No announcement yet.

The Tok'ra, Part 1 (211)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting episode, finally introducing us to the Tok'ra properly - and also making them seem quite unlikable from the start, outside of Martouf. Sarah Douglas was wonderful here, I really wish they had brought her character back but we'll never see her again (despite her being the most hunted Goa'uld of all time according to Teal'c).

Jack is really antagonistic throughout, and for once it feels perfectly justified. Something about the Tok'ra just doesn't sit right. Much more enjoyable are the scenes with General Hammond and Jacob, despite their sad tone. Don S. Davis plays Hammond with the much more caring side we get a glimpse of from time to time and he was a joy to watch. It becomes glaringly obvious that the solution to everyone's problem is for Jacob to take the dying Tok'ra symbiote as a host, and in that respect it is a bit too convenient (but none of that happens in this episode, so we'll leave it for now).

The other highlight of the episode is the outside conversation between Sam and Martouf, even if old Marty does edge a little bit towards creepy at a few moments. For the most part though, this is a slow trudge of an episode which is all set up for what will happen in part 2. There are a LOT of scenes of discussion in this episode which ultimately don't lead anywhere, and just serve to fill us in on a few things. Fortunately, it's full of new characters, new environments and gives us a lot of new information to mull over.

- For some reason my DVDs have the episode order different to what is listed here, and have placed 'Spirits' before this one. I'm going with the order listed here, though.

- First appearance of Martouf! He was great, really stood out as being of a very different personality from the rest of the Tok'ra.

- The opening of the episode doesn't include a "previously on Stargate SG-1..." voice over, and for a few moments I thought I was watching the wrong episode, as it was the opening sequence from 'In the Line of Duty'.

- Daniel mentions his bad experience with the sarcophagus. It's little things like that which callback to previous episodes that I love about Stargate. They don't just have an adventure and then forget about it and move on to the next one... most of the time.

- As I mentioned above, I loved Sarah Douglas in this. I think of all the Tok'ra actors, she portrayed the personality switch from symbiote to host the best. While she appears arrogant and prickly as the Tok'ra, as soon as she switches to her host she becomes sweet, friendly and likable and it's very impressive. She even seems younger when playing the host personality. They really should have gotten her back. Too expensive, maybe? Or just no appropriate storylines for her?

- The crystal-carved Tok'ra caves look wonderful, and the sets looked pretty big at times. Impressive.

- SG-3 make their first appearance since way back in season 1's 'First Commandment'. I like that we see they are still around doing their thing.

RATING: 6.5 out of 10
    Private guitar tuition | Return To Grace - rock/pop party band

Comment

A very enjoyable episode.

I was intrigued at the beginning by Sam having the dreams/memories and that she was, in a sense, experimenting on herself in memory recall (or whatever that was), and the fact that Hammond allowed them to go on the mission based on Sam's memories of Jolinar.

Sam calling her dad and having him be abrupt with her almost made my heart break. I loved having Hammond in the background and basically being more of the real 'father-figure' for Sam than her actual dad was. Hammond's comment, "You're more like your father than you'd like to admit" didn't have a lot of meaning at the time, but from the things we learned later in this series, we see a lot more of the similarities. "Holy Hannah" for one!

It sort of amuses me that we see the Tok'ra being "stealthy" when they pop up from the sand just as Teal'c is saying that they're "stealthy". However, this is one tactic that we really never see them use.

I loved the parts where Sam & Martouf were getting to know each other. It was great to hear Sam voice her feelings to someone whom you think would understand what it's like having a second "soul" inside of one body, yet Martouf didn't really understand because he's been blended for so long.

I also loved the team's reactions to the request to be a host:
      I'm going to pass on that.
      Yes, although it does s…sound very fascinating, I think it's a little too long term for me.
      I'm sorry, I've already been through that.

Probably my favorite scene in this episode is the one with Hammond/Jacob in the hospital and George tells Jacob to "cut the brave soldier routine". It almost feels like Sam's two "dads" getting together to compare notes. And I can't help but chuckle at the intercom page for "Dr Shanahan" as George stands at the door before going in the room. At least they didn't say "Dr Pete Shanahan"!
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post
        Interesting episode, finally introducing us to the Tok'ra properly - and also making them seem quite unlikable from the start, outside of Martouf. Sarah Douglas was wonderful here, I really wish they had brought her character back but we'll never see her again (despite her being the most hunted Goa'uld of all time according to Teal'c).

Jack is really antagonistic throughout, and for once it feels perfectly justified. Something about the Tok'ra just doesn't sit right.

- Daniel mentions his bad experience with the sarcophagus. It's little things like that which callback to previous episodes that I love about Stargate. They don't just have an adventure and then forget about it and move on to the next one... most of the time.

- As I mentioned above, I loved Sarah Douglas in this. I think of all the Tok'ra actors, she portrayed the personality switch from symbiote to host the best. While she appears arrogant and prickly as the Tok'ra, as soon as she switches to her host she becomes sweet, friendly and likable and it's very impressive. She even seems younger when playing the host personality. They really should have gotten her back. Too expensive, maybe? Or just no appropriate storylines for her?

RATING: 6.5 out of 10
        Great points! I agree that Sarah Douglas did a great job of switching personalities. Like you said, she seemed very different and I thought it was well done. I love the love/hate the Tok'ra and feel Jack's animosity toward them. I think that the whole Tok'ra thing was well played throughout the series and was a cool dynamic. Will they help us/won't they? are they on the level/are they hiding something from us? Just a cool feel to it.

I agree with you about the nice touches from previous episodes. That's what I love!
        Enjoying the Stargate Re-Watch Event: "This should not get old, General!"

Noxbait's Fan Fiction

Comment

Originally posted by Dave2 View Post
          How did they ptoduce the special effect of the transfer of Selmak to Jacob Carter from the dying old host??
          I imagine they added Selmak to the scene digitally after it was filmed. No doubt they do so with every symbiote.

My Livejournal post
          Gotta love this two parter.
          I also agree about Sarah Douglas. She was also great as Jha'Dur (Deathwalker) on an early episode of Babylon 5.
          "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
          "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
          "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
          "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

sigpic
          >-- Czechs Rock! >--

Comment

Great episode. The episodes I've been waiting all week for.

The "Previously On..." dialogue was missing, which I thought was weird. As usual, the new aliens didn't trust us (thanks ), but almost curtain that they eventually will start trusting us soon.

Tomorrow, the conclusion of this 2-part debut of the Tok'ra.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post

Jack is really antagonistic throughout, and for once it feels perfectly justified. Something about the Tok'ra just doesn't sit right. Much more enjoyable are the scenes with General Hammond and Jacob, despite their sad tone. Don S. Davis plays Hammond with the much more caring side we get a glimpse of from time to time and he was a joy to watch. It becomes glaringly obvious that the solution to everyone's problem is for Jacob to take the dying Tok'ra symbiote as a host, and in that respect it is a bit too convenient (but none of that happens in this episode, so we'll leave it for now).
              I think that in some ways the Tok'ra were reacting the way the SGC would have if put in a similar situation. For example, Jack asks a few times whether or not they are prisoners of the Tok'ra because they aren't being allowed to leave or move very freely throughout the tunnels, but they have treated, and will treat, potential allies in the same way. They don not allow visitors from other worlds outside of the base. Even Teal'c is only allowed to leave in special circumstances. And the Tok'ra also worried about SG-1 and SG-3 leaving with sensitive intel about them while is Teal'c is seen as a security risk for Earth when he tries to leave in season 1 to get his son, and up to as late as season 10 when
              Spoiler:
              he goes to seek revenge on the man who killed his mother and Laundry has to send SG-1 to retrieve/ subdue him by any means (although they would not have/ did not go to that extreme.

I also would have liked to see the Tok'ra leader again, maybe it was just scheduling, as the show is usually very good about continuity like this.

Comment

An okay ep for a Tok'ra ep. Martouf is still as creepy as ever. Part 1 isn't as good as part 2.
                sigpic

Comment

This was great to watch first time round for the introduction of a new race and still fun to watch after many viewings. I always liked the grey area the Tok'ra existed in. Goa'uld but not Goa'uld. I enjoyed watching how they were introduced and their motives are left very much up to interpretation, which we get through Jack.

The first meeting between them is full of suspicion on both sides and I liked the honest way they could talk about how humans felt about being taken as hosts and then learning how some choose to do it and live good rewarding lives. First impressions certainly applied here, the Tok'ra never forgot the level of revulsion SG-1 displayed automatically on being asked if they'd come to offer themselves as hosts. This underlying current remained throughout the series and made future encounters more interesting between the Tau'ri and Tok'ra I thought.

Comment

The Tokra is one of those episodes that comes from that its too long to be a single episode and too short to be a two parter. This scenario brings where the two parter drags on a little bit. This happens primarily in part 1. Thier is an abundance of exposition without much happening. Yes their is a lot we learn about the Tokra and all but their isn't a lot of action going on. Just how their society functions as a whole. And I find myself cringing at Sam and Martouf.

Despite these compliants as it seems I do like the episode. I find the mutalistic nature of the Tokra intriging. In reality I can see people sharing their body for prolonged life. I see the shaky ground they are at. And I personally like seeing the turmoil Jacob has as he dies
                    Originally posted by aretood2
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

The Tok'ra add yet another, deeper level of understanding by the Tauri of the society that exists beyond the 'gate. Learning of the symbiotic relationship and passed on knowledge busts previous assumptions wide open.

Not sure which I enjoyed most, though; Jack's taunting or his hair! Jacob continues to be a Class A jerk and Daniel continues to creep up on Sam's love interests. hmmm.

Creation and vanishing the tunnels is a delightful effect.

Comment

Jacob a jerk? Daniel creepy? Were we watching the same show here?

(Yes, I'm female. Okay?)
                        Sum, ergo scribo...

My own site ** FF.net * All That We Leave Behind * Symbiotica ** AO3
                        sigpic
                        now also appearing on DeviantArt
                        Explore Colonel Frank Cromwell's odyssey after falling through the Stargate in Season Two's A Matter of Time, and follow Jack's search for him. Significant Tok'ra supporting characters and a human culture drawn from the annals of history. Book One of the series By Honor Bound.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
                          I agree that Jacob was a jerk (telling Sam to leave without acknowledging she had the right to be with him, then trying to worm what she was doing from Hammond), I don't think Daniel was creepy.

Seaboe
                          If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Good episode it's nice to finally see the Tok'ra finally and see Jacob again.
                            My favorite TV shows

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dtheories View Post
                              Jacob continues to be a Class A jerk and Daniel continues to creep up on Sam's love interests.
                              Originally posted by SF_and_Coffee View Post
                              • CREEP UP (verb)
                              The verb CREEP UP has 1 sense:
                              1. advance stealthily or unnoticed
                              Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                              Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                              On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

I agree with those who really enjoyed Sarah Douglas as Garshaw and would have liked to see her again. I think the actress wasn't available when they tried to bring her back.

I really like the Tok'ra tunnels set. Looks a lot more like crystals than the hay bales they used for later Tok'ra sets.

The music used in this episode gives me a sense of forboding, like nothing is quite on the level. I think it conveyed the skepticism the Jack demonstrated.

I thought AT did an excellent job demonstrating a wide range of emotions. She has to deal with her dying father who doesn't want to see her, memories of her possession by Jolinar, Jolinar's emotions, and her own desperation to find some peace and purpose in her experience as an unwilling host.

Comment

Working...
                                X