No announcement yet.

Ascension (503)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An okay ep. Not really one of my favourites, yet still watchable.

Orlin sure came off as creepy. I hate how even now the SGC still assumes someone's crazy when they act different or say they have seen an alien or something. By now they should know better. Everything they have seen and all. This applies to the next ep as well.

The mini gate was awesome. I so want one. Plane flights are so long and boring.

Simmons is such an ass. Give me Woolsey any day.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Chronus View Post
      However one thing that stands out to me is the Car Sam drives.. "anyone know what it is?"
      Volvo P1800. I know that's an old post, but just in case anyone wondered.. (And yes, I did have to get my dad to tell me. He's a classic car buff )
      BTW, I like the pictures of Jacob and the family in her house

My LiveJournal post
      A bit late, but LJ was being painfully slow today and then stopped working altogether. Then Dad dragged me off to Status Quo.
      "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
      "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
      "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
      "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

sigpic
      >-- Czechs Rock! >--

Comment

Originally posted by Lieutenant Sparrow View Post
        An okay ep. Not really one of my favourites, yet still watchable.

Orlin sure came off as creepy. I hate how even now the SGC still assumes someone's crazy when they act different or say they have seen an alien or something. By now they should know better. Everything they have seen and all. This applies to the next ep as well.
        Especially after what happened to Daniel in "Legacy". And then there was "Urgo". And the events of "Window of Opportunity" - which, if you notice, nobody thought Jack or Teal'c was crazy. They were believed almost immediately and everybody jumped to try and figure it out; they didn't get sent for a psych evaluation - though they did have to endure repeated physicals in the infirmary.

Originally posted by NowIWillDestroyAbydos
        Tomorrow, some guy thinks he's a member of SG-1.
        More like he's got SG1 convinced they have an extra teammate.

Comment

So, ascension makes Ancients turn into stalkers! Or they still go insane when banished to a life of isolation as punishment!

Always thought of this as the weirdest SG episode, it just seemed so odd that Sam had an alien fall in 'love' with her out of the blue with no rhyme or reason behind it.

Orlin's DIY stargate he built in the basement out of every day objects found on Earth is definitely the highlight of this episode!

Comment

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
            Always thought of this as the weirdest SG episode, it just seemed so odd that Sam had an alien fall in 'love' with her out of the blue with no rhyme or reason behind it.
            He's not much different than any of the other alien men who have fallen in love with Sam they all seem to, then they all die.
            Oh for a book and a shady nook ~ Jules' Book Reviews - my book review site.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
              Especially after what happened to Daniel in "Legacy". And then there was "Urgo". And the events of "Window of Opportunity" - which, if you notice, nobody thought Jack or Teal'c was crazy. They were believed almost immediately and everybody jumped to try and figure it out; they didn't get sent for a psych evaluation - though they did have to endure repeated physicals in the infirmary.
              I think it was also because they'd all just been saying how tense and overworked she was and that she should take some time off to relax... then she comes up with this story about some invisible dude that wants to crash at her place. Yes, they should have believed her but all in all I don't think it was that bad considering the circumstances of the episode's beginning.
              Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
              Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
              On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
                I think it was also because they'd all just been saying how tense and overworked she was and that she should take some time off to relax... then she comes up with this story about some invisible dude that wants to crash at her place. Yes, they should have believed her but all in all I don't think it was that bad considering the circumstances of the episode's beginning.
                Being overworked and tired does not make a person delusional; it just makes them overworked and tired. They should have at least made a few allowances for the possibility to be true. After all, they had been through the whole Daniel "Legacy" situation, and found out he was not crazy or having mental problems and he actually was hearing Machello. So why treat Sam so harshly and not even take any of that into account.

Wasn't this the episode in which Jack actually admitted they all thought Sam was crazy? I find that hard to accept after everything they've been through for five years.

It was fine to check and dismiss all the "usual suspects" (and the "circumstances of the episode's beginning"). But once that was out of the way, they should have had more trust in her than to completely dismiss her as "nuts". They should have sat down and said "okay, what if she's actually right?" They'd do it for Jack, and Teal'c. Why not Sam? Or Daniel?

Comment

Here's something very very important that I was wondering about... Sam seems to spend a lot of nights at the SGC without returning to her house. Why is she still subscribing to the newspaper?

Unrelatedly, Sam's neighbors must be kind of freaked out. It was already a bit weird to have a dozen or so people inspecting her property, but then the military parked in the street and went into her house with guns o_O

Comment

I'm not sure about this one. Its nice that we learned a few things of ascension primarily people known as "the others." I like seeing the consquences of how a superior weapon corrupts a society. It may be a little cynical to think that is what happens to a society but power corrupts. And I have always liked Col. Simmons as an adversary. Maybourne is a saint compared to Simmons. I just like his villiany. The interaction between Carter and Orlin creeps me out. How easy she accepets Orlin as sincere and Orlin's stalker attiude creeps me out. Its just weird to me.

Also I never got to see Tealc do battle in a ring of jello
                    Originally posted by aretood2
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

I liked this episode more the second time I watched it. I really liked how Orlan retained his knowledge of the Ancients and was able to amazing things, like make an emerald for Sam, not to mention, BUILD A STARGATE IN HER BASEMENT!!!! That was awesome. I also thought it was funny how, apprently in the process of building the gate, he somehow ruined her toaster. "oh,by the way, you're going to need a new toaster". Same thing with the emerald and her microwave. It's that sublte, funny stuff that makes you laugh while saying 'what?!"
                      Yes, Col. Simmons is a creep, even if he is "Q".
                      sigpic

Comment

After the disappointing start of this season (T'ealc's brainwash) this one left me in a much better mood.

Sam: "Please don't say: Take it easy"

Orlan was great, he could be of help later, I hope, building stuff out of toasters :

Comment

Black Widow Carter strikes again! Did Sam really need another alien boyfriend? I don't think so. Two would be enough for most women! Orlin is much more boring than Martouf or Narim in spite of the fact that the Ascended are more interesting than the Tollan and the Tok'ra combined. This is one of the series' relatively few relationship heavy episodes not involving either Daniel or Teal'c and, as with "Singularity", "Show and Tell" and "A Hundred Days", it wasn't much to write home about really. In many respects, it's the archetypal Season Five episode in that it was fairly boring but not exactly bad.

For my money, it's most notable for introducing Colonel Frank Simmons, as played by the always wonderful John de Lancie, who was Maybourne's successor as the NID thorn in the SGC's side and for re-introducing Colonel Reynolds, as played by Eric Breker, whose only previous appearance was as a major working at Area 51 in Season Two's "Touchstone". After another two year absence, he became the series' most frequently seen and most reliable SG-team member / leader (outside of SG-1, of course!) in Seasons 7-10. He also appeared in The Ark of Truth.
                          Eugene V. Debs (1855-1926)

I have no country to fight for. My country is the Earth. I am a citizen of the world.

When great changes occur in history, when great principles are involved, as a rule the majority are wrong.

Comment

Sean Patrick Flannery as Orlin... I think he was cute, and his infatuation with Sam is cute too. Though, that creditcard bill's gonna go through the roof, him building a stargate in her basement and all.

Glowy sex... I mean, the sharing of minds.

So, we find a big honkin' space-gun ... which was originally used to wipe out the great scourge. And then the humans used it for their gain... Of course, you're going to get wiped out by the superior beings... HELLO!! You shouldn't have had the technology in the first place... Okay, total annihilation is a bit drastic but well... I guess they knew what was best.

And then Earth wants to experiment with it... HELLO - curiousity does kill the cat! We'll be the end of ourselves in the end.

And he ascends in the end, given another chance... aw...
                            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

I liked the episode but thought Sam jumped into the relationship to fast. They share minds and suddenly she is all like lets make alien babies.

Comment

Great episode. Again, Ms Tapping shines.

She has a lovely house, perhaps too nice and big for someone who lives by herslef.

I didn't like the fact she fell into the relationship a bit fast. It made her come across desperate, something she isn't.
                                Currently Watching: Stargate SG1 and Stargate Atlantis
                                Planning to watch: Dark Angel, Star Trek Enterprise and many more

Comment

Working...
                                X