No announcement yet.

Thor's Chariot (206)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great episode, and a worthy sequel to Thor's Hammer (is this the first pure sequel episode the show did? I'm trying to remember). I love the Norse mythology stuff and the sequence with the task/riddle (this sort of thing is always my favourite plot device for Stargate to use, and they were few and far between. Atlantis' 'The Brotherhood' is another good example). Since it was so long ago, I can't remember my initial reaction to discovering that the Asgard were Roswell Greys, and nowadays I just immediately associate them with Stargate.

I'd forgotten all about Heru-Ur! And I love that we see the Horus guard uniforms again for the first time since the movie, they look so much better than the ridiculous snake heads of Apophis. It was poor edit for the moment where Heru-Ur removes his helmet, a very abrupt jump cut that just didn't look at all natural, but I can imagine it would have been very expensive to show at this point. We still get a lovely effect of the floor falling away in Thor's hall. Thor himself doesn't look that great, and the Asgard mothership is a little iffy but still impressive. Another very abrupt fade out to end of the episode, though.

- The first half of the episode is a bit slow, the scenes of Jack and Teal'c running from Jaffa really seem to go on a bit too long. I liked Olaf though and his brilliantly over-the-top delivery of lines. "Now we are matched!" was almost worthy of Zapp Brannigan.

- Daniel states quite clearly here that he has a fear of heights. For some reason, I remember this being contradicted in a later episode and a big discussion happening around it, but I can't for the life of me remember how that all came about.

- This episode gave us our first demonstration that Sam can now use Goa'uld tech, but I don't know why I have so little memory of this being followed up in any serious way. Was it just eventually dropped/forgotten, because I'm sure it was not mentioned much beyond season 5 onwards? Certainly when I think of Sam in SG Atlantis I don't think, "oh well of course she can use Goa'uld tech."

I don't believe we'll be revisiting Cimmeria again in the show, and that's a shame as it was an interesting place to be. We'll certainly see a lot more of Thor, of course.

RATING: 8 out of 10
    Private guitar tuition | Return To Grace - rock/pop party band

Comment

I love that the writers brought the team back to Cimmeria. I wish they also would have returned there a few more times throughout this series.

I was sad that they had Kendra killed off. It would have been interesting to have her back occasionally as a resource of information against the Goa'uld. And of course, Tamsim Kelsey as Gairwin was wonderful again here too. I loved the beginning where they were running from the Jaffa through the woods, and Sam, Daniel & Gairwin were hiding, waiting to attack, then Gairwin unsheaths the sword from her back in preparation for attack. I would have loved seeing her in an actual battle. She & Sam together would have made a kick-butt team.

I love the irony of Sam easily being able to use the Goa'uld 'weapon', but not having the same result with the healing device. Yes, it's much easier to hurt than it is to heal.

Two scenes stand out for me in this episode:
      1- the beginning where Hammond is playing "devil's advocate" and asking SG1 whether they should actually get involved, and all of the team admitting their part in creating this fiasco on Cimmeria to begin with - including Sam's "and I...was there."
      2- 3.14159. It's Pi! LOL I love when they put in the tiny math references that kick-start Sam towards a fruitful conclusion when the answer had been eluding them. I only wish Jack had been in that scene so we could have had the funny "It's Pi!" -- "Pie?" -- "not pie. Pi!" discussion. (Although if I remember correctly, there was a good fanfic that covered that quite nicely!)

Olaf reminded me of the big guy in the pilot episode, one of the Chulak refugees, who was throwing stones at the Jaffa & whacked one out cold with a great throw. I love Olaf's amazement at Jack & Teal'c when they set off the explosives & shot the Jaffa. "Thunder! And fire! You do possess Thor's might."

Oh, and we can't forget Thor. The "real" Thor. Looking back on this episode, I don't think we could have envisioned how big a part Thor would play throughout the rest of this series. (I think he's my overall favorite guest star!)

On that note, I also loved seeing (& hearing) Mark Gibbon as the hologram Thor. I'm glad they brought Mark back later on as more of a "conventional" recurring character. Being in radio, I have an affinity for great voices that resonate.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post
        - This episode gave us our first demonstration that Sam can now use Goa'uld tech, but I don't know why I have so little memory of this being followed up in any serious way. Was it just eventually dropped/forgotten, because I'm sure it was not mentioned much beyond season 5 onwards? Certainly when I think of Sam in SG Atlantis I don't think, "oh well of course she can use Goa'uld tech."
        She tried to use a healing device in meridian, and a few other eps. used one of the ribbon devices in Seth.. and one other time iirc.

Comment

I only think this episode is OK. It's not one I'd pop in if I had an hour to spare.

Cool meeting the Asgard for the first time. Jack seemed almost jealous that he didn't get to meet Thor. (Don't worry, Jack. Thor will always like you best. Just give it time. )

Would have preferred for Kendra to stick around. It would have been nice to see the change in dynamic between her and Sam now that Sam has experienced what it's like to be an unwilling host. I think we missed out on some great scenes between them and I do feel a little cheated.

Edit: Just looked back at my earlier comments. Seems I enjoyed this one more with fewer viewings.

Comment

My LiveJournal post

I love this quote:
            Teal'c: The destruction of the hammer device to save my life may have caused this. If so, I am responsible.
            Jack: General, I gave the order.
            Daniel: And I fired the staff at the machine.
            Sam: And...I was there...

"Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
            "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
            "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
            "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

sigpic
            >-- Czechs Rock! >--

Comment

Originally posted by Jae'a View Post
              My LiveJournal post

I love this quote:
              Teal'c: The destruction of the hammer device to save my life may have caused this. If so, I am responsible.
              Jack: General, I gave the order.
              Daniel: And I fired the staff at the machine.
              Sam: And...I was there...

Me too! Always makes me laugh. This is the Stargate I love, a great balance of adventure, bit of danger and best of all the mystery and the discovery. They don't have a quick answer, they are making the best of it as they go along. I guess this is where Thor first learned about how far Earth had advanced, although not as much as they'd like to think they have.

Always a nice sit down and enjoy episode from the early days for me, when the people of Earth were just stepping out into the galaxy, still saving the day without all the high tec stuff that comes later.

Comment

Pretty good episode. We finally met the real Thor. And saw the Bilskirnir for the first.

It's kind of weird to hear the real Thor without Shanks voicing him.

Tomorrow, Jack get stabbed by an alien orb.
                sigpic

Comment

I'm pretty sure Michael Shanks voiced Thor in this episode.

Comment

As the series continues, I find I have less to say. The writing, acting, and (nominally) production values are all improved compared to season one. Heh, I guess there are fewer flaws to discuss.

Meeting Thor for the first time, and seeing an Asgard ship, rescue Thor's Chariot from being an otherwise medicore episode. Wow, I love them both. In contrast to an earlier poster, I've always been quite happy with the Asgard robo-dolls, and the mouth movements have been accurate enough to avoid drawing my attention to them.

Sam's newfound ability to use Goa'uld technology is a big deal, or at least you'd expect it to be. The two hand devices should have been added to Sam's backpack for most missions. The healing device, at the very least. It seems strange to give her this powerful ability and then (mostly) ignore it for the rest of the series.

Spoiler:
                    She does use the healing device on Chronus, and also kills Seth with a ribbon device. Maybe she uses a device one or two other times.

Really, an SG team would exploit any advantage they have, and this one's a doozy (doosy? doozie?)

Comment

Originally posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post
                      I'm pretty sure Michael Shanks voiced Thor in this episode.
                      It wasn't for this first appearance, Thor was listed as Mark Gibbon in the end credits.

Comment

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
                        It wasn't for this first appearance, Thor was listed as Mark Gibbon in the end credits.
                        Mark Gibbon was the person portraying "hologram" Thor.
                        sigpic

Comment

This was the first episode of Stargate that I ever saw, and i was hooked immediately. Everything that Stargate was about, at least in the early years, is in this episode: traveling to other planets, fighting the Goa'uld, and meeting alien races. This ep also had first appearances by Thor and Heru'ur, and the return to Cimmeria helped maintain the show's continuity. I also enjoy seeing Daniel in his element, trying to decipher ancient mysteries, since he doesn't get to do that a whole lot on the show. And the appearance of Thor's chariot at the end has stayed with me since i first saw the episode. This has long been one of Stargate's early high points in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
                            No, Mark Gibbon plays the hologram Viking version of Thor in both this episode and 'Thor's Hammer'. Michael Shanks did the voice of the Asgard alien Thor in every appearance from beginning to end.

Comment

Quite a good ep. The best part by far was seeing the beliskner.

Heru'ur sounds like a girly name. Sorry Heru'ur.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Brother Freyr View Post
                                Sam's newfound ability to use Goa'uld technology is a big deal, or at least you'd expect it to be. The two hand devices should have been added to Sam's backpack for most missions. The healing device, at the very least. It seems strange to give her this powerful ability and then (mostly) ignore it for the rest of the series.

Spoiler:
                                She does use the healing device on Chronus, and also kills Seth with a ribbon device. Maybe she uses a device one or two other times.

Really, an SG team would exploit any advantage they have, and this one's a doozy (doosy? doozie?)
                                I always kinda wondered if maybe part of the reason Sam wasn't carrying around a ribbon device as a weapon all the time was because she was still kind of disturbed and uncomfortable with the whole Jolinar issue. (Of course having a healing device always on hand would have been helpful). At least this is how I explain it in my mind....
                                Enjoying the Stargate Re-Watch Event: "This should not get old, General!"

Noxbait's Fan Fiction

Comment

Working...
                                X