No announcement yet.

Red Sky (505)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nothing takes me out of an episode more than a caption declaring the passage of an inordinate matter of time. The "One Year Later" in Absolute Power bothered me and the "Three Weeks Later" here has a similar effect. A few days pass during the course of an episode and I don't mind. Over a week? Make it a two-parter or cinch the story up a bit.
    END OF LINE

Comment

Well in Red Sky it didn't bother me TOO much, although in Absoloute Power it really tipped me off to the (spoiler)suprise ending.
      [email protected]
      http://underworld-x.com

I pledge allegiance to the underworld
      One nation under dog
      There of which I stand alone
      A face in the crowd
      Unsung, against the mold
      Without a doubt
      Singled out
      The only way I know

Comment

I like this episode. It's not one of my favorets, but it was pretty good. Oh and by the way, did anyone else notice that the old guy sounded like Bells father in Beauty and the Beast?
        *Rachel Luttrel* "Where are the bathrooms on Atlantis?" Now what the heck kinda question is that?

Comment

This ep was pretty good, gave us a more readily available way to contact the Asgard. it also kinda kills a lot of Star Trek, Kirk shows where they went down to the planet and the atmosphere turned out to be red (I think at least a third of 'em turned out that way). If I was the guy who came up with that super-heavy element, though, I would've wanted to go through the Stargate as well, not just look at it.
          Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?

Comment

No see i liked this one, if only because it showed thatthey mess up, plus we saw a side tooneill that we all know is there, and should have come out on more occasions in my opinion

Comment

Originally posted by Majson
              No see i liked this one, if only because it showed thatthey mess up, plus we saw a side tooneill that we all know is there, and should have come out on more occasions in my opinion
              I thought having O'Neill flip out on an alien was a good move - but then again, Malachus was the kind of peson who'd naturally annoy him. I don't think any 'friendly' human has ever killed members of the SGC - usually their deaths are due either Jaffa the work of Goa'uld, or some unkillable higher alien being. It was about time a someone who caused something like this was on the recieving end of Jack's anger.

I also liked a chance to see more Asgard!
              Last edited by Hywel; 25 March 2005, 12:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dramaqueen
                On the commentary Martin Wood said that he would have liked to see that the problem could not be fixed (however it actually was fixed in the end). I kind of like the idea and it would have been, IMHO a better ending for the story instead of this don't-know-whether-god-or-the-Asgard-saved-the-day ending.
                But except for the ending I liked this ep. I liked the look of the planet with the sun getting redder and redder.
                And Carter explaining physics with fruit, LOL
                Yea i would of liked to see the problem not fixed, instead have it show that SG-1 arn't super heroes and that not everything ends well.

Comment

Yeah, mixed feeling about this ep - it wasn't the ending so much that bothered me, though. I thought the rocket was dumb, BUT it led to one of the greatest SG-1 scenes ever when Jack attacked Malchus.

Also, another reason I have mixed feelings is because of the entire 7 or 8 min. scene when jack, sam, and daniel go down and talk with the asgard high council - well done in every way (including the hilarious "fix the damn sun" joke, one of my favorites of all time).

Comment

Do you think that they visit K'Teau often. Probably they go to there or Chimmira to contact the Asgard or do we get in touch with the Asgard in another way?
                    Lord Zedd

Comment

We know that at least K'tau is used as a way to contact the Asgard thanks for "Failsafe".
                      Yes, I really do look like (a younger) Daniel. Don't believe me? Look for yourself.

Hey, Mitchell! You want a turn?

Comment

1. if they bypassed a bunch of dialling protocols to get to the planet, how on earth does the unchanged, un-fiddled-with DHD dial earth again?
                        2. wouldnt they cause the same problem or make it worse everytime they use the gate?
                        I wondered about this too. I suspect a plothole...

I was really, really pissed off when Malachus and Co. blew up the rocket. That was downright evil, wasteful, etc. I would have loved it if Jack had killed him, or at least injured him severely.

And I definitely agree that Jack has that side to him.

The Asgard and all other 'non-interventionists' drive me nuts. The whole treaty thing really IS a joke, and besides, they weren't interfering with a 'natural' disaster, which was their excuse for not helping -- it was 'unnaturally' caused by SG1. I kept wanted to yell at the Asgard when they said that...

Comment

another village/god storyline...

Comment

As well as seeing a dark side to Jack we also see a more smart side as well because he got something about Gate physics right!
                            You've just got to love that smirk on his face when he discovers he's right
                            "No Buzz I AM your Father" Zurg Toy Story 2

"I'll level with you Bob My names not Kirk it's Skywalker Luke Skywalker" O'Neill 1969

Comment

Originally posted by fair_nymph
                              The Asgard and all other 'non-interventionists' drive me nuts. The whole treaty thing really IS a joke, and besides, they weren't interfering with a 'natural' disaster, which was their excuse for not helping -- it was 'unnaturally' caused by SG1. I kept wanted to yell at the Asgard when they said that...
                              But what choice did the Asgard have? It doesn't matter what caused the problem, or whether it's a natural disaster or not. That is, in the end, irrelevant. The purpose of the treaty is to keep as many worlds as possible free of Goa'uld domination and conquest. To get that, the Asgard have had to forfeit the prerogative to help out if those worlds get themselves into trouble. They can only intervene if the problem is one of the signatory System Lords. That's the nature of a treaty - you have to give to get.

Of course, the treaty was agreed before the Tauri made their debut on the galactic dancefloor - so there is no provision in it for rectifying damage caused by an SG team being naughty with their dialling protocols. The fact that they've carked up some innocent planet's sun in doing so is not the fault of the Asgard; and, while it's not a 'natural' event per se, I can't see the System Lords agreeing a new sub-clause for the treaty which allows the Asgard to clean up after bumbling Tauri Exploration Teams.

While the Treaty prevents the Asgard from artificially enhancing the technological development of the protected worlds, it makes no mention of visits from any other race - they're free to do what they want. So an 'alien visit' could still be classed as contributing to the natural evolution of the planet - as long as it's not the Asgard. There's no wriggling out of this - and the High Council's hands are collectively tied.

I would be very surprised if the System Lords didn't keep a very close eye on how the Asgard deal with the protected planets, just waiting for a situation like this. You can bet that, the moment there's any hint of a treaty violation, it'll be no more Mr(s) Nice Goa'uld. The treaty would be history, and so would billions of people. All because SG1 bent their own rules.

If anyone deserves brickbats for this, it's SG1. Not the Asgard.

Actually, it's an interesting twist to see SG1 (albeit accidentally) being the agents of disaster in an episode rather than the force for positive change. There are lots of risks inherent in Stargate travel, and they aren't always obvious - particularly for people dealing with technology they don't entirely understand. In some ways, this has made them just a tad cocky, and sooner or later it was going to bite them in the butt - unfortunately, it's biting the people of K'tau in the butt, too.
                              Last edited by Chaka's_Mum; 01 November 2005, 03:35 AM.
                              sigpic

Comment

I had a problem with how the Asgard interpreted and applied the treaty. The Treaty prevents the Asgard from artificially enhancing the technological development of the protected worlds. Well just fixing the sun so the planet (or life on the planet) is not lost, is NOT doing anything to enhance their technological development. So it should have been OK for them to do this.

Comment

Working...
                                X