Prodigy (419)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
    The other thing I wondered, rewatching this and the way she analysed things why she wasn't thought of when everyone was at a loss with dialling the ninth chevron in SGU! She seemed as capable as Eli! The fireworks that would have ensued between her and Rush would have made for interesting viewing I'm sure!
    That is such a great point! Oh...I wish they had thought of that when making SGU...the actress was quite good, and Haley's personality and stature would have lead to some interesting conflicts & assumptions (she's so petite & looks all of 12 years old!).

Originally posted by Jae'a View Post
    My LiveJournal post

I'd just like to include something in my LJ post here, just in case you decide to skip it..

It's about the glowy creatures:
    "Sam and Hailey theorise why they attacked the scientists, killing one of them. Sam thinks they might have been angry about one of them being imprisoned, but Hailey thinks they are simply reacting to the moon's magnetic field, which changes during its orbit. I think this conflict is quite significant, in that Sam's theory is influenced by the fact that she has been to many worlds and seen many alien creatures which many may assume not to be intelligent or sentient, but it turns out they are, or at least there's more to them than first thought. Hailey doesn't have that experience so she draws from her scientific knowledge and experience."

Is this a valid point? Is there something in this, or am I overthinking things again?
    Valid point...nice food for thought -thanks for including it!

I'm only annoyed by Hailey because the writers cast her as annoying as a plot device. When you see her in 'Proving Ground' later, it gives you a different perspective on her personality and developement. I like her. I think she was an under-utilitzed secondary character, and I wish we had seen more of her (I'm going to include her in some fic that I write).

I imagine that as part of the SGC, she and Sam probably did research togther -I can see Sam becoming a kind of mentor to her.
    sigpic
    sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
    "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Originally posted by SaraBahama View Post
      I'm only annoyed by Hailey because the writers cast her as annoying as a plot device. When you see her in 'Proving Ground' later, it gives you a different perspective on her personality and development.
      By the time of Proving Ground, thanks in part to the events in Prodigy, she has lost the chip on her shoulder. I've known people under similar circumstances, both before and after the chipectomy. Believe me, it's like a complete personality transplant. She's not the same person in PG as she was in plain P (when she was a plain Pain).

Seaboe
      If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

A lot people didn't like Cadet Hailey that much. I guess I am not one of those people. She is hardly anything to praise about but is nothing anything to complain about. The character is a plot device of what she is meant to be. That being a plot device for Carter to serve as a prodige. Maybe its the setting but I just like seeing this different side of Sam being superior and giving the orders for once. As for the light aliens it was something new that to mean that was interesting. Kind of wish we could of have seen more of them instead of them turning crazy. We never did find out who was right. Wish we would have seen what caused the light aliens to turn homocidal.
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Jae'a View Post
          Sam thinks they might have been angry about one of them being imprisoned, but Hailey thinks they are simply reacting to the moon's magnetic field, which changes during its orbit. I think this conflict is quite significant, in that Sam's theory is influenced by the fact that she has been to many worlds and seen many alien creatures which many may assume not to be intelligent or sentient, but it turns out they are, or at least there's more to them than first thought. Hailey doesn't have that experience so she draws from her scientific knowledge and experience.
          That's a good point. Figuring out the little energy beings may be partly a matter of physics; but it's also a matter of dealing with aliens, and obviously Sam has a lot of experience with that. I mean, earlier in this season SG-1 met sentient water... if that happened to me I'm sure I'd spend the next several months feeling like all sorts of creatures and objects could be watching me and... judging me...

The first time I saw this ep I thought Hailey was going to be a recurring character in the future, after all that setup. I think she would've been interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by syncline View Post
            That's a good point. Figuring out the little energy beings may be partly a matter of physics; but it's also a matter of dealing with aliens, and obviously Sam has a lot of experience with that. I mean, earlier in this season SG-1 met sentient water... if that happened to me I'm sure I'd spend the next several months feeling like all sorts of creatures and objects could be watching me and... judging me...

The first time I saw this ep I thought Hailey was going to be a recurring character in the future, after all that setup. I think she would've been interesting.
            That's why I think I'm going to incorporate her into my fic...I had the same feeling about her...
            sigpic
            sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
            "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Originally posted by SaraBahama View Post
              That's why I think I'm going to incorporate her into my fic...I had the same feeling about her...
              Hailey has been in several fics that I've enjoyed. The authors did well with her.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                Hailey has been in several fics that I've enjoyed. The authors did well with her.
                Hey, hedwig! Recommendations? If you can remember the fics? (PM me if you want...)
                sigpic
                sig by Ikorni

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

The girl was annoying at first then not so much after she saw the SGC ;D
                  Good episode.

Comment

Awful, awful episode. For my money, it's the worst episode of the entire series, worse even than "Emancipation" and by God that's saying something. I lack the vocabulary to describe how intensely irritating I find Jennifer Hailey is. She's a snot nosed little brat whose even worse than Wesley Crusher at his own most annoying. She returns in "Proving Ground", another episode in my bottom ten. The whole science vs. the military subplot and the little glowing alien thing were just plain boring as opposed to awful. Too bad the alien swarm didn't kill Hailey. Its only redeeming feature is that it introduces Dr. Lee, who would become one of the series' best recurring characters in Seasons 7-10 as well as appearing in occasional episodes of Atlantis and Universe.

Along with "The Light" and "Entity", this constitutes part of a trio of consecutive episodes which I call the Trilogy of Terror as they're all so, so bad.
                    Eugene V. Debs (1855-1926)

I have no country to fight for. My country is the Earth. I am a citizen of the world.

When great changes occur in history, when great principles are involved, as a rule the majority are wrong.

Comment

pretty "meh" ep with some nice parts. Love a real live USAF general being in it - so cute
                      In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

General Ryan turning O'Neill in a bubbling idiot... fun to watch.

"Sir. Sirs... Si... both of you."

From the extra's I learned that Don S. Davis was more nervous than the General, who was more at ease than everyone else on the set.

Hailey -- okay, too bad we only get see her once more and the not a peep. Too bad.

Those damn scientists...

Buzzing energy beings... they were cute, at first, and then not so much.

Continuity error: when Carter and Hailey step through the gate at the SGC, Jennifer is standing on the left side of Sam from our POV, but when they walk through on the other side, they have switched places.
                        Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

That error has happened a few other times..
                          But those glowy aliens also were in SGA..

Comment

Originally posted by garhkal View Post
                            But those glowy aliens also were in SGA..
                            Oh right... damn...
                            Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

S'ok.. We have all forgotten a few things from time to time.

Comment

I didn't like Hailey either but I think that was the point. She is playing the stuck up know it all that thinks she is smarter than everyone. We aren't suppose to like her. I dug the episode just wish we found out who was right in the end. Would have been fun to have a bunch of fairies as allies.

Comment

Working...
                                X