Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nah you cant

Comment

I have one problem with this episode which, having read the backlog, hasn't been mentioned. The black hole was caused by a star collapsing and all the problems are caused by the gravitational pull of the black hole. SG-10 are seen running back to the Stargate in an attempt to get home. Questions arising:

How close does a planet have to be to a black hole for it to feel the effects of the hole?
      How long does it take from formation of the black hole for its effects to be felt?
      Putting those two together, is it possible for a black hole to form and have an effect on a planet in the time between an initial MALP/FRED/UAV survey and the decision to send a team? In other words, should SG-10 have been there in the first place?
      Given that they were there, how come they managed to get so far from the Stargate before realising there was a problem?

I know that's four questions, but it's the last two that are my real issue. OK, OK, so if they hadn't been sent, we wouldn't have had a great episode. I'm just curious, that's all.
      C-D
      Dragon by name, Cheerful by nature

Sig by *E*K*R*

Comment

That was the one thing that bugged me too! Surely the effects wouldn't have been that sudden THAT quickly? WEll, I don't really know.. But yeah. That bugged me too.

Couple of things in answer to some questions I've noticed:

If you check out Gateworlds summary etc of this ep, they note that Cromwell possibly hadn't got all the way through to the other side before the wormhole jumped, so he could just be stuck on some planet with no knowledge of how to get back!

About stuff coming through an outgoing wormhole - it's stated several times in various eps that some thing can come through - energy particles, radio waves, that kinda thing. Maybe it's just solid matter that can't go both ways.

OVerall, I loved it!! I generally love eps about time. To quote General Hammond (I LOVED this), "Captain, relativity gives me a headache!". Legend! But it's a fun headache. to me, at least.

I also loved the random bit near the beginning where Jack was asking Carter to explain wormholes. So cute!!

Major Davis, WOOP!!!

Nice to see some of Jacks past, too. WOuld've been nice if he wasn't so hard on the guy, but I think he forgave him, right at the end. There was just that 'moment', before Cromwell let go. I duno. I just got that impression.

Loved it!!
        Sig by SamJackShipLover, thank you!!

"The Titanic lies in 13,000 feet of water on a gently sloping alpinelike countryside overlooking a small canyon below. Its bow faces north and the ship sits upright on the bottom. There is no light at this great depth and little life can be found. It is a quiet and peaceful and fitting place for the remains of this greatest of sea tradgedies to rest. May it forever remain that way and may God bless these found souls." - Robert D. Ballard, 1985.

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeShipper View Post
          I also loved the random bit near the beginning where Jack was asking Carter to explain wormholes. So cute!!
          One of my favorite Sam/Jack scenes from this season.

Originally posted by OrangeShipper View Post
          Nice to see some of Jacks past, too. WOuld've been nice if he wasn't so hard on the guy, but I think he forgave him, right at the end. There was just that 'moment', before Cromwell let go. I duno. I just got that impression.
          Agreed, I love seeing more of Jack's past. I think they made up just before Cromwell died. They both finally understood the other and moved on a little becuase well they needed to work together. I'm really glad they did.
          Ben Browder on who'd win a fight, Mitchell or Critchon..."Cameron would have the upper hand until Aeryn kicked his ass."

Comment

It doesn't really matter if the Science inside the episode isn't quite right. This is Science Fiction at its best: great drama, relates to exisiting science, makes you want to study worm holes and balck holes and relativity, a great sense of wonder, mind bending, terrific .........

Comment

I love Sam and Jack little chat at the start of the episode It was so cute and funny. Sam trying to explain thigns to him without as they try to make sure no oen knwos that I loved it

Also first episode with Major Davis I love that guy I love Sam tags beign sucked into the gate. I also liked Cromwell.Anyway I really liked this episode

Originally posted by Polyglot View Post
              Speaking of which... what do they do with their salaries, anyway? This is one of those jobs where you "live for your work", isn't it? Buy a new car that you'll hardly use, or pay rent on a place you only see once a week? After all they've been through, you'd think "normal life" would be pretty dull.. right?
              Welcome to Sam life
              Ben Browder on who'd win a fight, Mitchell or Critchon..."Cameron would have the upper hand until Aeryn kicked his ass."

Comment

I enjoyed this episode as well, but had an issue with Jack not forgiving Cromwell, and unlike the other posters, didn't see the moment before Cromwell is sucked in, that they saw. Jack isn't perfect. And, moreso, since I thought he might have said something at the end when they visited him in the infirmary like..."... and Cromwell??" It seemed an omission more from the writers than from the character.

Comment

My question is would an 18-20 yr old airman in 1998 even know what a "walkman with dying batteries" sounds like? That's a very '80s reference. I don't remember kids(or anybody else for that matter) listening to tapes much in the late '90s.

Comment

So so boring.....
                    sigpic
                    Sig made by slizzie1986

Comment

One of my favorite eps ever. A nice usage of *all* the main characters.

Love the donut explanation to Teal'c.

suse
                      sigpic
                      Mourning Sanctuary.
                      Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Originally posted by suse View Post
                        One of my favorite eps ever. A nice usage of *all* the main characters.

Love the donut explanation to Teal'c.

suse
                        *All*?....Let me guess....for you Daniel isn't....
                        sigpic
                        Sig made by slizzie1986

Comment

Originally posted by Cheerful Dragon View Post
                          I have one problem with this episode which, having read the backlog, hasn't been mentioned. The black hole was caused by a star collapsing and all the problems are caused by the gravitational pull of the black hole. SG-10 are seen running back to the Stargate in an attempt to get home. Questions arising:

How close does a planet have to be to a black hole for it to feel the effects of the hole?
                          How long does it take from formation of the black hole for its effects to be felt?
                          Putting those two together, is it possible for a black hole to form and have an effect on a planet in the time between an initial MALP/FRED/UAV survey and the decision to send a team? In other words, should SG-10 have been there in the first place?
                          Given that they were there, how come they managed to get so far from the Stargate before realising there was a problem?

I know that's four questions, but it's the last two that are my real issue. OK, OK, so if they hadn't been sent, we wouldn't have had a great episode. I'm just curious, that's all.
                          Well I'm no scientist (shame) but the time dialation effects of the black hole would probably have slowed time down so much before the SG10 team even noticed something was wrong, take this for example:

SG10 are sent to the planet on a routine mission, unbeknowst to them, the planet is in orbit of a black hole already, what we see at the beginning is merely a for the fans representation of the process where in the black hole emmits a massive gravity wave, now, for SG10's prespective, they have simply walked from the gate over the rise and a few hundred feet, then only realising they are in the vecinity of a terrible phenomena, causing Earthquakes, and possibly dimming the sunlight, running back to the gate, they from our prespective are moving slowly, as the planet quickly becomes more and more attracted to the blackhole, the time decreases even more exponentially.

In essence they were pretty much doomed the second the planet was affected by the time dialation, all physics went out of the window in a sense, the wormhole could not be established and all the events of running back to the gate, dialing home and the malp being sent through, was a minute if not less, as the blackhole has been the feature of around 3 other episode plotlines, in theory, from SGC's prespective, SG10 will not die for years to come, since the STargate was not destroyed even by the episode 2001.

Time dialation is tricky, and if Earth was being sucked into a Blackhole, I'm afraid to say, we would probably not be able to escape the gravity, and it's time dialation effects, from the outside universe we may spend decades trying to save our selves, and if we know that much about black holes, imagine what we don't know, HECK!! It could take centuries to be killed, relatively speaking
                          sigpic
                          In brightest day, in darkest night,

No evil shall escape my sight

Let those who worship evil's might,

Beware my power...Green Rep-Points light!

Comment

I thought it was cool how the wormhole did that spinning thing, but it begs the question... Would the wormhole spin the other way in Australia?

My rating: 6/10

Full Review: http://stargatesummer.blogspot.com/2...r-of-time.html
                            My attempt to watch every episode of SG-1 and Atlantis this summer:
                            http://stargatesummer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by HelloVelo View Post
                              I thought it was cool how the wormhole did that spinning thing, but it begs the question... Would the wormhole spin the other way in Australia?

My rating: 6/10

Full Review: http://stargatesummer.blogspot.com/2...r-of-time.html
                              To answer your question I don't think the Coriolis Effect would have any effect on the Stargates event horizon. Our earths gravity wasn't controlling the spin, therefore it wouldn't matter where it was on earth it would always spin the same way.

I really liked this episode. We see Major Paul Davis for the first time and get a peek into Jack's past. The fact that he spent four months in an Iraqi prison makes a lot of sense. For an officer to be picked for an off world mission and than go on to lead the front line team of the SGC he would have to have some serious credentials. It's a shame that Colonel Cromwell died, they should have knocked out that glass before they went down the rope.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Darkstar 2.0 View Post
                                Well
                                SG10 are sent to the planet on a routine mission, unbeknowst to them, the planet is in orbit of a black hole already, what we see at the beginning is merely a for the fans representation of the process where in the black hole emmits a massive gravity wave, now, for SG10's prespective, they have simply walked from the gate over the rise and a few hundred feet, then only realising they are in the vecinity of a terrible phenomena, causing Earthquakes, and possibly dimming the sunlight, running back to the gate, they from our prespective are moving slowly, as the planet quickly becomes more and more attracted to the blackhole, the time decreases even more exponentially.
                                I am new to this forum and haven't had much time to read all of this thread first. But anyways, something I wonder.

Considering time dilation, even though the first wormhole connection that SG10 dialed in on the planet lost its connection on SGC's side. Don't you think there would still be a wormhole active on SG10 side? Maybe that is why SGC could not disengage their wormhole and would explain how gravity could leak through the Stargate and start pulling everything in.

Comment

Working...
                                X