No announcement yet.

The Serpent's Lair (201)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I remember thinking when I first watched this episode, of how fantastic it was! It was really worth waiting expectantly for as I went through what seemed like the endless void between the new seasons!!!

Well paced action, Jack's and Bra'tac's military minds complementing eachother to make their first mission together successful. The first look we get too as to what the Jaffa think of Tau'ri weaponry, only to be shown later that nothing that can kill and destroy things effectively should be thought of as primitive!!!

One of my favourite scenes in Stargate, where they are floating in the disabled gliders above the Earth and marvelling at the beauty of their planet Jack and Sam see from orbit for the first time. Also the shuttle coming into view, it rescued them. I loved this episode for all these great uses of present day technology that helped to save the day!

I couldn't help thinking as I watched that scene again and how far Earth had come since this beginning and comparing it to the scene of Eli seeing Earth from orbit for the first time and standing on one of Earth's own ships, the development of which started with those two gliders from this episode.

Comment

A fantastic episode, and I agree Krisz, the scene with them in orbit was the best of the episode. And I loved how Samuels was shot down by General Hammond.

One thing that I wondered was why did they send the shuttle up in the first place? Hammond mentions the shuttle being prepped before the motherships were destroyed.

Comment

Originally posted by SG3Marine View Post
        A fantastic episode, and I agree Krisz, the scene with them in orbit was the best of the episode. And I loved how Samuels was shot down by General Hammond.

One thing that I wondered was why did they send the shuttle up in the first place? Hammond mentions the shuttle being prepped before the motherships were destroyed.
        Hammond wanted to get some more information about what was happening, why the two ships were getting closer together. I guess he decided the shuttle was the best way of doing it, to get a closer view.

Comment

There are those who will disagree, but I think that this was SG-1's finest hour. It was the first time that they showed everyone, especially the Goa'uld, just what they were capable of as a team. And they went on to knock off one or two Goa'uld a year!

Comment

A great episode that's for sure. It always makes me happy seeing Goa'uld, zat guns and the original SG-1 team working together. Sorry Cam you're just no Jack.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lieutenant Sparrow View Post
              Sorry Cam you're just no Jack.
              Don't think he was trying to be... Cam is Cam, and Jack is Jack.
              "Thanks to denial, I'm immortal."
              "A big 'Hello' to all intelligent life out there, and for everyone else, the secret is to bang the rocks together, guys!"
              "Excuse me, barmaid? You seem to have brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms, extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fishbone!"
              "I'm Jack. It means... what's in the box?"

sigpic
              >-- Czechs Rock! >--

Comment

Originally posted by SG1Member View Post
                There are those who will disagree, but I think that this was SG-1's finest hour. It was the first time that they showed everyone, especially the Goa'uld, just what they were capable of as a team. And they went on to knock off one or two Goa'uld a year!
                Finest hour in the beginning.. Yes. Finest overall.. not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Jae'a View Post
                  Don't think he was trying to be... Cam is Cam, and Jack is Jack.
                  I didn't mean personality wise. I meant he isn't as good as Jack.
                  sigpic

Comment

A worthy successor to the season finale. In fact I like the season premiere more then the finale. With Bra'tac's help it seems SG1 has a plan instead of wandering the ship. I also like how Bra'tac is still a little arrogant. Miss that as the show goes on. And the nice thing is that its not just action of trying to blow up the Hataks (which is fun in their own regards) but their is some nice character interaction. I especially like the end scene where SG1 comes into the Gate room as heroes.
                    Originally posted by aretood2
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by Krisz View Post
                      Hammond wanted to get some more information about what was happening, why the two ships were getting closer together. I guess he decided the shuttle was the best way of doing it, to get a closer view.
                      But the Goa'uld would have just shot it down.

Comment

Originally posted by SG3Marine View Post
                        But the Goa'uld would have just shot it down.
                        That is a possibility but they needed intel. Thats a risk military personel take when they try to gather intelligence
                        Originally posted by aretood2
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

Has anyone ever counted the number of times that Daniel is presumed dead throughout the series. It must have become a running joke for the people involved with creating the show.

I watched 201 last month along with season one and typed up some memorable quotes:

Samuels: From space, we should appear to be a vulnerable and unsuspecting world.
                          Hammond: Got 'em just where you want them, do you, Samuels?

Bra'tac: Perhaps when the ships of your world attack, we will be able to--
                          Carter: Uh, did you say the ships of our world?
                          Bra'tac: Surely you have such vessels.
                          Daniel: Well, we have number of...of...
                          Daniel & O'Neill together: ... shuttles
                          Bra'tac: These "shut-tells," they are a formidable craft?
                          O'Neill: Oh, yeah. Ya.

Bra'tac: Have you more of this 4-c?
                          Carter: No
                          Daniel: Well you guys must have something left?
                          Bra'tac: We shall have to cross that bridge when we come to it.
                          LOL

Samuels: Well Sir, since I am no longer wanted or needed here, I respectfully request permission to join one of the teams headed to the Alpha site.
                          Hammond: -Permission denied. The idea is to send the best and brightest, Colonel.
                          YEAH! And that was the last of Samuels.

Bra'tac: The shield generators are far below. There, in the very bowels of the ship. We must climb down several decks, through the length of the ship. Then taking our weapons we must-
                          O'Neill: [drops two hand grenades, destroying the shields]

O'Neill: I think what the captain is asking is, "What now?"
                          Bra'tac: Now we die.
                          O'Neill: Well that's a bad plan.

O'Neill to Daniel: Space monkey

Comment

I love how SG-1 comes together in this episode. In particular, how Jack is confronted with Daniel's sense ofthe mission.

In the scene where Jack has determined that they are going to blow up the ship:
                            Jack (to Carter): Stand by to detonate your charges on my order.
                            Carter: Yes sir
                            Daniel: Wait…
                            Jack: Daniel, if we don’t stop them now, we may never stop them.
                            Daniel: I know that, let’s just make as big a dent as possible. OK?
                            Jack nods his head
                            Jack didn't expect this kind of reply from Daniel.

Also, this scene from later in the epsiode, when Daniel is wounded:
                            Jack: Daniel, Damn it…
                            Daniel: I’m dead any way, just get out of here.
                            Jack: I’m not leaving you here, Daniel
                            Daniel: get out of here! You’re just going to blow up with the other ship. What difference does it make? Go—just go! I’ll stay and watch your back!
                            Jack places his hand on Daniel’s cheek.

In both of these scenes, Daniel is altering Jack's perception of how he fits into the team.

Also, Jack's repetitation of "it's a bad day" which changes into "not a bad day after all" is priceless!

Comment

Originally posted by Nut_ty View Post
                              In both of these scenes, Daniel is altering Jack's perception of how he fits into the team.
                              Good assessment, Nut_ty. Thanks for pointing those out.

Comment

So...even as I finished watching S1 on Channel 4 I was pretty sure I wouldn't be watching any more SG1 on 'that' channel. I now had Sky 1 and I'd heard rumours that they were 'rerunning' episodes that I had yet to see. Every afternoon at 5pm. Showtime. Starting with the conclusion of the awesome TBC from the end of S1...

1. Was not expecting Bra'tac to show up.

2. Liked the exchange between Jack and Bra'tac...exchanging ideas...some of the more primitive ideas working.

3. Bra'tac seriously overestimated Earth's capabilities.

4. "Now we die". "Well that's a bad plan".

5. And we see SG1 save the world, and even rewatching that applause reminded me how big a deal it was.

Great way to start the new season.
                                I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Working...
                                X