The Gamekeeper (204)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My LiveJournal post

To be honest, I can't say I completely disagree with the Keeper in some ways. I'd be tempted to keep everyone 'locked up' to stop them destroying the planet myself...
    Of course I obviously agree that it wasn't right to have Jack and Daniel repeating those moments just for his and the other residents' entertainment though...
    "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
    "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
    "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
    "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

sigpic
    >-- Czechs Rock! >--

Comment

Strangely enough this turned out to be an episode I didn't like as much with this rewatch as I did the first time I saw it.

I liked the idea of the virtual reality and how the team eventually realised what was happening. The scene with Jack checking if Hammond was real or not has got to be the highlight, that was still just as funny!

I agree Dwight Shultz really overdid it with the Gamekeeper character, as if his 'A Team' character had gone even more nuts!

The place where it was filmed is worth visiting if anyone is taking a trip to Vancouver. The conservatory has lots of birds, including parrots, one is very entertaining, loves having its photo taken, I swear it poses for you!!! LOL!

It was almost closed down due to lack of funding last year, luckily something was worked out and it was saved. The garden and the view of the city and the mountains are lovely too!!!

http://vancouver.ca/parks/parks/bloedel/

http://vancouver.ca/parks/parks/quee...beth/index.htm

Comment

Whats to say about this one. Really slow paced episode, and kind of boring episode.

See ya tomorrow.
        sigpic

Comment

I agree with Krisz. This episode is less enjoyable for me with each rewatch.

We really don't get anything new in the backstory of Daniel and Jack. We already knew Daniel's parents had died (from the movie) and how they died doesn't really add much to my understanding of the character. We also already knew that Jack is haunted by is his special ops past. And the mission he had to relived didn't really seem that remarkable. I would have much preferred to see something like his imprisonment in Iraq (giving even more impact to his confrontation with Cromwell later in A Matter of Time), or perhaps his parachuting accident over Iran. Or better yet, what about something involving Jack's parents/family/childhood?! We never learn anything about that (except he was raised in Minnesota). The whole team could have been there. That would have been cool.

I do like that we become allies with these people and we revisit the tech in some much better episodes.

I've been watching the original Star Trek through from the beginning and this episode reminded me a little of "Shore Leave." It was a similar concept in that the Enterprise crew found themselves on a planet where what ever they remembered or imagined would come to life. As cheesy and low tech as the show was (come on 1960s here!), I think I found McCoy chasing the White Rabbit more entertaining.

Comment

I really enjoyed this ep! The Keeper added a nice sense of comedy, and the back stories add some depth to Daniel (mostly) and Jack (not as much). I loved the scene when Jack is checking to see if General Hammond is the keeper.

Comment

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
              The place where it was filmed is worth visiting if anyone is taking a trip to Vancouver. The conservatory has lots of birds, including parrots, one is very entertaining, loves having its photo taken, I swear it poses for you!!! LOL!

It was almost closed down due to lack of funding last year, luckily something was worked out and it was saved. The garden and the view of the city and the mountains are lovely too!!!

http://vancouver.ca/parks/parks/bloedel/

http://vancouver.ca/parks/parks/quee...beth/index.htm
              Is this the same location that season 7's 'Revisions' was filmed? The gardens look very similar.
              Private guitar tuition | Return To Grace - rock/pop party band

Comment

Originally posted by LeftHandedGuitarist View Post
                Is this the same location that season 7's 'Revisions' was filmed? The gardens look very similar.
                No, that was filmed in Fantasy Garden World.

It is no more unfortunately, demolished last year. Revisions Revised.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fantasy_Gardens

Comment

That is just a bad episode all around. It was interesting the first time seeing something personal about Jack and Daniel but after it was just dull seeing the same thing over and over. And when the Keeper returned them to SGC it was so predictible that something. Its such a shame since Dwight Schultz is a fantastic actor
                  Originally posted by aretood2
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

Another ep that I like for some strange reason this time over. I find it interesting.

Gamekeeper: First the flowers! Next the entire PLANET!
                    sigpic

Comment

Most of this episode I just really wanted to punch the Keeper in the face.
                      My favorite TV shows

sigpic

Comment

I like the Keeper. But then I also like Harlan, Tonane, Urgo, Martin Lloyd, Felger, and Joe Spencer. (I even like Lucius Lavin.) I guess I have a thing for annoying men.

Comment

Easter 2000. Family was off on holiday to Spain. For two weeks. Slap bang in the middle of Sky 1 showing me S2 for the first time. Of course a VHS didnt have room for ten SG1 eps on it so I sort of wrote it off and spoiled myself by reading summaries of the eps I missed.

Fastforward a few months...I had already seen the back end of S2, the whole of S3 and was watching S4 on Sky 1...and 'then' Channel 4 start screening S2 on Sunday afternoons. So I decide to fill in the gaps...which got a bit wierd. This is actually going to be the first time I've watched SG1 S2 in full, in order.

1. Jack makes enquiries about whether they could have time travelled...given that I'd already seen 1969 by the time I watched this...it was a bit of a chuckle.

2. Of course I already knew about the VR and what Jack and Daniel had to deal with but couldn't remember hearing about the virtual SGC.

3. Virtual-Hammond was a bit of a farce though.

An OK ep but certainly not the greatest.
                          Last edited by Matt G; 22 September 2011, 03:32 AM.
                          I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

(sorry, forgot to quote Hlndncr:
                            I like the Keeper. But then I also like Harlan, Tonane, Urgo, Martin Lloyd, Felger, and Joe Spencer. (I even like Lucius Lavin.) I guess I have a thing for annoying men.
                            )

I don't care for Felger, but I'm with you on the others, even though they're annoying.

If they'd become regular characters (I know, I know, Martin shows up 3 times), I might not have found them so endearing.

Seaboe
                            If you're going to allow yourself to be offended by a cat, you might as well just pack it in -- Steven Brust

Comment

Originally posted by hlndncr View Post
                              LOL, I had no problem with all, except Lucius Lavin and Urgo. I just could not abide them as characters, those episodes with them are going to be hard for me to rewatch as I'm going to watch every episode regardless of my feelings of them, see if I get surprised by noticing something other than the annoying guest characters. Martin Lloyd's annoying factor went too far in '200', I was fed up with him by then.

Comment

This is one of my favorite episodes. The "big" question I see is about the nature of reality. If you can't tell the difference between virtual reality and "real" reality--what is real?

I found the back stories for Daniel and Jack to be very interesting. Living the experience with them may not contribute more to our knowledge of the facts, but we do learn more about the "character" traits of both Jack and Daniel as they react to a difficult episods in their lives. Jack is more stoic, and Daniel is emotionally ripped apart.

I enjoyed the scene in the virtual SGC. Jack checking General Hammond out is priceless!

Comment

Working...
                                X