2010 (416)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chaka's_Mum View Post
    I suppose the concept is that, in sending the message back to a point before SG-1 encounters the Aschen on their homeworld, they are creating the opportunity to change that timeline. After all, what they're doing is sending a message back to their own timeline - in the hope that their former selves will heed the message and thus create a new scenario within the multiverse in which they don't go there. It doesn't negate their present reality, or render it redundant, but simply enables the creation of a new reality instead.
    I say this, of course, on the implicit understanding that I am not a physicist and therefore could well be talking utter cobblers about a bit of a continuity discrepancy. The concept of an infinite and expanding multiverse where every single decision we make splits us into two new realities - one where we didn't decide to do something, the other where we did - gives me a bit of a headache.

I agree with SeaBee and Crazed Wraith earlier in this thread. It was implied in earlier episodes that they are messing only with their own reality and not creating a new alternate reality, Sam even says in the episode they are 'erasing' the past decade.
    Due to the paradox possibility, the episode 2010 needed a longer/better explained ending.
    If it had not been Jack's note (why the team would choose Jack's note to explain a time travel dilemma i do not know), Sam/Daniel's note could have included an exact time and address that the team would have to send the same note back through the stargate a decade later. That is the obvious way I can see to avoid the time paradox that would occur by changing their future. And would give this episode closure.

I'm surprised the writers didn't bother to mention this, since they usually go through so much effort to make the science behind the episodes realistic. And they should be commended for this effort which makes Stargate stand above the rest of the sci-fi world.

Comment

well, they didnt have to go after the ZPM from moebius after they found it, and that didnt create a paradox

Comment

This was a great episode but I have some questions about Teal'c and the other Jaffa. It is obvious that the Aschen removed the tattoo from Teal'c's head, but could they not replace his immune system. For that matter why couldn't they replace the immune system in all Jaffa, Teal'c mentions how "After the war there have been few infant Goa'uld to go around" or something like that. Even if they weren't able to replace the immune system, you would think they would be able to clone symbiotes or something like that. Just a minor plot hole that I noticed.
        sigpic

Comment

whoah.

Comment

Originally posted by Tara View Post
            This episode is pretty challenging to me because... the earth is pretty screwed up. I think you could make a fair case that relieving the suffering in the world for everybody who is living in it is worth the price of future generations. It's not a terrible way to die, and so the earth becomes another farming colony for the ashen, so what?
            so you're saying it's okay that there will be no more future generations because those who are alive now will have a better life?

Comment

Originally posted by L E E View Post
              so you're saying it's okay that there will be no more future generations because those who are alive now will have a better life?
              There's s certain strain of postmodern philosophy that contends people are such a blight that we ought to be actively working to reduce our numbers and disappear. There's actually an organization dedicated to this goal, but I can't remember the name.

I personally don't subscribe to their theory, but some obviously do.

Comment

I thought this episode was pretty.

Rating: 7/10

Full Review: http://stargatesummer.blogspot.com/2008/07/2010.html
                My attempt to watch every episode of SG-1 and Atlantis this summer:
                http://stargatesummer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by VSS View Post
                  There's s certain strain of postmodern philosophy that contends people are such a blight that we ought to be actively working to reduce our numbers and disappear. There's actually an organization dedicated to this goal, but I can't remember the name.

I personally don't subscribe to their theory, but some obviously do.
                  There's an organization? Kinda scary.

Comment

I've jsut watched it today. Brilliant story, and stunning special effects considering it's time and the budget.

Comment

Originally posted by Tara View Post
                      This episode is pretty challenging to me because... the earth is pretty screwed up. I think you could make a fair case that relieving the suffering in the world for everybody who is living in it is worth the price of future generations. It's not a terrible way to die, and so the earth becomes another farming colony for the ashen, so what?
                      this is a great episode and your right about the choice being hard because altho u are right about the suffering would be less and the quality of life would be better for the people of earth would be better altho without children the world would soon die.
                      sigpic

Comment

Just watched this ep, not bad, 7/10 I spose.

Didn't notice the lipsync mentioned however I did notice when Sam throws the note thru the gate at the end it rolls down the ramp, yet Jack picks it up from up near the gate..

Comment

I love this episode. The final scene in the terminal is one of the best SG-1 moments in the 10 years of the show, not to mention the fact that Dr Fraiser is also part of the mission, and a prominent face throughout the episode. I was quite touched to watch 2010 given that reference is made to the death of General Hammond and our beloved Don S. Davis passed away recently. Poignant.
                          sigpic

Comment

A very good time travel episode. However I could not understand why they ignored/forgot the lazer-like weapons in the terminal. I think they should take care of those first before running to the stargate.
                            sigpic
                            Sign by me

Comment

Originally posted by Dusk View Post
                              I love this episode. The final scene in the terminal is one of the best SG-1 moments in the 10 years of the show, not to mention the fact that Dr Fraiser is also part of the mission, and a prominent face throughout the episode. I was quite touched to watch 2010 given that reference is made to the death of General Hammond and our beloved Don S. Davis passed away recently. Poignant.
                              Yeah, but too bad Andy Mikita didn't use a single close-up after her hairstyle changed...

Anyway, it's still a great episode. It's in my top 12 of the whole series!
                              sigpic
                              Watching now: Doctor Who Series 3/29 (rewatch) - The X-Files Season 2 (rewatch) - Pushing Daisies Season 1 - Torchwood Series 1 - Red Dwarf Series 8 - Battlestar Galactica Season 2 (rewatch) - Northern Exposure Season 3 (rewatch)

Comment

This is another great episode from season 4!

It was a a scary future and with Kinsey as president it must have been like hell living there.

Loved Sam in this episode , good acting by everyone !

Rating : 7 / 10

Comment

Working...
                                X