The Fifth Race (215)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by luthienberen
    My favourite episode out of all episodes of SG-1. 'The Fifth Race' holds the essence of StarGate.

The friendship moments between Jack and Daniel were so powerful.

The only nit pick I have is: Daniel did not know the meaning of 'locus'? I only did GCSE Latin and I know the definition of that word! Believe me, it was rather unbelieveable that Daniel could translate the rest of the sentence but not that rather easy word! Just glares out wheneevr that part unfolds, otherwise surperb acting, directing and storytelling.

Friends forever.

You hold great potential.

Ancients, Furlings: The Four Race Alliance.

You know that meaning of life stuff?

Nods head

I think we're going to be okay.

(Paraphased!)
    Yes, the absolute best episode. Too bad that they moved away from this concept,becoming the fifth race, exploring the universe, discovery, all of that being a huge part of everything along with just trying to find technology and fight the bad guys. Now it's just fight fight fight, find weapons, and a few scraps thrown to discovery for discovery's sake.

But, I love the friendship moments through the episode. And, it really doesn't bother me that Daniel didn't know locus. Maybe it is a super easy word, but for me it's such a minor thing in the face of that wonderful moment, Jack and Daniel together face to face, going back and forth in conversation. Actually until some people brought it up, I never even paid attention to whether or not he should have known the word.
    I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347
      Yes, the absolute best episode. Too bad that they moved away from this concept,becoming the fifth race, exploring the universe, discovery, all of that being a huge part of everything along with just trying to find technology and fight the bad guys. Now it's just fight fight fight, find weapons, and a few scraps thrown to discovery for discovery's sake.

But, I love the friendship moments through the episode. And, it really doesn't bother me that Daniel didn't know locus. Maybe it is a super easy word, but for me it's such a minor thing in the face of that wonderful moment, Jack and Daniel together face to face, going back and forth in conversation. Actually until some people brought it up, I never even paid attention to whether or not he should have known the word.
      I competely agree, The Fifth Race holds the essence of Stargate SG-1 for me and it is a pity that TPTB have turned to writing utter crap full of explosions, muscles (Daniel and Teal'c look like they are on steriods), boobs, plotholes the size of Britain - after all, don't worry, intelligence isn't needed as the new shiny tech of the week will get us out of trouble!, humour which is more suited for the gutter, characterisation assassination, friendship was murdered etc...

To be honest, my nitpick is just that. It doesn't bother me, it simply surprised me the when I saw it! But I assure you, it does not detract from the beauty of this episode that has truly moving moments between Jack and Daniel.

*sigh* I wish that TPTB could write such Jack and Daniel banter and friendship still - how they stood side by side, Daniel refusing to allow Jack to face oblivion alone. True friendship. Now, they are virtual strangers. And Staragte SG-1 has gone KIA.
      The man who opened the way.

The man who led the way.

"It will take you a million light years from home. But will it bring you back?" Stargate the movie

A mystery ... a secret ... a threshold ... to the future. Stargte the movie

The perfect SG-1 team: Colonel Jack, Daniel, Major Ferretti and Jonas

Comment

Originally posted by Praetorian
        Yeah I never got why he needed the dictionary for that word.
        Puzzling certianly, but it doesn't ruin the show for me. Simply was rather startling at the time for an ex-Latin student! And welcome to Gateworld and hope you ahve a fnatastic time here!

The man who led the way.

"It will take you a million light years from home. But will it bring you back?" Stargate the movie

Comment

Maybe he just wanted to check if he was right. I am a great math student but every once and awhile I have to look up something as simple as a formula for a right cone or something.
          sigpic

Comment

A vaild point - I am a good science student and every scientist occassionally needs to look up formulas (even basic ones). However, it just didn't ring true in this case because Daniel knew the rest of the sentacne, which is very basic. But, it doesn't ruin my enjoyment of the show and is more a passing thought.

The man who led the way.

Comment

Well you just proved my point ok he knew the rest of the sentance he just wasn't sure on one part.

I can say this is this and this is this and then choke up on one part of the equation.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by captain jake
                Well you just proved my point ok he knew the rest of the sentance he just wasn't sure on one part.

I can say this is this and this is this and then choke up on one part of the equation.
                I agree completely, and you just made me laugh over the choking (in a good way!). Actually, I think I need to go to bed - it's almost midnight here and I haevn't slept properly sicne six am.

The man who led the way.

Comment

Alright, why did that make you laugh?
                  sigpic

Comment

No idea, 'choke up' sounded funny to my sleep deprived, sugar drugged brain.

Anyway, brilliant ep.

The man who led the way.

Comment

One question, I wonder why we never brought it back to study the first time we encountered it.
                      sigpic

Comment

They may have thought it was to dangerous to go near it again.

Joe Mallozzi: "Like my grandmother used to say: Whenever a gate closes, a hyperspace window opens…"

Comment

I competely agree, The Fifth Race holds the essence of Stargate SG-1 for me
                          No doubt it was an important and great episode, it was the first SG episode that gave me chills and cemented the fact that this is a truly great series.

A lot of my favorite episodes invlove the Asgard.
                          the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
                          Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race
                            No doubt it was an important and great episode, it was the first SG episode that gave me chills and cemented the fact that this is a truly great series.

A lot of my favorite episodes invlove the Asgard.
                            Same here.

As for why they didn't bring it back ... I agree with beale947, that during Jack's condition they considered the Device too dangerous to approach, after all, look what it had done to the Colonel! However, they did eventually remove it because in S7 Lost City Carter refers to their lack of progress in studying the one that 'infected' Colonel Jack.

The man who led the way.

Comment

As for why they didn't bring it back ... I agree with beale947, that during Jack's condition they considered the Device too dangerous to approach, after all, look what it had done to the Colonel! However, they did eventually remove it because in S7 Lost City Carter refers to their lack of progress in studying the one that 'infected' Colonel Jack.
                              The thing is, that Jack built a power source to enhance the Stargate with the Ancient knowledge that was downloaded to his brain. O'Neill was the only one the head grabbing Ancient thingy would work on because he had the Ancient gene. The Ancients were very careful building technology that wouldn't hurt anyone using it especially someone with the Ancient gene. So was Jack ever really in any danger of dying?, I think not, I think he would have found a way to either get to the Asgard or maybe the Nox to get the information removed.

I do seem to remember they gave it to the Asgard to study but that even the Asgard had only scratched the surface of deciphering it.

It's been awhile since I last watched The Fifth Race, this gives me a great excuse to pull that episode out of my DVD box set to re-watch.
                              the Fifth Race

Mod@ www.Bodybuilding.com
                              Mod@ www.MMAforumcom

Comment

Originally posted by the Fifth Race
                                The thing is, that Jack built a power source to enhance the Stargate with the Ancient knowledge that was downloaded to his brain. O'Neill was the only one the head grabbing Ancient thingy would work on because he had the Ancient gene. The Ancients were very careful building technology that wouldn't hurt anyone using it especially someone with the Ancient gene. So was Jack ever really in any danger of dying?, I think not, I think he would have found a way to either get to the Asgard or maybe the Nox to get the information removed.

I do seem to remember they gave it to the Asgard to study but that even the Asgard had only scratched the surface of deciphering it.

It's been awhile since I last watched The Fifth Race, this gives me a great excuse to pull that episode out of my DVD box set to re-watch.
                                Yes, because, even though he has the
                                Spoiler:
                                Anicent gene his brain is still not advanced enough to be able to withstand the wealth and depth of knowedgle that the Anicents secured in the Device.

Jack is the next step that allows him to use the Ancient tech, but he hasn't reached the stage of the frozen Ancient in S6 where his brain capcity can hold the knowedgle without breaking. So, if he hadn't found the Asgard he would have died or lost himself. And yes, the Asgard have not gone far into surrending the secrets of the Ancients form the Device. And surely talking about S7/8 stuff in the S2 folder requires a spolier ?

And by all means watch! A stellar ep. Jack and Daniel friendness and the shivering feeling of big matters!
                                Last edited by luthienberen; 04 June 2006, 10:59 AM.

The man who led the way.

Comment

Working...
                                X