No announcement yet.

Rite of Passage (506)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't like Cassie in this episode but, being a Fraiser fan, I loved the episode.
    sigpic

Comment

I love how Peter DeLuise keeps referring to Janet as Teryl when describing what Janet the character does. I've come to doing that, too.

It probably goes without saying that I absolutely love Teryl/Janet in this episode. She is usually so "contained," as Teryl says, and professional that the last thing we'd expect is for her to knock out a guard and pull a gun on a prisoner, but here we are. She's in "mama bear" mode, and I say go, girl! The only time this happens again as far as my feeble memory can recall is in Lifeboat, but I think this only adds to her strength of character. There are so many times that she nearly has to watch her friends die in her care, but she doesn't break down. I wouldn't be able to do that.

I'd like to think that in the beginning, Cassie is irritable because she's getting sick, but I don't know. She comes across as a bit bratty, still. All the same, it was nice that there was closure at the end, which isn't always the case in this show. I truly love mother-daughter stories, so I appreciate the ending.

I wouldn't say this is one of my favorite Stargate episode plots, but it creates the conditions for my favorite character to show more of her true self, pushing her to the limit, so this is certainly high on my list of favorite episodes.

ETA: I've changed my mind about something - this is one of my favorite stories. The mother-daughter theme is inextricable to the plot, and I just love the whole thing. By now, this is probably my most watched ep to date.

Also, who doesn't like seeing ninja Nirrti?
      Last edited by Janet Fraiser; 26 April 2015, 11:30 PM.
      rest easy now

sigpic

everything will be all right

// tumblr //

Comment

Very evil, very good Nirrti, very caring mother/doctor and a very revolting teenager - interesting ep inside the base, a bit more of the characters is revealed.
        CARPE DIEM
        ANJA

Comment

This is one of my fave Nerrti based eps.

Comment

somehow I never managed to see any chemistry between Janet and Cassandra. Even after all those years Cassie is still closer to Carter, as she was in Singularity.... Love Dr.Frasier btw so it has nothing to do with the actress

Comment

Cassie wasn't herself in this ep - maybe she seemed detached for that reason. And - after all - it was Carter who stayed with during the decisive minutes.
              CARPE DIEM
              ANJA

Comment

I don't think it's fair to talk about how difficult Cassie was in this episode. It was determined that she was going through some sort of changes inflicted on her by Nirrti, which would account for the poor behavior she was displaying even before she wound up in the infirmary at the SGC. And as to whether Janet should have been her doctor (Janet being her mother after all), Cassie's condition was top secret and thus no one else knew it better than Janet. There were no other doctors who could legitimately be called in to try and help her.

Comment

I don't agree with that one. The SGC is suppose to have the best of the best when it comes to doctors. All Cassie's stuff would be documented due to her being from an alien planet.
                  Originally posted by aretood2
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

I agree, Anja, of course it was Carter who was always with Cassie when it really mattered. That's the problem for me - the girl's relationship with Janet wasn't just written well. And Teryl is trying to "play" mother, saying "I'm your mother" and stuff like that, but we just never really see it on screen. Well well, 40 minutes long episodes, I understand...

As for Cassie detached in this episode - it starts from the very beginning of the episode, when she still feels fine. No respect for her "mother" whatsoever. And this is an "alien" child, raised in more traditional culture than that of USA or Canada. Realistically she would be much more grateful and "well-behaved", IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Queen Guinevere View Post
                      As for Cassie detached in this episode - it starts from the very beginning of the episode, when she still feels fine. No respect for her "mother" whatsoever. And this is an "alien" child, raised in more traditional culture than that of USA or Canada. Realistically she would be much more grateful and "well-behaved", IMO.
                      She's a teenager... isn't that what teenagers do?
                      Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I also say she is a teen and maybe she was already under the influence of Niirtis experiment because she collapsed only some minutes later.
                        CARPE DIEM
                        ANJA

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                          I don't agree with that one. The SGC is suppose to have the best of the best when it comes to doctors. All Cassie's stuff would be documented due to her being from an alien planet.
                          I disagree with your disagreement. Being documented is far different from having first hand experience with alien life. Janet has been dealing with aliens since the first season of the series, and so has the most first hand experience of anyone.

Comment

yep, in modern western culture. This kind of behavior do not exist outside of certain geographic area and time frame (last 50 years?). But I can accept that Cassie changed so much in the last four or five seasons - formative years and stuff

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                              I disagree with your disagreement. Being documented is far different from having first hand experience with alien life. Janet has been dealing with aliens since the first season of the series, and so has the most first hand experience of anyone.
                              And so have several doctors at the SGC.
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Queen Guinevere View Post
                                I agree with this. I didn't expect Cassie to turn into that kind of brat I often see on American TV, especially with Janet as her mother. Maybe that's normal over there or it could be Janet's possibly insane work hours, I guess. But yeah strange way to portray her.. Annoying as it was a nice setup with the birthday cake and Sam, I was looking forward to some civilized conversation about the past.

Comment

Working...
                                X