No announcement yet.

Family (208)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like this one. Its offers further explanation that was started in Bloodlines. It further develops how much Teal'c loves his family. I even believed Fro'tac was on our side. He probably was until he felt betrayed. I always wondered why Jack didn't zat the serpent guard 3 times to avoid detection. That makes more tactile sense.

I don't have a problem for discovering what Apophis trap was. I do have an issue for the ease of rescuing Ry'ac from brainwashing. A zat blast is too easy of a solution for me
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
      I'll stick with my earlier comment that Drey'ac is an unsung hero who put up with a lot of crap and doesn't get enough credit.

Normally I really love Teal'c but I do not like him at all in this episode. He was selfish and egocentric. No matter how just his cause, he had no right to expect Drey'ac and Ry'ac to make all of the sacrifices for it, and without even giving them a say in the matter. Nor did he have any right to speak to her with such condescension and rudeness. She showed an amazing amount of fortitude and ingenuity in the face of impossibly difficult circumstances. He abandoned them and left them as outcasts and a target of his greatest enemy.

His actions toward Drey'ac, Fro'tak and later in regaurd to Ry'ac were all motivated by his injured pride. And it really steamed me how the writers tried to throw it all back on Drey'ac by having her say it was her fault because she didn't really love Fro'tak and she made vows she couldn't keep. I'm not saying that the other characters didn't make mistakes, but Teal'c was never forced to account for his own choices.

And then the way he snipped against Jack because he was wary of what Apophis had planned in regard to Ry'ac. Teal'c's conviction that his son was too strong to be overcome, and his absolute unwillingness to concede even the possibility of danger because of his own over blown ego! Teal'c was way out of line.
      I don't think that the writers were trying to make us feel Drey'ac was responsible (at least that wasn't my take) but that she felt guilty for the predicament that Fro'tak had to deal with on account of her situation. I took it as just her guilt and remorse at how things had gone down so unfortunately for both of them as, even if she didn't love Fro'tak, she most likely cared a great deal for him and was grateful for his generosity and protection of both her and her son who was not his own at the very least. How would any person feel given her situation and what had transpired?

I do agree that Teal'c was overwhelmingly bull headed and let his emotions for his family take over his common sense. I don't know that he was being egocentric so much as he was wounded and felt rejected by his wife given what he had abruptly found out. The woman he had been in love with for years, and to whom he thought he was still married, gets an annulment without him knowing and all of a sudden is married to one of his oldest friends; he reacted the way you would expect someone who still had feelings to behave. You don't just accept a thing like that and move on. The situation was not unlike what took place in 'Secrets' after Daniel finds out his wife has been impregnated by Aphophis and goes on to mope outside and feel sorry for himself. Both guys take time and a bit of talking to before they can collect themselves and deal with the situation at hand. Both are exhibiting 'human' reactions, and those are not always pretty.

The circumstances under which Teal'c finds his family seem like a lot of consequences and accounting for the decisions he's made: Drey'ac having to marry another man to take care of her child and herself properly, replacing him with a new head of household, his son being brainwashed by his enemy to hate him and love Apophis, his son being turned into a literal weapon against him and his friends. So, I don't think that the writers let his character off the hook in any way while punishing Drey'ac exclusively or crucifying or her character.

Comment

I've read some comments about this Drey'ac being ugly, and all I can say is that people who say that have no eyes. She has gorgeous bones. They dress her well in this episode, too.

That said, not one of my favorites. Teal'c's blindness to the faults of his son are irritating.

Seaboe
        If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

This was an okay episode. What really bothered me was Teal'c believing that Ryac fought his brainwashing by Apophis or the fact that he escaped Apophis all on his own.
          My favorite TV shows

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Seaboe Muffinchucker View Post
            I've read some comments about this Drey'ac being ugly, and all I can say is that people who say that have no eyes. She has gorgeous bones.
            Madness. Don't put her in front of a mirror, it'll break. Couldn't act worth a damn either. Ryac's acting was pretty awful in this one too, but at least that's forgiveable because he was only a kid when they made this one.

Fortunately this one was followed by Secrets.
            "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Another Sunday afternoon...another SG1 ep to catch up on.

1. Was good to see Chulak again and catch up with Ry'ac.

2. Watching S2 in order for the first time...our first real Jaffa revenge thing.

3. Fro'tac you fool...did you not for one second suspect that Drey'auc didn't have feelings for you? Even I wouldn't have been that dumb, I certainly wouldn't have been that arrogant given the circumstances. A rare triple zat and a well earned one.

4. Yes, Jack was on his A-game here.

5. Whole thing with the teeth did feel a bit rushed.

Still a solid ep though.
              I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt G View Post
                3. Fro'tac you fool...did you not for one second suspect that Drey'auc didn't have feelings for you?
                I'm not that sure he cared too much.. I don't think women get much of a say in Jaffa society anyway...
                "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
                "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
                "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
                "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

sigpic
                >-- Czechs Rock! >--

Comment

If he didn't care then why did he stab our guys in the back when he saw Teal'c and Drey'auc smooching. Women may well be second class citizens in Jaffa society but did he seriously not think it was a possibility that Teal'c and Drey'auc in the same room could be...interesting?

He was clearly offended by what happened and therefore probably unprepared to an extent.
                  I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

In many ways, the episode served its purpose. It closed the dangling plot thread of tealc's family being in danger, and potentially set teal'c up for a happy ending reunion (didn't happen of course, but i bet had the show ended with season 3 or so it could have)

ryac was a brat, but he was supposed to be. Teal'c was a bit too blind in his faith in his son....guess it was to show his weakness. Jack was great as the dissenting voice of reason...and I also picked up from Sam and Daniel a 'teal'c we want to believe you but dude lose those rose colored glasses huh? cause the person that gets killed will be us' vibe.
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Matt G View Post
                      If he didn't care then why did he stab our guys in the back when he saw Teal'c and Drey'auc smooching. Women may well be second class citizens in Jaffa society but did he seriously not think it was a possibility that Teal'c and Drey'auc in the same room could be...interesting?

He was clearly offended by what happened and therefore probably unprepared to an extent.
                      It could have been a Jaffa honor-thing. After all, Fro'tak was presumably a well-respected member on Chulak and (semi-?)loyal to Apophis, yet he risked a lot of that by marrying Drey'auc, either because he thought she was hot or because of an old friendship between him and Teal'c and he wanted to support them by taking care of his family while Teal'c fought to liberate the Jaffa. By betraying him, Drey'auc made a fool of him and he had a lot to lose. Not only the respect of the people of Chulak, but also his position in Apophis' army/clergy/admin (whatever the silver tattoo stands for) and the only way to prove his loyalty (and usefulness) to Apophis was to betray Teal'c. And perhaps he (had started to) cared for Drey'auc too and felt hurt and foolish, which could have angered him further and in the heat of the moment he made a stupid decision...
                      Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
                      Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
                      On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

I thought this was ok episode. I liked seeing Chulak again and finding out what was going on with Teal'c's family. I didn't like the new Dray'auc, I preferred the way the other actress played the character.
                        sigpic

Comment

I found this episode okay. Was pretty much ruined by the ending though. One Zat shot and everthing is A-Okay....
                          http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/4574/dontblinkgc5.jpg

Comment

Felt kinda bad for Teal'c.
                            Good episode, exciting and interesting.

Comment

One of those angsty episodes, especially for Teal'c. There's not much you can do to hurt him unless you go after someone he loves. Then you better look out...

And maybe I'm a sap, but I was in tears when Drey'auc starts singing to Ryac.
                              The whole bit of the boy being so brainwashed was heartbreaking.

The plotline was fairly simple, but it's a good character profile episode for Teal'c and his family.
                              "Y'know; Lose it. It means, go crazy. Nuts. Insane. Bonzo. No Longer in posession of one's faculties. Three fries short of a Happy Meal. WHACKO!!!!!"

The perfect couple!

Comment

a pretty "meh" ep for me - but it's always nice seeing Bra'tac.
                                In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X