Nemesis (322)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

9/10

Much better than the clip-show finale of the previous season.

I'm not sure SG-1 was worth losing a stargate over though. And if the replicators have gained asgard technology, what would keep them from stealing Stargate Beta and leaving earth without a stargate.
    Babylon 5 - Farscape - Lost - Deadwood - Rome - Carnivale - Dexter - Sopranos - The Wire

Comment

I'm watching the episode on my new series boxed set, but noticed it uses the "generic" opening credits from the CotG pilot. (No faces, the Egyptian statue and onscreen lettering only.)

Did the episode air that way originally, and if so why? (I can't recall seeing it this way when it aired on SyFy, which would have been the only place I'd have seen it.) Do other DVD releases have it the same way?

Seems an odd way for the third season to close.

Comment

I'm watching d whole series on streaming video but I heard they r playin re-runs on scifi, I would like 2wait up 4more comments 2come up bout d series, is this true?

Comment

These two (Nemesis and its other half) are the only episodes with the replicators I like.

Most SF series suffer from the same problem. An enemy is created, the writers make the enemy easier to defeat, so they then have to create a worse enemy, so that Our Heroes are always the underdog. It doesn't reflect reality and I find it annoying. It's just not realistic (not that SF is ever realistic, but still).

I like this because it makes it clear that Major Davis is very different from Kennedy or Maybourne. Too bad he never made Colonel.

At this point, the replicators are not evil--so of course the writers had to make them human so they could make them evil. Sigh.

Seaboe
          If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

"One small step for Jaffa."

My favourite episode of the season and in my top ten of all Stargate episodes. It is from here SG-1 really hit its stride for me.

This was non stop action, loads of suspense and great special effects, apart from Thor's ship hitting the ocean!

I remember wondering how I would survive the months between seasons when I first watched the cliff hanger ending of seeing that one surviving replicator sitting on the floating wreckage. That's how much this show had grabbed my interest by this time.

Comment

Yay original Replicators. Not the stupid human form ones.

And yay Thor. Now that I know Michael Shanks voices him, I can't stop thinking he sounds like Michello. Great to learn more about the Beliskner as well.

Now for the painful wait for season 4. Can't believe it has already been 3 months.
              sigpic

Comment

This is a very good episode, although there are a number of plot holes. First, as others have observed, the Asgard are small, yet the make their ships gigantic. Do they even need corridors if they use the transporter technology to move around?

Also, if they replicators were in control of most of the ship, why did leave the life support on if they didn't need it? Or why didn't they deactivate it when SG-1 came aboard? For that matter, why were they even going to Earth? They seem to prefer advanced technology, and there are more advanced planets than Earth.

Maybe I'm over-analyzing the episode, but I tend to notice things like this.

Comment

Originally posted by SG1Member View Post
                  Also, if they replicators were in control of most of the ship, why did leave the life support on if they didn't need it? Or why didn't they deactivate it when SG-1 came aboard? For that matter, why were they even going to Earth? They seem to prefer advanced technology, and there are more advanced planets than Earth.
                  They "went to earth" because Thor took his ship to earth, thinking we could help the Asgard destroy the replicators. Otherwise, the replicators would not have known about earth for a long time to come. I believe Thor said something along these lines to O'Neill when he first arrived on the ship.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                    They "went to earth" because Thor took his ship to earth, thinking we could help the Asgard destroy the replicators.
                    Actually, Thor says they got into his computer, found out about Earth and plotted a course here. He stayed on board to try to prevent them from reaching us.

I would guess the computer had something about the availability of important minerals here. Because it really doesn't otherwise make sense that a creature attracted to advanced technology would come here.

Seaboe
                    Last edited by Seaboe Muffinchucker; 26 October 2011, 05:47 AM.
                    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Here we have something I appreciate about Stargate SG-1. The series "ups the ante" of enemy threats. When enemies become old, stale, and less threatening, the show's creators give us something new and scarier.

If they replicators were in control of most of the ship, why did leave the life support on if they didn't need it? Or why didn't they deactivate it when SG-1 came aboard?
                      Replicators usually attack only when they conclude someone is a direct threat. The replicators could have switched off life support upon SG-1's arrival, but they just don't "care." OTOH, the replicators deem SG-1 a threat toward the end of the episode, and they could/should have vented SG-1's section of the ship at that point.

why were they even going to Earth? They seem to prefer advanced technology, and there are more advanced planets than Earth.
                      Their primary objective is self-replication. We have a planet full of refined iron, steel, & other metals. Replicators can do their own mining & refining, but they prefer to "eat" the pre-made stuff. From a materials perspective, we're a large feast.

Maybe I'm over-analyzing the episode, but I tend to notice things like this.
                      So do I. Has anyone noticed replicators have a seemingly unlimited supply of acid? Power, too. Individual replicators don't ever run out.

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Freyr View Post
                        Here we have something I appreciate about Stargate SG-1. The series "ups the ante" of enemy threats. When enemies become old, stale, and less threatening, the show's creators give us something new and scarier.
                        Interesting to see you like something I think sucks and makes the show horribly unrealistic. It just shows to go.

Seaboe

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
                          Interesting to see you like something I think sucks and makes the show horribly unrealistic. It just shows to go.
                          Ha! Yea, I guess it does. Although, I agree replicators have serious issues vis a vis realism/believability. My appreciation is for the general trend of cranking up the danger when the old threat has grown less frightening. TPTB do this several times through the series.

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Freyr View Post
                            My appreciation is for the general trend of cranking up the danger when the old threat has grown less frightening. TPTB do this several times through the series.
                            The problem is, the old threat becomes less frightening because TPTB slack off on them. If the jaffa had remained as hard to kill as they were in the first few episodes, there would've been plenty of potential for fear. And if the other goa'uld had been as hard to kill as Apophis was, believe me, Earth would not have become complacent.

Seaboe

Comment

True. Above all, adding Earth to the Protected Planets treaty reduced the imminent threat of the goa'uld.

Still, old enemies eventually become boring. Would you have watched 10 years of SG-1 vs. Goa'uld? I doubt that I would have.

Comment

I always liked watching this episode probably because of all the action. Not to mention I love the Asgard.
                                My favorite TV shows

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X