A Hundred Days (317)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darth Buddha
    Moreover, the woman he fell for wasn't quite chopped liver either. All in all, a good Jack episode, the only Stargate romance that ever worked for me in the least (though I'm sure all the various conventional 'shippy types hissed the whole time) and I for one always held out hope that that really WAS where Jack would go when he retired.
    Just saw it again this evening, and as far as I am concerned Jack should STILL have retired to live with Laira. He had chemistry with her. This Carter thing is just one of those meaningless co-worker infatuations that never works out.

Comment

This is, easily, without any doubt, one of the BEST episodes of stargate.

it's amazing - pure and simple. off the top of my head, i can only say that heroes part 2 and maybe lost city are better. i just rewatched this one, and i was even more blown away than last time. wow. simply, wow.

Comment

Originally posted by Ancient
        dude its indestructable...this episode was a POS a big fat steeming one....oh an asteroid hit the gate so I am gonna give up and surrender... psh no way he would have stopped diggin I dont wanna live on some dumb planEt bonin that woman. . as oppose to exploring the universe. . what were the writers thinkin..this was terrible ohh this is number one on my least favorite episodes I have nothing good to ay about this....expect I guess they can get that naquadah from them tho...it literally rains naquadah....god IHATE THIS EPISODE
        100 Days is one of my all-time fav eps.

Jack didn't give up. Remember the scene where he's digging in the huge - enourmous - gully-sized crater that hid the Gate? It could've been pushed hundreds of feet away from its original site, and Jack had no way of knowing where to locate it. Did you notice how deeply the Gate was buried, about one and a half times the length of a kawoosh? And that Teal'c(who really should've been wearing a hard hat. tsk )had to use drilling tools because there was a layer of hardened molten material to get through? Jack was one man, with a hand shovel!

As for Jack choosing between a quiet life and exploring the galaxy, Jack has shown that he'd take the quiet life. He goes out in the galaxy only because of a sense of duty, not to explore it or for thrill-seeking.(COTG, 2010, all the fishing vacations he takes, how he rolls his eyes at new discoveries that excite Sam or Daniel, etc.)

If Jack did eventually stop digging it was because of his sense of duty towards his immediate fellow's well-being. The survivors needed all the hands they could get for rebuilding and planting/harvesting before winter set in.

As to the Laira/Jack story, I thought that it was intelligently done and dignified both characters and I wouldn't have had Laira act any other way than she had.

Sure, it's easy to say that if you love someone you'll let them go, but romantic love is naturally selfish, and, IMO, only a total Mary Sue would have rushed breathlessly into the arms of her lover to say, "I think your friends have come back to take you away from me."
        Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
        "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
        One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
        resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
        confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
        A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
        The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Originally posted by Tok'Ra Hostess
          And that Teal'c(who really should've been wearing a hard hat. tsk )had to use drilling tools because there was a layer of hardened molten material to get through?
          Teal'c never took proper safety precautions, did he? He always thought his symbiote would save him, and I thought he looked crazy in episodes such as Singularity where he's just running around the planet without any protection.
          SQUEE like no one's listening.

Comment

what happened to laira's baby?
            Thank you Jenova Synthesis

Thank you to homever I borrowed this from

Comment

Originally posted by keshya
              what happened to laira's baby?
              Unresolved in canon I believe, but have read a couple of fanfics where, for example, Laira dies and Jack and Daniel bring up the baby. Awww....
              sigpic
              "Ce qui ressemble a l'amour est toujours de l'amour." - Tristan Bernard

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Ivanova
                Unresolved in canon I believe, but have read a couple of fanfics where, for example, Laira dies and Jack and Daniel bring up the baby. Awww....
                Jack takes out the trash, and Daniel complains about taking care of the baby...

Mattathias

Comment

HAHAH hard to picture daniel as a father.
                  sigpic

Comment

yeah lol

Comment

I wish I could have every person who posted in this thread state their age and marital status. The level of innocence about what a good and real woman is like is somewhat astonishing.

Laira is a superb and full realization of a real and good woman. She is practical, knows what she wants and has a big heart that deserves a mate. She sees Jack and shortly after meeting him and even before the disaster, has an idea of what she wants from him. But she doesn't manipulate him. She is patient. She welcomes him into her home, defends him from those who would reject him and waits for her moment. She waits a long time and comes to love Jack even though the thing she wants from him is happening very slowly

She is the kind of strong woman you can build a world around. Nature intends for women to want children and when a woman is that beautiful, has that big a heart and that much wisdom, you have to admire her maturity and strength in not just taking a frontal approach.... like

"Don't you waaannttt me?!" which would be a typical modern "girl" approach...

I thought she was magnificent.

A great episode and a great portrayal of a real woman.
                      Last edited by kmiller1610; 22 March 2007, 04:42 AM.

Comment

32.. single

Comment

I've just seen this episode for the first time. I'm not really sure about it yet. I like the situation with the meteors, in fact, I'd been wondering if something like this was going to be covered in any of the episodes.

Jack's reaction to being stranded was different to that which I had expected, as was Laira's to losing her people; she seemed more concerned with Jack.

I think that this is an episode that takes some re-watching to fully appreaciate all the different levels.
                          sigpic
                          Please don't laugh, this is one of my first attempts at a banner.

Comment

Ahhhh! Noooo! Keep it away! I practically swore I'd never watch it again! Ahhhhhh!

Comment

Originally posted by Harlan's Speechwriter View Post
                              Jack's reaction to being stranded was different to that which I had expected, as was Laira's to losing her people; she seemed more concerned with Jack.
                              That bugged me. Leaving aside for the moment that she knew how much Jack missed his home and his family and that she had no possible right to withhold the information that his people had been able to make contact, what about her own people?

About two-thirds of the village's population had gone through the stargate. Did it not occur to her that both they and Jack deserved the right to decide whether or not they wanted to return to their respective homes.

Who was she to take that right away from them?

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

I can't watch this one. I have tried on more than one occasion, I simply can't do it. It is so BORING to me! I am not a shipper or non-shipper, I don't really care one way or the other who gets together with whom, I just don't like whole episodes centered around romantic relationships. I want to see action, humour, great team interaction and MAYBE a LITTLE romance. It also doesn't help that I live for each second that Daniel is on-screen. An episode like this where he is barely seen (and has basically NO reaction to getting Jack back?) Not going to be one I get excited about. Instead, when this one comes on cable, I fast forward through it to remind myself why this DVD sits and collects dust!

Comment

Working...
                                X