see the Russians back in business but the basic idea seemed interesting.

2. The zinging between SG1 and the Russian team...my Dad worked with Russians back in the 90s and this doesn't seem to be too inaccurate a portrayal of their attitude.

3. ULtimately a case of SG1 doing a horror movie type scenario and working pretty well.

4. First apparance of Checkov....and the Russians clearly weren't going away any time soon.

Very nice ep!
                    I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Why did the goa'uld in this ep have a personal shield? I thought they weren't invented until much later. They first came upon it in the ep the Nox. And was seen from then on. I also remember Teal'c saying he hasn't seen the shields before.

Anyway. Pretty good ep. I liked the interaction between SG-1 and the Russian team. The creature gave the ep some cool horror elements.

Would hate to be the Goa'uld that was getting eaten alive.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lieutenant Sparrow View Post
                        Why did the goa'uld in this ep have a personal shield? I thought they weren't invented until much later. They first came upon it in the ep the Nox. And was seen from then on. I also remember Teal'c saying he hasn't seen the shields before.
                        Because, for purposes of drama, it made sense he would have one. Plus, whoever wrote the Nox couldn't see into the future to know that they'd need a goa'uld with a shield four years later.

Seaboe
                        If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Plus, before Teal'c turned on his "God" and joined the Tau'ri no one ever seemed to attack the Goa'uld personally, just the Jaffa fighting each other or taking over a planet with defenseless people. They never had the need to use it because they weren't directly attacked, or at least not with any Jaffa witnessing it. Just because Teal'c had never seen it doesn't mean the shield was new. Osiris probably had one too on his ribbon device.
                          Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                          Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                          On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

A good episode, loved it when I first saw it and continue to with re-watches.

I thought the tomb set was well done, gave a good sense of the passing of the ages, with added danger from an unknown creature with the instability of the ziggurat's structure thrown it for good measure! (Funny pyramid vs ziggurat exchange between Daniel and Jack!)

I still jumped in surprise when the dying creature fell on Carter! Totally forgot about that scene. The creature was suitably creepy looking, you could certainly imagine that thing snacking on human flesh!

Comment

I thought it was an average SG-1 episode.

Chekov was introduced (he'll be back in 48 Hours). And 75% of the Redshirt Russian team didn't make it back.

The Commentary:
                              • Joe and Paul pitched this episode in Season 4, but the they couldn't afford it.
                              • They (Joe & Paul) had issues writing the script, which were solved with the Russian aspect of the episode
                              • RDA got into trouble with that Gate slap (cost $3,000 I believe). They considered taking it out of RDA's pay
                              • Iraq was chosen because of it's Babylon roots and because they can't access that country anymore.
                              • They dropped a beanbag on Carter's shoulder, can replaced it with alien.

Tomorrow, the Tollan are back as is the evil Tanith.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NowIWillDestroyAbydos View Post
                                RDA got into trouble with that Gate slap (cost $3,000 I believe). They considered taking it out of RDA's pay
                                $3000 to make an extra ripple??

My LiveJournal post
                                "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
                                "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
                                "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
                                "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

sigpic
                                >-- Czechs Rock! >--

Comment

Working...
                                X