No announcement yet.

Secrets (209)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sure, they could. Did the prisoners in "Need" look especially happy to you? Or the baddies on Netu? Look what they did to Cassie's homeworld. Just dangle a threat of instantaneous death over someone's head and they'll generally do anything you want them to.

Comment

this is one of my favorite episodes from season2, some nice advances on the next seasons aim aswell as general goa'uld info.

really enjoyed this episodes!
      sigpic
      Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

Originally posted by greytop
        To me, all Gou'ald are paranoid.
        You're not paranoid if they really are out to get you.
        My LiveJournal.

If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere.
        -Frank A. Clark

An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out?
        -Michel de Saint-Pierre

Now, there's this about cynicism. It's the universe's most supine moral position. Real comfortable. If nothing can be done, then you're not some kind of **** for not doing it, and you can lie there and stink to yourself in perfect peace.
        -Lois McMaster Bujold, "The Borders of Infinity"

Comment

Originally posted by LMichelle
          I loved this ep because it centered on Daniel and Sha're. It was such an emotional episode for Daniel and MS portrayed Daniel's pain and anguish perfectly.

A few things bothered me about it. Sha're has been on Abydos for "more than a season" according to Kasuf. We don't know how long that is in earth time, but it's obviously awhile. Did Kasuf not wonder why his daughter had returned to the planet and pregnant to boot? Also, when Sha're returned to the planet didn't she wonder where Daniel was? Daniel seemed surprised that it was Apophis' child. Well, who else's would it have been, Daniel?
          I think Kasuf did wonder, but didn't press his daughter when she didn't want to talk about it. Remember, at this point he really knows very little of the world beyond Abydos; almost anything could have happened. I'm sure Sha're wondered where Daniel was, but didn't want to seek him out for fear of rejection (she was dead sure he was gonna blame her for being pregnant, remember). And as to Daniel being surprised that it was Apophis' child, well, the man was in shock and not thinking clearly. If he had been, he would have taken her back to the SGC much earlier than he did.
          My LiveJournal.

-Frank A. Clark

An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out?
          -Michel de Saint-Pierre

Now, there's this about cynicism. It's the universe's most supine moral position. Real comfortable. If nothing can be done, then you're not some kind of **** for not doing it, and you can lie there and stink to yourself in perfect peace.

Comment

Originally posted by bcmilco
            Yes, but what would Mayborne's motive to kill him be?

The Pentagon would want to keep their top secret project a secret.
            So do the NID. It's a lot easier to control something top secret than something that's headline news.
            My LiveJournal.

-Frank A. Clark

-Michel de Saint-Pierre

Comment

Originally posted by Selmak
              The first episode with Jacob Carter.
              Yeah. And while he is now one of my favorite characters, you can't deny that he's a huge SOB in this episode. A real jerk. Ah, well, Selmak was a good influence.

Actually, that's one of the reasons I like the Tok'ra; Jacob is a much nicer guy after he's blended.
              My LiveJournal.

-Frank A. Clark

-Michel de Saint-Pierre

Comment

This episode is probably one of my all time favourites. It took on lots of arcs from Apophis to Jacob Carter. Hopefully Season Eight and Nine will have more great episodes like this.

Comment

I'll agree and say that this episode is another of my favourites from this season.
                  MS does a great job, and really conveys his love for Sha're. And I think as well that Apophis proves his love for Amonet where he touches her cheek as she asks for forgiveness - I still say he's a great baddie.
                  I liked Jack's reaction to Hammond when the reporter was killed - not directly questioning but unbelieving just the same.
                  And Jacob Carter - I'll just agree and say thank goodness for Selmak.

Comment

I agree about Jacob too. He spends pretty much all of the time in 'Secrets' focusing on what he's going to do for Sam's career - which strings he's pulled and so on. It doesn't seem to occur to him at any time that she's more than happy where she is. You don't get the Air Force Medal for being bored and unmotivated, do you? At least, I assume you don't.

On the other hand, you could quite justifiably put a lot of his behaviour down to his lymphoma diagnosis. The prognosis wasn't exactly desperate at that stage, but the word 'Cancer' casts a dread shadow. He knew that Sam had dreamed of entering the Space Programme when she was younger, that she'd missed her chance after the Challenger disaster put things on hold and that this was his opportunity to get her what he still thought she hankered for (he has no idea, of course, that she's been into space quite a few times by now and doesn't need to do it strapped into a small capsule attached to several tons of highly dangerous combustible materials).

He was viewing it as what could, quite possibly, be his last chance to get Sam what he thought she wanted. The biggest problem is that what she's doing now not only whacks the Space Programme right into a cocked hat, it's also classified so she can't give him a decent reason why she's knocking him back (other than the 'I'm happy where I am now' routine, which may be true but still sounds dead lame). To him, she's turning down a Chance Of A Lifetime that he's pulled all those strings to get for her - and purely so she can stare at computer screens and stuff all day. I guess you can understand him being just a tad hacked off with this - even though he really only has himself to blame for his big gesture plunging to earth in a fireball.

Having said that, leaving her with the 'I've got Cancer, Sam. Byee' routine wasn't particularly paternal! Blending with Selmak was the best thing that ever could have happened to him, and it certainly put him firmly into 'Chaka's Mum's favourite recurring characters' list. The only problem I have is working out whether he's number one or Bra'tac is...
                    sigpic

Comment

I always enjoy watching this episode. I love all of the scenes in Washington:

* The warm companionable relationship between Jack and Sam
                      * Jack's reaction to meeting Jacob
                      * Jack's interactions with Armin Zelig. Despite the fact that he was intent on screwing up our heroes, Zelig was a likeable character. Which made his death and the suspicions surrounding it, much more poignant. Also like the medal scene later, RDA does a great job of showing what he's feeling without having to say a word there. Beautifully done and great to watch.
                      * All of the scenes with Jacob and Sam.

The companion plotline back on Abydos interested me a little less, but still has some fine moments in it, especially the scenes between Teal'c and Daniel as the latter wrestles with his emotions. And Sha'ra and Daniel are always excellent together on screen. Things pick up for me here though when the D/S relationship scenes are out of the way and we get into the more action-orientated scenes. Particular moments I love watching:

*Teal'c whacking Daniel behind the knees. LOL. Never fails to make me chuckle.
                      * Jack's reaction to stepping through the stargate and finding more than he bargained on waiting for him.
                      * Basically everything from that point on till the end credits <g>.
                      * Jack's 'Was thinking about it" and throwing the knife. I just love the totally natural way he snaps free the knife before doing that. Like it's something he's been doing his whole life. Never get tired watching him do that so smoothly.
                      * Jack correcting Teal'c "It's a long story..."
                      * Sam's comment about the shield and Jack's response.
                      * Sha're/Amounet looking directly at Daniel, but not giving him away.
                      * The fact that Daniel doesn't just say 'fine' when Jack asks him if he's okay, but says he isn't, but will be. Just adore that moment.

Great episode all round.

Albion
                      Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Really good episode. Heru'ur and Apophis appearances are excellent. I also like the Horus guards. They look much better than the serpent guards.

Comment

Originally posted by Albion
                          * Jack's 'Was thinking about it" and throwing the knife. I just love the totally natural way he snaps free the knife before doing that. Like it's something he's been doing his whole life. Never get tired watching him do that so smoothly.
                          Did Sky show a cut version of this? I'll have to check my DVD version, but (this happens dead quick, I know) it looks like Jack draws his knife, chucks it - and it just suddenly appears in the middle of Heru'ur's palm. It wasn't shown reaching its target - either in flight or arriving. OK, I guess it was inevitable, as they were showing it at teatime, but it still bugs me when that happens.

Mind you, I'd like to know how they fix it so that the Serpent and Horus guards can see out of their helmets. Given that the actual eyes are usually way above the Jaffa's heads and the 'neck' of the mask is covering their faces, how do they know which way they're going, and why don't we see more of them having a Star Wars Stormtrooper accident?
                          sigpic

Comment

i just saw this episode yersterday and Daniel's wife had lipstic on. i thought they didn't have lipstick in abathos

Comment

The ancient Egyptians wore make-up, so the Abydosians probably had it too.

Madeleine

Comment

Apart from putting a bit of colour on the face, it also protected delicate skin from the sun - hence the thick eye makeup (if you're going to spread gunk on your face, you might as well make it look tidy!). I don't imagine the Egyptians back then were any more welcoming of crow's feet than we are today. I know I'm not welcoming mine. Bah, being an Unas, they're more like trenches than crows feet...

Mind you, given its practical purpose, pretty much everyone wore it - even if it was just a mixture of dark ash and olive-oil. To all intents and purposes, it's probable that all the Abydonian women would have had some form of makeup, even if it was just the basic mixes. Ammonet, naturally, would have had much more spectacular stuff (as we saw when she rejoined Apophis at the end).
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X