Divide and Conquer (405)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Verdande View Post
    Evenstar, I did watch a few Stargate episodes out of order too, somewhere around late season 5 and early season 6, before I began watching. I got curious about the show after seeing a couple of really good episodes (I especially remember Abyss) and I liked the humor a lot, so I decided to watch the entire series, starting at the beginning. I haven’t been spoiled for anything really important so far, I think.
    I didn't start watching Stargate until my boyfriend (a huge fan) finally convinced me to give it a try a couple of years ago by showing me Heroes and Window of Opportunity. I was intrigued enough to starting watching the reruns on Scifi, and fell for the series soon after for it's mix of humor, science, history, and great characters.

Are you planning on watching the series in order too?
    I would really like to start watching it from the beginning, but I just can't afford the DVDs right now, and really don't have the time while in school. I already spend too much time on Gateworld as it is.

I didn't start watching the show regularly until the season 10, so that and Atlantis's seasons 4 and 5 are the only ones I've seen in order. I'm still missing several episodes from SG-1, including some big ones like Abyss and Torment of Tantalus. One day I'll watch them all in order, I hope.

I have to admit that my attention was mostly focused on Carter and O’Neill in Divide and Conquer, but yes, it was sad to see Martouf die. I never really got into the Jolinar storyline all that much, but Martouf definitely didn’t seem as duplicitous as some of the other Tok’ra we've seen.
    In the Line of Duty, The Tok'ra, and Jolinar's Memories/The Devil You Know are some of my favorite episodes, and I love the Jolinar storyline, so that part of the episode grabbed me as much as the Carter/O'Neill part. It was actually the impetus for me to first enter online fandom (for any show), since I really wanted to find some fanfic that dealt with the fallout from that final scene. It took me another year or so to finally join the GW forum.

sigpic

Comment

[B] It’s a lot more interesting to watch Stargate when I can discuss these things with other fans. Other fans with insight and interesting viewpoints, no less.

I espectially love the different interpretations of the same scene. What one person saw or thought something meant, someone else interpreted the scene differently. I love that!
      sigpic
      Thanks to Oma-1 for the beautiful banner!

Comment

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post

I would really like to start watching it from the beginning, but I just can't afford the DVDs right now, and really don't have the time while in school. I already spend too much time on Gateworld as it is.
        Try your local library. Many of them have large dvd sections that may have the box sets.

I didn't start watching the show regularly until the season 10, so that and Atlantis's seasons 4 and 5 are the only ones I've seen in order. I'm still missing several episodes from SG-1, including some big ones like Abyss and Torment of Tantalus. One day I'll watch them all in order, I hope.
        Wow. You missed ALL the good stuff. Seasons 9 and 10 were ho hum and didn't really hold much of a candle (with exception of very few episodes) to seasons 1-8. The cast changes really hurt the show, I think.

Have you been watching the re-runs on sci-fi? Did you like 'Heroes'? I can't imagine watching that episode if I hadn't seen all the ones before it! The two you mention above not having seen are very good episodes as well! I think I'll pop into those threads and see if you're all discussing them! Since this is the D&C folder . . . lol!

Speaking of D&C, did you catch that the Sam and Jack pining on the Gou'uld ship scenes were different than in the episode before it?

I liked Martouf as well, though I didn't like him confusing Sam like he did with the Jolinar feelings and such. But then, it wouldn't be good tv if it didn't have that kind of angst.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by leiasky View Post
          Try your local library. Many of them have large dvd sections that may have the box sets.
          I've got netflix, so I'm planning on watching some over winter break.

Wow. You missed ALL the good stuff. Seasons 9 and 10 were ho hum and didn't really hold much of a candle (with exception of very few episodes) to seasons 1-8. The cast changes really hurt the show, I think.
          I enjoyed several episodes from season 10, but only a few from season 9. The Ori never really interested me as an enemy nor did the search for the Sangraal, and there wasn't really any other storyline I could get into in those seasons. On the whole I like the SG-1 team of seasons 1-7 the best.

Have you been watching the re-runs on sci-fi? Did you like 'Heroes'? I can't imagine watching that episode if I hadn't seen all the ones before it! The two you mention above not having seen are very good episodes as well! I think I'll pop into those threads and see if you're all discussing them! Since this is the D&C folder . . . lol!
          Well, when I first started watching Scifi was running 5 reruns a week plus 4 extra episodes on Mondays, so I've seen most the episodes that way. But I also found a website with of all the transcripts, so I've read most of the episodes that I haven't seen yet.

I really enjoyed Heroes, the whole documentary style gave me quick backgrounds on the characters, and I think it is a great showcase for Stargate's mix of humor and drama.

Speaking of D&C, did you catch that the Sam and Jack pining on the Gou'uld ship scenes were different than in the episode before it?
          I did and it confused me a bit the first time I saw it. I had to go check the Upgrades transcript to make sure I hadn't somehow missed a huge part of the forcefield scene.

I liked Martouf as well, though I didn't like him confusing Sam like he did with the Jolinar feelings and such. But then, it wouldn't be good tv if it didn't have that kind of angst.
          I actually really liked how confused Sam got about Jolinar's feelings, because I liked seeing the fallout from her brief possession. As a scientist who must have a lot of her self-worth and confidence wrapped up in the power of her mind, it must have been very difficult for Sam to deal with the chaos of Jolinar's flashes of memories and feelings.

That's what makes the ending of this episode so tragic for me, because I'd like to think that it's not just Sam grieving for Martouf, but she's probably also being hit with Jolinar's memories of him, as if she's grieving for two people.

sigpic

Comment

Melora, thank you again for your thorough summary of the shipper/anti-shipper debate. And after watching Divide and Conquer, I’m not surprised to hear that it was the episode that started a lot of the controversy.

It’s nice to hear where you place yourself in this dimension . If you started watching because of the ship, that would mean that you didn’t watch the show from the beginning? About where in the series (and ship) did you first start watching?
            I watched a few episodes early on in syndication, mainly because I liked the original movie and I liked MacGyver and wanted to see what RDA was up to. I stopped watching pretty quickly b/c it just didn't catch my attention enough for me to keep track of what channel it was on and when. A few years later, I caught one or two episodes on SciFi, but I didn't watch regularly and was not really a fan of the show.

That changed in the second half of Season 7. I happened to see an ad for the episode "Grace" and was intrigued because it hinted that there was a relationship between Jack and Carter that I had not realized was there. I watched the ep and was very impressed with it and Amanda Tapping's performance. So I continued watching, I got online and researched the show and fandom, and became a huge fan. I then watched every Monday night marathon, caught eps in syndication, and bought some of the boxed sets. Soon I had watched every single episode and had fallen in love with the whole team.

So I became a fan b/c of "Grace" and the ship between Sam and Jack. I would not have tuned in or given the show much of a chance had it not been for that episode. I would also have not stuck around had it not been for the ongoing exploration of the Sam/Jack relationship, as I find it added depth to the characters and the show. "Grace" is still one of my favorites, as is "Divide and Conquer."

It will be interesting to hear what you think of the rest of Season 4.

Comment

Originally posted by Melora View Post
              So I became a fan b/c of "Grace" and the ship between Sam and Jack. I would not have tuned in or given the show much of a chance had it not been for that episode. I would also have not stuck around had it not been for the ongoing exploration of the Sam/Jack relationship, as I find it added depth to the characters and the show. "Grace" is still one of my favorites, as is "Divide and Conquer."
              It seems I have Grace to look forward to, I've already heard it mentioned several times. So far, and I just watched Beneath the Surface, I really like that they manage to be subtle and low-key about the romantic feelings between Carter and O'Neill. I really like that those feelings are just another extra layer in the relationship between them, it's not what suddenly defines who they are to each other. I think that was one of the things I feared would happen after Divide and Conquer.

I'm probably scarred for life by watching The X-files. I was a fan the first 7 seasons, but never a shipper. I loved that Mulder and Scully's relationship was so much more than any romantic relationship I had ever seen portrayed on TV. And when they finally made them in to a couple, somewhere late season 8, they did it really, really badly. I hated what they turned Scully into with that whole pregnancy storyline. To this day I pretend that there are only 7 seasons of The X-files, and that the series ended with Requiem.

Comment

Grace is - difficult to explain. It's very sad in a way, and that episode is a catalyst for a lot of angst to come in the next season. But - its nice to see Carter get it wrong once in a while. . . When you see the episode, go post in that thread so we can chat about it!

There is a lot of depth to these characters and that's why I love them so much.
                sigpic

Comment

So they end up killing Martouf. That's a real surprise, as he's a major character (for the Tok'ra anyways).

I wonder what Goa'uld programmed them and how he had the intel.

Comment

One of my assumptions was that Martouf was programmed when he was interrogated by Apophis in that one episode when they are all prisoners in Sokar's jail.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualCLD View Post
                      What happened to Freya after this ep?
                      She teamed up with Barbarella and they opened a clothes shop 'for the discerning woman'

Great thread, I cry fountains every time I see Martouf killed, and have to watch 'Ripple Effect' straight away to make myself feel better No, I'm not a hero-worshipping teen, but a 42 yr old woman *not sure if that's better or more creepy * Count me a member/contributor of this thread, guys. We need more like this, I think
                      Sigs by the very gifted Luciana
                      STARCON - For further information, please go to: aurorisentertainment

Comment

this is a fantastic it kept u guessing tile the end. sam and jack looked very uncomfortable saying how they felt about each other but that just added to the story. i was sad when Martouf died. i felt most sorry for sam as she got very close to him
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by EvenstarSRV View Post
                          I realise that his is quite an old post, and you may have them by now, but if not, I would recommend eBay. There are companies on there who do the full 10 seasons for $100 inc postage. I own a set myself, and I have 2 American friends, 1 Danish and 1 German friend who have the same sets. They come in a presentation case, which is very nice, and seem to play no problem, on all regions. They are originally from Hong Kong. If you are interested PM me andI'll send you the link.

Divide and Conquer was a very sad episode for me, as we lost Martouf. I agree, he wasn't as 'slippery' as the other Tok'ra (even Jacob and Selmak had their moments) but Lantash should have let him know in advance he was being controlled? I haven't read all the pages of the thread, so I may be repeating someone else, but if Lantash survived to be implanted again, wouldn't he have taken control of Martouf and warned Hammond or Daniel that Martouf had been compromised? I would have liked the character to stay a lot longer, and I think there was a lot more to be explored there?
                          Sigs by the very gifted Luciana
                          STARCON - For further information, please go to: aurorisentertainment

Comment

would Lantash know if he was taken over if him himself didn't know. if he did i would agree unless there was a safety switch preventing it. i agree i would have liked to see more of him that is why when he came back for a little wile in a later episode i was overjoyed
                            sigpic

Comment

The confession of Jack's feeling about Sam in this episode is classic, although I'm a bit sad to see Sam's reacting a bit cold and rational to it.

I love the scene of Freya kissing Jack too. I noticed a flash of pink/red on Jack's cheek when Freya is kissing him, so cute!
                              sigpic
                              Sign by me

Comment

that was a good scene i love his reaction to
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X