Foothold (314)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fems View Post
    Sam and Teal'c checked the security cameras in the surveillance room on level 16 and in the next scene she's going to climb out; it's possible she goes up from level sixteen, but considering that's where the security station is it's not very likely (to have an exit hatch open to that level). She could have also gone up to level eleven (where you have to change elevators) and climbed out from there.
    If that is an emergency escape hatch (which is implied in numerous other episodes, starting with A Matter of Time), it must open at every level. Otherwise it's not much good as an escape route.

Seaboe
    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

But it's not necessarily an emergency escape hatch, seeing as how Jack uses a similar one to get inside the SGC in Proving Ground.

In A Matter of Time they do use an emergency access, seeing as how they have to force everything open because they're coming in from the outside.

It's unclear if the stairs go to below as well from the way Sam goes up. It doesn't look like she has to watch her step (or fall down) or leap to the stairs but it's also not clear if there is a floor underneath the stairs.

Just checked the episode and the following is on the door:
      Restricted access
      LV 16 | 28841
      Which would mean Sam went up to the surface from level 16 (I don't know what the other numbers mean, could be a 'random' number or means it has access from level 28 with 841 meaning something else).
      Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
      Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
      On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by fems View Post
        But it's not necessarily an emergency escape hatch
        That's what it's called in that 8th season episode right before Threads (the name of which I'm blanking on), so that's what I called it. I've noticed that in some episodes (Point of View) it's not easily accessible from inside. Other episodes (A Matter of Time) show that it's not accessible from outside. Others are somewhere in between (the mini-Jack episode, for example). I don't think this is one of those things where you can point at a single use and say "this is the canon use." However, based on what I know about fire and safety codes, I'd say it goes all the way from level 1 to level 28.

(I don't know what the other numbers mean, could be a 'random' number or means it has access from level 28 with 841 meaning something else).
        Where I work, every door has a number. Mine is 42E2. I know what the 4 means (I'm on the 4th floor) and I know what the E means (the nearest row of columns is E). I also know I'll never figure out in a million years how they determine the other 2 numbers. So the other number is probably a location, maybe for emergency or facility services.

Seaboe
        If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

They're called differently in different episodes and used at different times in different situations, so unless the door actually has 'emergency access' on it (or someone calls it that in the show) I'm not calling it an emergency access door/hatch and therefore can't definitively say it goes all the way from sublevel 28 to the surface.

I'm not denying there are emergency access hatches that would probably go all the way to the surface (as stated and used in A Matter of Time), but I'm not sure this is one of them.

Though I must say this particular door was quite easy to open and Sam got out of the base without any trouble (I still don't see why Teal'c couldn't have gone with her), which is a bit worrisome for when there's another foothold situation or an outbreak of an alien disease which makes personnel want to reach the surface or something...
          Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
          Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
          On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2 View Post
            What happened to SG-6 after the aliens impersonated them???
            Hammond didn't say they were killed........
            Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
            The script did not deal with that issue, so who knows.
            Yeah. I assume they were killed. Maybe the military would classify them MIA?

Comment

This was a really good episode!
              I really liked it.
              Everything was good with it.
              I ahve to say that this is probably one of my 10 favourites

Comment

Originally posted by Ascendant View Post
                Heh heh...now I'm hooked on this idea of Evil Janet the System Lord. She'd probably wear black leather and chains. What was that Jack quote from season 5? "Four-foot-nine killing machine."
                Lol maybe the same outfit Emma Peel had in the banned Avengers episode "A Touch of Brimstone"
                ----------------------------
                You will never get to heaven with an Ak 47... But A Zu 30 is good for Low Flying Cherubim

Comment

I think the alien technology in the room where the scanned people were hanging looked like it came from the Buckaroo Banzai aliens. Had kind of an "organic" look to it. I assume that all that stuff was later shipped to area 51 for further study because we dont really hear about it after that, except for the mimic devies themselves which were sent to area 51.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ascendant View Post
                    Heh heh...now I'm hooked on this idea of Evil Janet the System Lord. She'd probably wear black leather and chains. What was that Jack quote from season 5? "Four-foot-nine killing machine."
                    Except he was referring to Cadet Haley in "Prodigy" and "Proving Ground", ... not Janet.

Comment

One of the ones that's kind of meh...those aliens were gross!

The only thing I can say now is that I feel sorry for the people cleaning up the fish/bug juice in the gateroom.
                      "Y'know; Lose it. It means, go crazy. Nuts. Insane. Bonzo. No Longer in posession of one's faculties. Three fries short of a Happy Meal. WHACKO!!!!!"

The perfect couple!

Comment

The aliens in this one had potential and seemed far more interesting than some of the other villains on the show. There are also the unanswered questions that are to be expected from a one-off appearance like the one they made: Why'd they want to take control of Earth? Where were they from, exactly? Will they be back or did us pesky humans frighten them off?

This episode is probably one of my favorites from Season Three, though most of the episodes in this season were pretty good anyway.

Comment

I liked this ep, and it would have been nice if they had made another ep where they encountered these aliens again.
                          no means no, and so does pepper spray
                          Sig by The Carpenter
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Girlbot View Post
                            I liked this ep, and it would have been nice if they had made another ep where they encountered these aliens again.
                            Yes, but at the same time, there's only so much you can do with aliens whose language is a series of grunts, warbles, and screeches. Episodes like this one remind me how impossible a show like SG-1 would be without the conceit of a universal language. (or a universal translator! )

Comment

Just watched this episode, it has always been one of my favs, the fact it was such a close call and that in the end it was hushed up was great, also the first episode where jack showed any warmth to maybourne thus making the fans, us, accept him from that point on.
                              Never Leave A Man Behind...or a Jaffa for that matter

Comment

And I like that Maybourne didn't give Sam a hard time for really telling a senior officer off.
                                sigpic
                                Mourning Sanctuary.
                                Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Working...
                                X