Thor's Chariot (206)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Noxbait View Post
    I always kinda wondered if maybe part of the reason Sam wasn't carrying around a ribbon device as a weapon all the time was because she was still kind of disturbed and uncomfortable with the whole Jolinar issue. (Of course having a healing device always on hand would have been helpful). At least this is how I explain it in my mind....
    I agree. I think Sam is really disturbed by her ability to use the goa'uld tech. Every time she uses the hand device she looks like she's going to be sick afterwards. And she never really mastered the healing device. She couldn't get it to work at all hear and when she healed Cronos it took some effort and some coaching. When she tried it on Daniel it seemed to make things worse.

I would think that neither would be very useful in the field. The hand device really only works one on one in close quarters. It made sense in Seth because they were in narrow tunnels and surround by innocents. You couldn't just pull out a P-90 and start firing. But I think they would rarely be in a similar situation. And with the trouble she had using the healing device I don't think they would often be in a position with one of them hurt where they could stop and wait for Sam to work out how to use it and hope that it didn't cause more harm than good.

It's an interesting ability that added another layer to her character, but I can see why it didn't come up that often.

Comment

Originally posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post
      No, Mark Gibbon plays the hologram Viking version of Thor in both this episode and 'Thor's Hammer'. Michael Shanks did the voice of the Asgard alien Thor in every appearance from beginning to end.
      It's just that the voice didn't sound like the way Michael Shanks did it for subsequent appearances for Thor to me. I presumed that this guy did the voice for Thor in his actual form too since he was doing the hologram. Michael Shanks is always credited for the voice of 'puppet' Thor in subsequent appearances, but not on this occasion.

I stand corrected.

Comment

For someone who is so smart Sam sure seems to struggle with basic geometry

Joking aside this is one of my favorite episodes. It has action in Teal'c and Jack fighting Her'ur although Her'ur was always a little too generic for me. Their was no personality that stood him apart from other Goa'uld. Just the standard I am a God rhetoric.

It also has a puzzle which I come to like in SG1. Jack and Tealc are the brawn with Sam and Daniel being the brain. I just like seeing this one as they try to solve mind games to meet the real Thor. Its just an enjoyable episode overall even if the conclusion is a litte deus ex machina.

Its also funny Thor calling us too young considering how soon they start treating us like equals
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

Sam has a strong will. I can't imagine her letting any discomfort stop her from mastering the healing device. Not when she knows it could save a teammate from death some day. She cares too much about the others to squander an ability like that. I can understand not making the ribbon device a regular part of her character, but the healing device is a different matter. It's absence still puzzles me.

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Freyr View Post
            Sam has a strong will. I can't imagine her letting any discomfort stop her from mastering the healing device. Not when she knows it could save a teammate from death some day. She cares too much about the others to squander an ability like that. I can understand not making the ribbon device a regular part of her character, but the healing device is a different matter. It's absence still puzzles me.
            It seemed to take a lot of willpower, energy and focus from her while using it on Cronus and Daniel later on. Perhaps that is one of the reasons for not using it too often, as they couldn't afford her to be distracted and exhausted (and emotionally drained) when healing a teammate in the midst of battle. Not to mention that it is the only piece of alien technology with healing capabilities the USAF managed to bring back through the gate. It's possible that the higher ups wanted it to be studied and reverse-engineered instead of giving it to the one person on Earth who could use it and possibly lose it offworld (either by capture, having to desert their stuff or losing it in battle).
            Unmade Plans (WIP: 11/20):
            Sam's life takes a turn in an unexpected direction when she's faced with an unplanned pregnancy. The decision to keep the baby and raise it on her own will alter her life forever. Relationships are put to the test, especially the one between her and Jack. She doesn't know what to expect from him and he surprises her at every turn.
            On FFnet or AO3

My S/J fics can be found on FFnet and AO3. I also tweet and tumble about the ship and my writing/stories.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
              For someone who is so smart Sam sure seems to struggle with basic geometry

Joking aside this is one of my favorite episodes. It has action in Teal'c and Jack fighting Her'ur although Her'ur was always a little too generic for me. Their was no personality that stood him apart from other Goa'uld. Just the standard I am a God rhetoric.

It also has a puzzle which I come to like in SG1. Jack and Tealc are the brawn with Sam and Daniel being the brain. I just like seeing this one as they try to solve mind games to meet the real Thor. Its just an enjoyable episode overall even if the conclusion is a litte deus ex machina.

Its also funny Thor calling us too young considering how soon they start treating us like equals
              That was funny to hear in retrospect.

I suppose the Asgard at that point hadn't done much follow up on humans and only when they came across Jack in 'The Fifth Race' began to look at them again. I guess they didn't really treat humans as equals as such, but more of taking a chance on what they believed the human race was capable of eventually when they decided to do something in desperation to prevent the loss of their knowledge for ever.

Comment

Great episode, I really liked Her'ur as a villian. Wished they had fleshed him out a bit more. He seemed more of a warrior then the other System Lords.

Though When Jack and Teal'c ambush Her'ur and his guards when he's torturing the local, I think they should have shot Her'ur first and dealt with the guards later. That would have eleminated Her'ur much faster.

Comment

Good episode we got to see Thor and Sam learns that she can use Goa'uld technology.
                  My favorite TV shows

sigpic

Comment

Another Sunday afternoon...another SG1 ep to catch up on...

1. Of course I knew about this ep and even from an S4 perspective it was good to see Cimmeria again.

2. Of course, seeing Thor for real the "first time" so made Mum and I laugh.

3. I did like Jack and Teal'c's Viking ally.

4. Heru'ur didn't have much of an option 'but' to bail through the Gate(something I'd forgotten about), he clearly hadn't expected the Asgard to show up again after the hammer got toasted.

5. As for why the hammer wasn't working at 'all'...maybe the two parts of it were connected, that or the Jaffa were simply beamed into the mountain and escaped to cause havoc.

Good ep.
                    I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

The discovery that Sam can use Golu'ld.

The floor disappearing in the Hall of Thor's Might--Daniel and Gairwyn overcoming their fear.
                      ...and the Vikings--I love Vikings!

Comment

Originally posted by Matt G View Post
                        5. As for why the hammer wasn't working at 'all'...maybe the two parts of it were connected, that or the Jaffa were simply beamed into the mountain and escaped to cause havoc.
                        Or maybe the Jaffa blew it to pieces as soon as it started to power up (before it had time to transport anyone). It wasn't exactly subtle.

Seaboe
                        If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

I watched this ep a couple times several years ago. Didn't come back to it until last week, but this time after having seen SGA. Therefore didn't realize until last week that Thor's massive-beaming-away-of-things makes a sound like a bunch of darts. Presumably not relevant to anything whatsoever, but just needed to get that off my chest.

P.S. Skimmed the first few pages of this thread... impressed by all the people who can read the runes...

Comment

Originally posted by syncline View Post
                            I watched this ep a couple times several years ago. Didn't come back to it until last week, but this time after having seen SGA. Therefore didn't realize until last week that Thor's massive-beaming-away-of-things makes a sound like a bunch of darts. Presumably not relevant to anything whatsoever, but just needed to get that off my chest.

P.S. Skimmed the first few pages of this thread... impressed by all the people who can read the runes...
                            I noticed the same thing with the beaming scene! At first I kept thinking I'd heard that sound before and it finally clicked near the end.

I also thought this was a great episode. We returned to Cimmeria after finding out that freeing Teal'c caused big trouble to the people of the planet. I laughed after the guys said why they were at fault and had to go back, with Sam adding "and...I was there". Finally we get to meet the real Asgard, and who would have thought they would become one of our greatest allies. Thor being depicted as a Roswell Grey allowed their storyline to connect to Earth (with all their visits to see how far we have advanced). I also liked how they continued the Sam/Jolinar thread with her being able to use the ribbon device.

*favorite quote by Teal'c "Things will not calm down Daniel Jackson. In Fact, they will calm up" LMAO

Comment

I love the episodes about Thor since i'm Norwegian ( I kinda feel attached )
                              And the extreme pownage from Asgard is just incredible epic!

Comment

This was the ep. where they got the hand device and healing device, from the grave of Kendra. I had wondered where they got them, and rewatched it. I hadn't realized.

Comment

Working...
                                X