• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bagpuss View Post
    I remembered them wearing white or beige shoes, so went looking for caps

Sam and Jack from Out of Mind

"Raully" near end of Into the Fire
    Is it just me or don't those shoes even look alike? I know they didn't steal Raully's clothes/shoes but since the Goa'uld were all wearing the same standard outfits and Sam and Jack's shoes do look alike it's kind of odd... and again, very coincidental that they fit.
    Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
    Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
    On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

You're right.The shoes they're wearing are a different style altogether from the Trainers (boots?) Raully wore.

I'm going to go with "magic coincidence" as the reason why these pesky things like shoes are universally able to fit different characters.

*Waits for the Clanger to return and smack me for displaying sloppy logic*
      The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

*smacks Baggy for displaying sloppy logic*

on the other hand - meh. Who really cares? *runs away*
        In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

YEEEEE-HAAAAA!!!

General Hammond saving the day -- wonder what the President and the Joint Chiefs have to say about that.

Threading the needle... now, that's pulling some G's.

Ah, poor Teal'c though, trying to show his brothers and sisters how the goa'uld are pretending to be gods. Start small, my man, you'll get there.

I like this part better than OoM - possibly since this has actual story and isn't just a disguised clipshow.

And off goes Hathor... she's now an Ice Queen.
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

But OoM wasn't a "disguised clip show". The framework plot of OoM was a necessary set-up for ITF.

I will never understand why people see clips/flashbacks and immediately discount the episode they appear in as meaningless, rather than looking at the larger story they serve. To me, that would be like viewing an intricate stained-glass window and focusing only on the fact that it involves individual pieces of glass ("Ugh! Asymmetrical glass! It's broken; throw it in the trash!") rather than stepping back to appreciate the entire picture.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
            Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
            sigpic
            now also appearing on DeviantArt
            Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

That's how my brain works... when I look at the stained glass window, I do see the different pieces and then I step back to see they are all pieces of a bigger picture. Doesn't mean I have to like it.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
                I will never understand why people see clips/flashbacks and immediately discount the episode they appear in as meaningless, rather than looking at the larger story they serve.
                I'm not seeing people discount the episode as meaningless; I'm seeing people disappointed that part of the time is wasted rehashing other shows in favor of new material specific to the plot of this one (whatever "this one" is).

I find clip shows less interesting because less time is devoted to the actual story being served.

Seaboe
                If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

I thought that the Tokra spy was very good but don't remember her in other episodes and Doc Fraiser in Heroes episodes was told to never mention the whole Hathor thing.

Comment

Originally posted by foxkarate View Post
                    I thought that the Tokra spy was very good but don't remember her in other episodes and Doc Fraiser in Heroes episodes was told to never mention the whole Hathor thing.
                    This was the only episode this Tok'ra spy was ever in.

Comment

When the SGC opens the Stargate to contact the rescue party, Makepeace refers to SG-1 as "Sierra Gulf Team One".

Is that what SG-1 actually stands for? Or is Makepeace simply using a "spelling alphabet"?

I had always assumed that SG-1 was "Stargate (Team/Unit) One".

Comment

Originally posted by I Am Not James Spader View Post
                        When the SGC opens the Stargate to contact the rescue party, Makepeace refers to SG-1 as "Sierra Gulf Team One".

Is that what SG-1 actually stands for? Or is Makepeace simply using a "spelling alphabet"?

I had always assumed that SG-1 was "Stargate (Team/Unit) One".
                        I think they use the NATO phonetic alphabet, which uses unique words to represent each letter and number. This reduces any confusion about the string of numbers or letters spoken over radio or any time it's crucial that the receiving party does not misunderstand the name or code transmitted.
                        rest easy now

sigpic

everything will be all right

// tumblr //

Comment

Originally posted by Janet Fraiser View Post
                          I think they use the NATO phonetic alphabet, which uses unique words to represent each letter and number. This reduces any confusion about the string of numbers or letters spoken over radio or any time it's crucial that the receiving party does not misunderstand the name or code transmitted.
                          Sorry, I should have been more clear in my original post - I do understand the NATO phonetic alphabet in that situation, however, the "SG" must stand for something, right?

SGC is Stargate Command, so they wouldn't identify themselves as "Sierra Golf Charlie". They'd say "Stargate Command".

So why use this particular dialogue rather than "Stargate Team One", or just "Team One"?

Does "SG" not mean "Stargate"?

Comment

Sorry, I should have been more clear in my original post - I do understand the NATO phonetic alphabet in that situation, however, the "SG" must stand for something, right?

SGC is Stargate Command, so they wouldn't identify themselves as "Sierra Golf Charlie". They'd say "Stargate Command".

So why use this particular dialogue rather than "Stargate Team One", or just "Team One"?

Seems to me Jack has used the term "Sierra Gulf One" on one or two occasions when referring to SG1.

Comment

I guess that since SG-(number) is the actual name of each team, it would make sense to refer to them as such on the field instead of "Stargate Team (number)." Referring to them as SG-1, SG-5, etc. using normal language is also quicker, and I think for the sake of consistency they would spell out those same names using the spelling alphabet.

I haven't heard of the teams being called "Stargate (Team) One, Stargate Team Two, etc." so I don't think SG-1 is necessarily an abbreviation of another official name.

I don't know if this is related, but, if memory serves, in Proving Ground Jack referred to SGC as Sierra Golf Charlie when "finding out" about a foothold situation over radio. I'm not too sure when else they would have had to identify themselves as such. With regard to the different teams, not confusing the numbers might be important enough to warrant using the spelling alphabet through audio transmission.

Anyone can feel free to correct me. I have no background in this area.
                              rest easy now

sigpic

everything will be all right

// tumblr //

Comment

I have heard Jack refer to the team as Sierra Gulf, but not on too many occasions, and mostly when talking over the radio.

Comment

Working...
                                X