No announcement yet.

A Hundred Days (317)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I find this one a little dull, but it's a rather lovely piece at the same time. What really lets it down for me is the ending being wrapped up so quick. After the months Jack has spent stuck on the planet, he appears to be settling in and has made the transition into accepting the fact that he probably won't be going back to Earth.

At the end of the episode, he has a huge turn around. He's suddenly ready to just go on home, says bye, and I'll pop back for some diplomatic stuff. It doesn't sit right. There was an opportunity for him to come back and visit as much as he wanted, and even carry on the relationship with Laira if he really wanted to. He's only a gate trip away.

So, the fact that the episode was never followed up (and only real ever referred to in a throwaway line in the next episode) makes me feel like even the writers/producers didn't care about the outcome, and the episode has little value. It still has some charm going for it, though.

RATING: 6 out of 10
    Private guitar tuition | Return To Grace - rock/pop party band

Comment

I like this episode for the lovely idyllic vision of life it gives before the storm! Jack getting stranded on a planet with no hope of getting home. His sense of loss and helplessness really comes across and I've always felt for Jack here. It was interesting to see how torn Jack was, between the life he led with the SGC and a deep down need to have a simple family life.

This is where we find out that Sam cares for him more than she should, Janet picks up on it quickly. Sam builds a particle generator from scratch so she can save Jack, now that's devotion!!!

You all get to see the lovely scenery of the area where I live in this episode!

It was filmed here

Comment

A pretty touching ep.

Do you think Liara was pregnant at the end? The way she touched her tummy made me think she might be.
        sigpic

Comment

Nope. She may have hoped, but no baby ever showed up and Jack would NEVER have ignored his own child.

Seaboe
          If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

And wasn't it only a day after their first and only time together? Unless their bodies are very different from ours, Laira couldn't have known she was pregnant but could only hope. But I too don't believe she was and that Jack would have never left his own child behind.
            Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
            Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
            On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

I think the notion had been thrown around that she was pregnant with Jack's child but they decided not to go with it. Richard Dean Anderson himself said that he thought it should be a story that was followed up.
              Private guitar tuition | Return To Grace - rock/pop party band

Comment

Originally posted by Lieutenant Sparrow View Post
                A pretty touching ep.

Do you think Liara was pregnant at the end? The way she touched her tummy made me think she might be.
                I thought it might have been the case too, until...

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
                Nope. She may have hoped, but no baby ever showed up and Jack would NEVER have ignored his own child.

Seaboe
                I completely agree. Jack said he would come back, and although it was never shown, I believe he did go back. Had she had a child, he would have made sure he was a significant part of that child's life.

Originally posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post
                I think the notion had been thrown around that she was pregnant with Jack's child but they decided not to go with it. Richard Dean Anderson himself said that he thought it should be a story that was followed up.
                I agree.

I loved this episode for the juxtaposition of the frantic attempts to rescue Jack and the pastoral calmness of the planet. The revealing of Sam's caring about Jack and Janet's concern was wonderful.
                Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

My LiveJournal post
                  "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
                  "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
                  "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
                  "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

sigpic
                  >-- Czechs Rock! >--

Comment

5pm and another ep of SG1...

1. Fire rain nice...fire rain coming down...not so nice.

2. Fire rain destroying gate...not nice at all.

3. This is the first ep I've Rewatched where I've seen ship(particularly the Sam-Janet scene), but first time around, all I saw was the concern of a close friend and the annoyance that said friend was seemingly not recognising Sam's efforts. As in "did you really think we'd give up on you?"

4. Laira....hmm...she was a bit opportunistic and possibly nudged Jack into giving up on his old life initially but...well, I've been told not to analyse love so whatever she was thinking, she probably wasn't thinking straight.

5. As for Jack...I suspect his own feeling possibly caught him off guard...going from "might as well help these folks out" to "might as well settle down here" even though he knew that part of him would never settle. I remember reading a fanfic once where his thoughts at one moment were described as "when life gives you lemons, make lemonade, except this would be the sourest, bitterest lemonade he's ever drunk".

OK ep.
                    I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

It was meh episode, in my opinion.

Jack got trapped on a planet for 3 months, and Teal'c saved his butt (with help from Sam)

Tomorrow, another episode I've been waiting for, Jack joins the off-world NID.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lieutenant Sparrow View Post
                        A pretty touching ep.

I know the writers said she was not pregnant. But I got the impression that that whole bit with her touching her stomach, was just a wistful moment for her. It was a what could have been moment for her and Jack, a family. But it was walking away and all she could do was touch her stomach and watch him walk away wishing but knowing it could never be. At least I think that is what they wanted to convey.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt G View Post
                          4. Laira....hmm...she was a bit opportunistic and possibly nudged Jack into giving up on his old life initially but...well, I've been told not to analyse love so whatever she was thinking, she probably wasn't thinking straight.
                          She believed completely that Jack would be there forever. She could not envision that the gate would work again, so in her love, she was trying to help him get over his grief. Having gone through the grieving process herself recently, she was trying to help. I wouldn't call that opportunistic.
                          Calculus and Alcohol don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Comment

Originally posted by mathpiglet View Post
                            She believed completely that Jack would be there forever. She could not envision that the gate would work again, so in her love, she was trying to help him get over his grief. Having gone through the grieving process herself recently, she was trying to help. I wouldn't call that opportunistic.
                            My problem with Lara stems from two things. 1) she didn't give Jack the 100 days she herself had mourned her husband (yes, I know, their situation with the harvest etc. was urgent, but it was still hypocritical in my opinion and b) she didn't want the whole man (viz her statement "that's not the part I want.")

On the other hand, I think she was a good leader for her people who did what needed to be done.

Seaboe
                            If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Come on. Laira was in love and believed Jack couldn't return to Earth. I see nothing wrong with anything she did.

I don't even fault her for hesitating before telling Jack about the radio. She did the right thing, knowing that doing so could tear her life asunder.

Edit: Just finished watching the episode...

There's category of SG-1 episodes that might be called, "Culture of the Week" or "Let's Visit a World and Hang Out with the Natives." Of those episodes, "A Hundred Days" is one of the best. Laira is the reason. She's a kind, strong (but not invulnerable) woman Her relationship with Jack strikes me as believable & genuine. A touching story, well executed.

Compared to ALL SG-1 episodes, I rate this as a little better than average. (Which tells you something about my opinion of "culture of the week" episodes.)
                              Last edited by Brother Freyr; 26 October 2011, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Freyr View Post
                                Come on. Laira was in love and believed Jack couldn't return to Earth. I see nothing wrong with anything she did.

I don't even fault her for hesitating before telling Jack about the radio. She did the right thing, knowing that doing so could tear her life asunder.
                                I think she was very manipulative. They hardly knew each other and she was already trying to seduce him and took advantage of him when he was drunk. Come on, trying to get pregnant from a guy you've known for just three months? That's desperate and sad. And kind of sick too, considering the issues Jack was having. She barely knew him and didn't even try to get to know him, because that was "not the part" she wanted.
                                Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                                Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                                On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Working...
                                X