No announcement yet.

2010 (416)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You mean that someone's going to have to get their DVD out and watch it again to find out? Ooh - that sounds like a real hardship...

I think (though my memory is truly shocking so I could be just making this up) that the last time I saw this was on my DVD copy - and they were still saying 'ashen' in the cabin scene. On the other hand, I could have seen it on Sky instead, so this contribution may well have been a bit pointless...
    sigpic

Comment

Aschen were scary. I mean indeed scary. When I saw them first I couldn't get over a creepy feeling. They were not using brute force and military occupation like Gou'old did. Their way was more final and "painless" as Sam said. When you saw them you could recognize their determination behind their calm and polite manners. I agree about time paradox thing. That makes no sense ( unless time travel aspect is another way of travelling parallel universes of different timelines. Maybe so but didn't Sam say at "There is no grace but God" that Stargate didn't create pathways to alternate realities ? )

Comment

Originally posted by desert fox
        Aschen were scary. I mean indeed scary. When I saw them first I couldn't get over a creepy feeling. They were not using brute force and military occupation like Gou'old did. Their way was more final and "painless" as Sam said. When you saw them you could recognize their determination behind their calm and polite manners.
        So true. The really unnerving thing about them was not that they were violent or aggressive - just very, very patient...

Brrr.

Originally posted by desert fox
        I agree about time paradox thing. That makes no sense ( unless time travel aspect is another way of travelling parallel universes of different timelines. Maybe so but didn't Sam say at "There is no grace but God" that Stargate didn't create pathways to alternate realities ? )
        I suppose the concept is that, in sending the message back to a point before SG-1 encounters the Aschen on their homeworld, they are creating the opportunity to change that timeline. After all, what they're doing is sending a message back to their own timeline - in the hope that their former selves will heed the message and thus create a new scenario within the multiverse in which they don't go there. It doesn't negate their present reality, or render it redundant, but simply enables the creation of a new reality instead.

I say this, of course, on the implicit understanding that I am not a physicist and therefore could well be talking utter cobblers about a bit of a continuity discrepancy. The concept of an infinite and expanding multiverse where every single decision we make splits us into two new realities - one where we didn't decide to do something, the other where we did - gives me a bit of a headache.
        sigpic

Comment

This was a great episode. It was sad in a lot of places, but my favourite SG-1 episodes are ones that deal with alternative universes/alternative timelines/time travel/mind wiping etc., so I really liked it.
          "I have read of a place where humans do battle in a ring of Jello..."

Comment

I was recently watching episode 2010 on a small TV close to my PC. I wonder if anyone noticed something about this episode?.... When anyone says Aschen, their mouths did not line up to Aschen. I normally would have dismissed it, and then I realized that I was not watching anime.

Does anyone out there know what the race was called before they decided on the Aschen??

Comment

Originally posted by wasbubba View Post
              I was recently watching episode 2010 on a small TV close to my PC. I wonder if anyone noticed something about this episode?.... When anyone says Aschen, their mouths did not line up to Aschen. I normally would have dismissed it, and then I realized that I was not watching anime.

Does anyone out there know what the race was called before they decided on the Aschen??
              This is from GateWorld's episode analysis of "2010":

"Look for some poor audio dubbing in the scene featuring O'Neill and Carter outside the former's cabin. Sam's mouth does not always line up with what she's saying, revealing thelikelihood that the director or producers changed the way "Aschen" was going to be pronounced after this scene was filmed. Though the actress seems to be putting the emphasison the first syllable, the audio dubbing places it on the second syllable."
              "I have read of a place where humans do battle in a ring of Jello..."

Comment

Originally posted by wasbubba View Post

I'm pretty sure they were called the Ashen, Then they had to go back and loop (or re record ) when it changed.You notice RDA sticks to the original pronunciation throughout.

Comment

Loved the episode, but a couple of things bothered me:

1) The show normally throws around a lot of quantum physics terms, but when it come to time travel, they choose the old 'Back to the Future' model, which is opposite of the quantum physics idea of time travel, in which you never modify your own present reality by changing the past, all you do is create an alternate reality that follows a new path. No big deal though, it's Stargate, not a physics experiment.

2) A little more bothersome: how does Carter know how far back in time the wormhole will go? Kinda pointless if it goes back really far, or only a year or two. Oh well, still no big deal, it's Stargate afterall.

3) WTF? This is the only one that really blew it. They recieve SG-1's radio code, but SG-1 isn't offworld at that moment--O'Neill is standing right there in fact. So what does Hammond say "Open the iris, let's see what's going on" , something like that. Out the wormhole comes flying the note.
                  Why in the world would he do that?? No attempt to make radio communication with whomever is obviously (to their point of view) impersonating SG-1. What if instead of a note, a nuclear bomb came through the Stargate? It's certainly possible for one of the system lords to get the radio codes any number of the times that they captured SG-1, or even picked up their transmission on one of the many occasions they've been in close proximity to SG-1 as they gated home. What's the point of the iris?

I honestly did like the episode, just felt like doing a little nitpicking I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by cavalierlwt View Post
                    2) A little more bothersome: how does Carter know how far back in time the wormhole will go? Kinda pointless if it goes back really far, or only a year or two. Oh well, still no big deal, it's Stargate afterall.

They explained this in 1969, remember when they got trapped back in time, and Hammond had written the two dates on the piece of paper? They later determined what they needed to send them exactly where they needed to go.
                    In 2010, Carter even says something crediting the exact time of the loop to the technology of the Aschen. They didn't need to get it exact, just somewhere close to before they went.
                    At least I think that's how they all meant what they said.
                    sigpic
                    awesome siggie courtesy of jasminaGo

Comment

I have a question that may or may not make any sense whatsoever

In 1969, we see Cassie as a middle aged woman in the future, sending SG-1 home. We assume that the timeline of the characters in 2010 was the same as ours up until the note was sent through the gate. Therefore, Casssie would have had to send SG-1 home in the 2010 reality, like she did in ours. How did she do this? Had Sam told her about 1969 before they decided to send the note through the gate? If she did, how did Cassie fulfill her goal? Did the Aschen succeed in wiping out the human race? how then could they have gotten home from 1969?

It boggles the mind

any thoughts?
                      sigpic

Comment

Personally, I think SG1 got what they deserved in this episode. I am tired of their double standards and self-righteous attitudes... "Yeah, you guys should reveal the stargate to your own societies... but wait, we won't." And how many times have they destroyed societies because they don't like the way things are going in that society. "Where we come from we do things differently...." I don't think a modern society should benefit from advanced alien technology. Anyways, enough of critizing Stargate philosophy.

Now, about the episode itself... I like the Aschen. They are very cool. But my only problem with their whole "converting planets for argricultural needs" (as seen in 2001) is that an advanced society like the Aschen wouldn't have to rely on modern farming. Genetic Engineering techniques and other technologies like smart materials, arcologies, and fuel cells would allow an advanced society to produce surpluses of food for their people. They would have indoor hydroponic farms that would be able to produce enough food for their society to flourish.

Comment

They kind of did get what they deserved didn't they..

Comment

Originally posted by djtech1982 View Post
                            I like the Aschen. They are very cool. But my only problem with their whole "converting planets for argricultural needs" (as seen in 2001) is that an advanced society like the Aschen wouldn't have to rely on modern farming. Genetic Engineering techniques and other technologies like smart materials, arcologies, and fuel cells would allow an advanced society to produce surpluses of food for their people. They would have indoor hydroponic farms that would be able to produce enough food for their society to flourish.
                            Good point.
                            Unless the Aschen have a better long term understanding of the benefits of natural organic food. They would have a deeper understanding of food science than us and may realise the natural foods they can grow are still better than what they can create. Plus they've got a cheap supply of farmers to grow crops for them, so they wouldn't have the need to grow their own food.

Comment

ok my 2cents with all the smart things being said. I thought it was really neat.

Comment

This has to be one of my favorite episodes- as far as screwing up time travel 1969 and Moebius were worse in that regard. But holy cow, this episode was pure eye candy. No wonder the Aschen wanted to regulate population growth- I've never seen the team look quite so...hot

The sets and backdrops were beautiful, too. One could see how easy it would be to be sucked in by what the Aschen had to offer. So pretty. But pure evil underneath.

What really intrigued me was Sam's visit to Jack's cabin. There's no other SG1 episode where he is so openly angry with her for so long- I thought there were enough sparks flying to torch that old cabin. I had to watch it a couple of times until I caught that last bit about her "dearly beloved ambassador" and then it made more sense. It wasn't just the Aschen he was pissed about.

It was a little sad that poor Joe didn't know he'd probably never see Sam again. And also that
                                Spoiler:
                                Dr. Frasier would be dead by 2010 in the "our" reality

Definitely in my top 10.

Comment

Working...
                                X