No announcement yet.

Upgrades (403)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fantastic ep; I've seen it several times on DVD. The only thing that annoyed me: the wristbands that said "With great power comes great responsibility." Doesn't that belong with Spiderman, not SG-1?

Comment

Originally posted by LHB View Post
      Fantastic ep; I've seen it several times on DVD. The only thing that annoyed me: the wristbands that said "With great power comes great responsibility." Doesn't that belong with Spiderman, not SG-1?
      I've seen that line everywhere. I think it's a quote from some famous person.
      sigpic
      "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
      DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

Wherever it came from, it's good advice. Certainly it's a worthwhile advisory against accidentally shoving someone off a staircase.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis View Post
          Shame really, I like the character that she played. So confident
          And Dead sexy!!!

Originally posted by greytop View Post
          This one of my favorite quotes also. Especially after the rest team aplogized to Hammond. After the quote above, Hammond replied, "Teal'c was obeying orders."
          One of the few times, imo where it was teal'c coming in to 'save the day'. Up till then, the team has saved teal'c more often than not..

This was a GREAT episode! I loved the idea of superpowers, both physically and intellectually. I was particularly impressed by how fast they could read books, and how Carter wrote a book in a few hours. What a great opportunity for her and Daniel to learn and record information.
          That is a great point. It makes me wonder which books jack chose to read up on..

Originally Posted by Chaka's_Mum
          I read somewhere that Anise/Freya had been given the nickname 'Tok'ra Spice'. Possibly because of her highly revealing, 'un-Tok'ra' dress sense.
          Being one of the few who actually loved the spice girls, i would have liked to read that mag, where she got that title..

As to me.. i only really had 2 gripes...
          1) Why did they not go more into the race who MADE the armbands.
          2) is it me, or did that new type of ship look almost like it had a BIG golden head atop it..

Comment

I suspect that we don't hear more about the Atonieks for the simple reason that Anise doesn't have anything more to tell us. Anise knows that the armbands gave the wearer great powers, and that the Atonieks were a great civilisation that pre-dated the Goa'uld. Chances are that there was some crossover between the two groups, given that the armband won't even connect to someone who carries a symbiote, but other than that, the only other thing that is known for sure is that the race has died out.

In some ways, the lack of a backstory for the Atonieks is what makes 'Upgrades' possible. Had they known more about them, and how the armbands worked, then they would have known from the outset that the armbands were essentially useless in the long run. Sometimes we just don't know as much as we would like to about a race of people, despite one or two tantalising glimpses in the archaeological record.

Yes, I think the ship did have a big golden head on it - but given that Apophis has a great big head, that seems appropriate!

The 'Tok'ra Spice' reference comes from an article on H2G2 (the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - Earth Edition) which can be found in the 'Talk' section of the BBCi website. I would include a link, but given that the article goes up to season 9 and is crammed with spoilers, I'm not going to. It's easy to find, though, as there's a search engine which will locate it for you.
            sigpic

Comment

I don't think we came up with Tok'ra Spice over there on h2g2 (yep, there were several of us GateWorlders involved in writing that) - in fact, I know we didn't because I know that I first heard the phrase here (maybe it used to be Starguide back then?)

anyway, here's a link to the entry - because if any of you GWers are also
              h2g2'ers you might want to write up S10... it can be updated and you get your name in lights and everything (and also, because I take any chance to plug h2g2)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/classic/A765597
              In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

Oops - I wasn't intending to give the impression that I thought the Hootoo article authors invented the term, I was actually intending to report the fact that I'd read it there and thought it an amusing and rather appropriate nickname for Anise.

It's a good read and I was going to post a link myself then got a hot flush over the prospect of it containing spoilers because of the recent update to season 9!

Tragic. Yes. I know.

I shall second the H2G2 plug here, too. I haven't been there in a while (apart from revisiting the Stargate article to check that I hadn't misremembered where I came across the 'Tok'ra Spice' term) but it's a great place to go and I really must pop back sometime and do more than make references to curdled milk in my journal.
                sigpic

Comment

This is one of my favourite Stargate episodes ever!

It was great seeing Sg-1 with 'super-human' powers and how they lose rational behaviour. The scene in the restaurant was hilarious, "Well, this is a cliche", but I felt sorry for Teal'c missing out on all the fun I think one of the best scenes from their 'mission' however, is saved for Divide and Conquer.

Spoiler:
                  Jack's "No!" to Carter and the look between them afterward is wonderfully intense and emotional

It seems some people had a problem with Anise in the episodes she was in, but personally, I liked her. I only had a problem with her outfit in Divide and Conquer, but overall, I thought she was a great actress and wish she could have come back on occasions.
                  "Don't dis MacGyver, or before you know it he'll be at your door with some tinfoil, a whistle and a bag of marbles...and you'll be sorry then..."
                  S/J all the way!
                  Big Honkin' Resolution!
                  sigpic
                  John/Teyla Shipper!
                  SAVE STARGATE ATLANTIS!!!!

Comment

Yea. It is a pity, we never got to know her more..

Comment

this episode is very funny
                      loved the bit in the restaurant, it made me laugh so much when they got into
                      the fight when they called danial a geek
                      also when o'neill pushed SILER down the stairs very funny
                      but i did feel sorry for teal'c in this episode because he is left out
                      sigpic

Comment

It has it's moments - that's for sure.

Watching Jack's complaints about the Tok'ra trail off as Anise arrives, the exchange of names and their meanings - which again he trails off...

The scene in the Restaurant is hilarious - ordering three rare steaks and a diet soda. Class. And, to be honest, I like the taste better, too.

Mind you, the punch up at the end of the evening was absolute proof that General Hammond was right to take them off active duty. The fact that they weren't even meant to be off the base - but had still managed to get themselves into a pub fracas nonetheless showed just how impaired their judgement was.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Two_L's View Post
                          This is one of my favourite Stargate episodes ever!

It was great seeing Sg-1 with 'super-human' powers and how they lose rational behaviour. The scene in the restaurant was hilarious, "Well, this is a cliche", but I felt sorry for Teal'c missing out on all the fun I think one of the best scenes from their 'mission' however, is saved for Divide and Conquer.

Spoiler:
                          Jack's "No!" to Carter and the look between them afterward is wonderfully intense and emotional

It seems some people had a problem with Anise in the episodes she was in, but personally, I liked her. I only had a problem with her outfit in Divide and Conquer, but overall, I thought she was a great actress and wish she could have come back on occasions.
                          Yes, yes, yes.
                          Emotional episode, deep one. Can't get enough! One of my favorites!
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LHB View Post
                            Originally posted by Descent View Post
                            I've seen that line everywhere. I think it's a quote from some famous person.

Taken from:
                            http://www.newsfromme.com/archives/2005_10_06.html

I heard Stan Lee speak at a college in Connecticut many, many years ago...and/or I read it later in an interview with him...where he said he enjoyed reading the Bible as Great Literature and a source of story ideas. I think he may have said at that time that the "with great power comes great responsibility" quote was adapted from what Jesus Christ says in the Gospel of Luke, chapter 12, verse 48: "For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask the more."

That's the King James version that Stan might have read years ago. A contemporary translation reads: "From everyone who has been given much, much will be demanded; and from the one who has been entrusted with much, much more will be asked."
                            Energy bends the bow, timing releases the arrow. ~Sun Tzu

Comment

Great epp. Very funny and well written.I liked how as everyone got their powers they stayd true to themselves. DJ used it to get knowledge faster. SC used it to write the book she always wanted and JO was itching for a mision.

Comment

too bad the wristband things wore off, they would have been cool. i like the part wher anise tells jack to sqeeze that strength-o-meter, and she tells him he is 5x stronger than a normal human, and he says, "so, no improvement then."
                                sigpic
                                Thanks to WingedPegasus and myself for the sigs, and to Myn for the userbar.

Comment

Working...
                                X