The Fifth Race (215)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One of the best episodes of the series.

Jack is doing something and doesn't know why, just like he will 5 seasons from now. Teal'c and Jack boxing was cool, with Teal'c not knowing what he's suppose to do.

The Fifth Race continued the building of the Stargate mythos, and started asking the biggest question of the whole franchise in "Who the hell are the Furlings?"

Tomorrow, Apophis comes back asking for some help from us. Oh, and it's Peter DeLuise's first directed SG-1 episode.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by syncline View Post
      Hi! I'm new. I thought there might be an introduce-yourself thread but I didn't see one, so I'm using my first post ever for one of my favorite episodes

I remember that back when I saw the title before watching the ep for the first time, I assumed "the fifth race" was going to be some newly-introduced group of aliens. It was cool that it actually turned out to be referring to the Tau'ri.

Another thing I like is that having a meaningful interaction with aliens and being optimistic about our future and our purpose are kind of "Daniel things". The fact that in this case it's Jack, who's usually cynical, gives it extra weight I think.

Miscellaneous: Love the soundtrack for the Asgard scene. Agree with people on previous pages that "locus" was an odd word for Daniel not to know. Curious about what might have been outside of the room with the repository. Want those DHD instructions as a poster or something, lol.

It was interesting to read the first few pages of this thread where people were speculating about the ninth chevron. It's awesome that one of them was right! (Even if it was in a vague way. I mean, it'd be a little eerie if they'd guessed the details.)

So, hi again. Glad to be here
      Welcome to Gatworld! There is a re-watch thread we get together on to have a chat about where we're at and how it's all going with the re-watch. New people have introduced themselves there who have joined for the re-watch.

http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/8...ch!?p=12925837

Comment

I love everything about this episode that everyone else does. It's just as great the 10th or 50th or 100th time as it was the first.

One thing that popped into my fron as I was watch was that Jack tries to teach Teal'c to box. Much later we see Teal'c showing Jonas how to box (but Teal'c still doesn't dance).

And here's the beginnings of our Ancient dictionary:

Ani = Are
        Anquiatas = Ancients
        Asurdo = Help
        Comdo = Please
        Desardi = Want
        Ego = I
        Etium = Understand
        Fargus = Done
        Fron = Head
        Indio = Need
        Kozars = Legs
        Kruvas = Wrong
        Locus = Location
        Navo = New
        Nu = We
        Phylatis = Ability

Comment

I'm certainly not going to be the first person to say "I hate this episode" (because it wouldn't be true). I'm among the multitude who love it. However, I do have a nit to pick.

In my experience, if a computer program is interrupted before all the commands are typed, it doesn't work. So Jack couldn't have been reprogramming the computers when Teal'c grabbed him.

So, my hypothesis is that he typed in the program first, which included a command to run if his typing was interrupted for more than a few seconds. Then he started typing in data (i.e., gate addresses). That's what he was doing when Teal'c grabbed him. Which set the hidden program running and there you go.

Seaboe
          If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Makes sense to me. He could have input the program to upload the database of addresses, and then begun populating the database afterward, but with the program itself set to upload the database either as it was populated, or after any cessation longer than n seconds in his populating of it.

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
            Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
            sigpic
            now also appearing on DeviantArt
            Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome, jckfan and Krisz!

Comment

One of the best episodes of Sg-1. We learn so much in this episode about who built the stargate system and we finally find out who was in the alliance that was written on the Ernest planet. This is also the beginning of the ancient story arc in the series.
                My favorite TV shows

sigpic

Comment

either that or the first thing jack put in was a translation program, then he was typing in addresses after addresses, and then the computer translated it.....which is why they got some addresses even after he stopped typing
                  Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
                    either that or the first thing jack put in was a translation program, then he was typing in addresses after addresses, and then the computer translated it.....which is why they got some addresses even after he stopped typing
                    I figure that delay was the computer compiling. Once it finished compiling, it started spitting out addresses.

Since he was typing numbers (machine code), a casual glance wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the program and the data, and that's all Sam got before the machines rebooted.

Seaboe
                    If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Well, actually, compiling is what a computer does with the program itself. The program would have been compiled before adding the database...

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                      Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
                      sigpic
                      now also appearing on DeviantArt
                      Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

This episode was the point when I got seriously hooked with Sg1. I was extremely fascinated about the story that Asgard told Jack. At least that is my memories of my 1st viewing.
                        Now when I watch it all the episode is telling me so much more.
                        Though I was disturbed that one of the Asgard had device implanted into his palm, which did just what Jack needed to be done to him - take away the knowledge. Later on we don't see such device on any of other Asgards.
                        I understand tat Jack and others were shocked and did not know what was going on, but I was hoping, that Jack would realise what he has in his brains, and would use it more.
                        The scene were Jack is trying to box with Teal'c is hilarious. He is so natural at all that loosen up thing
                        With his bend your kozars expression he reminded of my grandad when I was a kid, when he would teach us something and would say something in his old Samogitian language, and we young kids wouldn't understand Oh, the good days
                        But yeah, fantastic episode, after which I was glued to PC screen for a long time.
                        Last edited by muziqaz; 24 September 2011, 02:16 AM.
                        sigpic

Comment

5pm...time for another ep of SG1...

1. Heliopolis follow up interesting...

2. OK...something's grabbed Jack's head...OK...he's speaking another language.

3. Oh come on Daniel...you can do better than that...I took early morning Latin lessons for about a year in secondary school...even I didn't need a dictionary to work out what "locus" meant...the middle two words would have been the hard ones...still, we all have braindead moments!

4. What the hell is Jack building?

5. 8th chevron????

6. This was actually the first time I'd seen the Asgard in their true form so I didn't initially get who the grey guys were(didn't even register that SG1 had history with them!)

I'm not one to really drool about this ep but it's still very interesting.
                          I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Simply put. Its a classic. But why is it loved by almost every fan?

What makes the Fifth Race so loved is that it has something for everyone. We all come to Stargate with different likes of the show. Thier is the cultural aspect to explore the Four Races as it introduces the Ancients and explores more on the Asgard. for the alien race fans. For the science people we learn a lot about the gate including the use of an 8th chevron. For character development their is Jack's struggle and the team sticking with him through it all. So like I said Fifth Race has something for everyone. Although it always bugged me they never used the device Jack built in the later seasons as an alternate for ZPMs.
                            Originally posted by aretood2
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post
                              - A moment that made me laugh came at the end of the episode. Carter is locked out of the computer, has no idea how to get control of the iris or even the most basic commands. The gate powers up and Jack comes back through. Carter tells Hammond she has control back, and he says, "Good work!". She didn't do anything, yet appears very happy to take credit for it and not contradict the General!
                              And why was she so astonished to learn about base 8 math or why didn't she see the correlation? Not that I get it, but she should! :-) The ep highlighted the differences in how Daniel and Sam think. She's so focused on her own goal, whereas Daniel takes in all the bits and pieces, leftover or not, scrambles them up and comes up with Pie! His loyalty to Jack is so moving.

So much new information. It's fantastic!

The funniest scene, I thought, was the team's reaction as Jack's head is being sucked by that head sucker thing. They're all so calm! But getting decked by Teal'c is a rare moment, for sure, as well Daniel and Frasier's interaction with Jack the builder.

Lt. Simmons: We've lost the traveler!

Comment

"There is nothing kruvas with me!"

*fron desk*

Rather enjoyed this ep. Jack, the consumate 'play dumb' character (and we all know this is play, because the man could not have made his current rank without advanced degrees...and the intelligence to acheive them) is miles ahead of everyone, and even he can't understand most of what is coming out of his fron.

The team's dedication to Jack is admirable, and the introduction to the Anicents (and the fleshing out of the Asgard) is very cool.

Loved it.
                                sigpic
                                sig by Ikorni

"When Colonel Maybourne and yourself were stranded off world, Major Carter felt a similar sense of frustration. She despaired at the thought of never seeing you again." ~Teal'c
                                "I didn't leave,because I'd have rather died myself,than lose Carter." ~Jack O'Neill

SaraBahama FanFic; AO3

Comment

Working...
                                X