2010 (416)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
    MacGyver ran originally from 1986-1992. It's been off the air for very nearly 20 years, yet people who may not have been born when it was airing know what it was. I think that's amazing.

I also think it's highly unlikely that Mac and Jack would get along. They have very different principals in some areas (though similar in others).

Seaboe
    I was too young to watch it when it originally aired, but we had reruns on TV and I've seen a few episodes here and there. I know the name and what the show's about. When I mentioned Stargate to my mother and showed a picture of RDA, she thought he was hot but didn't recognize him until I said he used to be MacGyver and then she had her d'oh-moment, even though she doesn't like that kind of TV shows and I doubt she's ever watched a MacGyver episode.
    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
      I also think it's highly unlikely that Mac and Jack would get along. They have very different principals in some areas (though similar in others).
      Yeah, Mac hates guns, for one. I quite enjoyed hearing him say that - makes a nice change from Jack.. (I kid )
      They both love dogs though, as does RDA himself. Actually, I would not be at all surprised if he made it a condition that all his characters must love dogs.
      "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
      "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
      "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
      "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

sigpic
      >-- Czechs Rock! >--

Comment

So, 2010, that seemed so far away when this episode first aired, and now we're a year beyond it already!!!

One of the top episodes of season four for me. I loved the whole idea of the devious Aschen patiently eliminating the human race, and the OMG moment between Janet and Sam when the true intentions of the Aschen are discovered.

The guided tour of the SGC! The "...and we're walking" reminded me of the tour guide in the White House from the movie 'Dave'. That scene brought back the memories of wandering around the SGC corridors and gateroom just like that!

The special effects are always amazing given the constraints of a TV show budget, the Aschen computer generated sun was impressive. I've always been impressed by how well effects were done over the years by the CGI guys. Whilst some may not look all that great, especially with the passing of time, I always thought they were always wonderfully imagined and executed, and it worked more often than not.

One of the best team moments in SG-1 for me where SG-1 save Earth once again and make the ultimate sacrifice. Great action sequence with the absailing and the security system mowing them down, culminating in that great hold your breath moment as the bloodstained note flies into the event horizon.

Comment

Well before I got into SG1 I hadn't heard of RDA or McGuyvver. Seen a couple of clips since then, looks like the sort of show I might have gotten into had I ever had the chance to watch it.
          I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt G View Post
            Well before I got into SG1 I hadn't heard of RDA or McGuyvver. Seen a couple of clips since then, looks like the sort of show I might have gotten into had I ever had the chance to watch it.
            In many ways it has not aged well. But the quirky ideas and the action sequences are still good.

Seaboe
            If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Its 2011. Where are my teleporters and Jupiter sun?

Its a good episode that shows a very grim Earth. Its a facade of peaceful Earth that is on the verge of death. And I like that grim reality as SG1 commits something that looks to be suicidal. Probably because Kinsey is the president. The hopeless nature of the mission and the resourceful nature of SG1 is what makes this episode shine. Its sadastic but I like seeing them all die in the attempt to change history. But seriously the aim of those lasers is just terrible. Overall a good episode but 2001 is better
              Originally posted by aretood2
              Jelgate is right

Comment

One of my all time favorite episodes (it's in my top ten.) We got to see a very "what if" scenario. favorite part would have to be near the end of the episode where you have sg-1 trying to get the note through the stargate and they are all dying. shows you that even in a messed up timeline , SG-1 can still come together to save the world one last time.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                  Its 2011. Where are my teleporters and Jupiter sun?
                  Be happy you don't have them! The price is too high.
                  Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

I always approach this ep with a lot of trepidation.

What I remember from the first time around was that Jack warned his friends about the Aschen and they didn't listen...and it lead to a break in the trust that lasts for years and him withdrawing. The biting cynicism in his talk with Carter when she comes seeking help cuts me to the heart.

How could things have possibly gone so wrong?

How could they have lost faith in each other so completely (not just Jack and Sam, but the whole team...it ruptured their friendships).

I do like how they came together at the end, but it is not easy watching my heroes die (temporary though it is).
                    sigpic
                    sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
                    "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

O'Neill part was awesome and looking at the "future" of Earth.
                      Good episode.

Comment

I love this episode it was amazing. The episode where they meet the aschen on a different planet and figure out their true intensions was also great. When Sam asked the one aschen what that word meant and he said "sterillity" and then they start kickin ass.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt G View Post
                          Yup, me too. Should I be ashamed of myself? Years before I watched SG-1 however, people were going on about the "McGuyver guy" but I just never paid too much attention. I now wish I did.
                          Fics | Art | Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Colonel John Sheppard View Post
                            One of my all time favorite episodes (it's in my top ten.) We got to see a very "what if" scenario. favorite part would have to be near the end of the episode where you have sg-1 trying to get the note through the stargate and they are all dying. shows you that even in a messed up timeline , SG-1 can still come together to save the world one last time.
                            Actually, funny that you mentioned that. I remember reading somewhere that "2010" was not just a what-if episode, but one that posited the extreme of what could happen should a decision be taken incorrectly. I personally found it revealing that Jack's estrangement - which all started with SG-1 not trusting his instincts about the Aschen and gets bitterly proven right in the end - showed something about his intelligence that he tries so hard to deny, something which I find so precious since he really seemed to lose his brain in the later seasons horsing around.
                            Fics | Art | Tumblr

Comment

I liked this one a lot. I could even have happened without alien interference

Comment

I didn't like this ep when it first aired, so this was my second look - way beyond 2010 which seemed so far away when we first watched it.

Didn't like the "futuristic" clothes they put Janet and Sam in but I thought Daniel looked lovely. As did the unshaven, un-preserved Jack.

I wonder how we are really supposed to believe that Jack and the others had such a huge falling out - but for the purposes of the story it worked well. and it was heartbreaking when Sam said to her husband "if it works it won't matter where we are".

Good ep
                                In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X