Unending (1020)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by John W View Post
    There's something else worth mentioning. If you haven't seen the Season 4 Atlantis story, "Midway", don't read the following:

Spoiler:
    Teal'c gets briefly fed-upon by a Wraith. So I'm guessing he's lost even more years and is therefore even older.
    Oh good point! I wonder what the average life span for a jaffa is...
    Spoiler:
    Thank you, Sir.
    For what?
    For being here for me.
    Always.

Indeed.
    You say that a lot.
    What?
    "Indeed".
    Do I?
    Yeah.
    I had not noticed.

I love you. I have loved you for a long time....

I didn't leave because I'd rather die myself than lose Carter.... because I care about her. A lot more than I'm supposed to.

Comment

Originally posted by Gretchen View Post
      Oh good point! I wonder what the average life span for a jaffa is...
      Bra'tac would of been ~140 by the end of SG1's run, if Teal'c was +50 years after Unending I'd say he was ~80 by now, so probably taking that and Bra'tac into concideration the average Jaffa lifespan would be ~180 with maybe the odd one living to 200+

Comment

Originally posted by Trig View Post
        Bra'tac would of been ~140 by the end of SG1's run, if Teal'c was +50 years after Unending I'd say he was ~80 by now, so probably taking that and Bra'tac into concideration the average Jaffa lifespan would be ~180 with maybe the odd one living to 200+
        No. Teal'c was like 105 or something in the first season.
        Meh.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack_Bauer View Post
          No. Teal'c was like 105 or something in the first season.
          [QUOTE]
          TEAL'C
          I see. On my home world of Chulak we do not celebrate the anniversary of one's birth.
          LORAN
          No presents?
          TEAL'C
          It is a day like any other.
          LORAN
          Well, how do you know how old you are?
          TEAL'C
          I am one hundred and one years of age.

LORAN
          You don't look that old.
          TEAL'C
          So I have been told.
          Since this took place in S4, Teal'c is approximatly 107 at the beginning of Unending.
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

^^^ there we go then! thanks
            Meh.

Comment

Some people age differently.
              sigpic
              Stargate Destiny - Coming Again Soon

Comment

So Teal'c is actually older than Bra'tac then due to the +50 years being stuck in Unending..

Comment

Seriously they've been killed by bad writing!

First time Asgards apeared in 5th race ep, where O'Neill with anciens knowlegde in his head contacted them. At that time asgards already knew their problem about cloning, so instead of instant removing ancient knowlegde from O'Neills head they could use it for a while, because O'Neill was not going to die soon.

2nd time when O'Neill was pickup by thor and asked to make Anti-Repli weapon. It does not took so long, and O'Neill had full acces to Thors ship computers where he could find information about Asgards cloning problem and solve that.
                  Remember that he designed totaly new weapon from 0 to full scale in just matter of seconds, so I dont think that it would take too long to make corrections in asgard cloning process. And dont forget more 1 thing, that anciens was good at seeding life and stuff like that.

3rd time: In the ep where Neirty(SP?) had her hands on ancients DNA changing machine. That machine were able to make some increadible changes, but Neirty(SP?) was bad at it! So asgard probably could solved their problem with this machine too.

4th time: When daniel downloaded merlins knowlegde and later got Ori too. He had enough free time to contact asgards get needed stuff, fix their problem!

So in my opinion asgards were killed by bad story and script writers
                  The cake is a lie...

Comment

Originally posted by Arwis View Post

First time Asgards apeared in 5th race ep, where O'Neill with anciens knowlegde in his head contacted them. At that time asgards already knew their problem about cloning, so instead of instant removing ancient knowlegde from O'Neills head they could use it for a while, because O'Neill was not going to die soon.

2nd time when O'Neill was pickup by thor and asked to make Anti-Repli weapon. It does not took so long, and O'Neill had full acces to Thors ship computers where he could find information about Asgards cloning problem and solve that.
                    Remember that he designed totaly new weapon from 0 to full scale in just matter of seconds, so I dont think that it would take too long to make corrections in asgard cloning process. And dont forget more 1 thing, that anciens was good at seeding life and stuff like that.

3rd time: In the ep where Neirty(SP?) had her hands on ancients DNA changing machine. That machine were able to make some increadible changes, but Neirty(SP?) was bad at it! So asgard probably could solved their problem with this machine too.

4th time: When daniel downloaded merlins knowlegde and later got Ori too. He had enough free time to contact asgards get needed stuff, fix their problem!

Anytime the writers resort to mass suicide for a shock and awe value it's bad writing.

The asgard were doing fine and then...boom...they're toast. I would say there is no excuse but bad writing and not from previous eps. Just bad writing from season 9 and 10.
                    Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Originally posted by Jackie View Post
                      Anytime the writers resort to mass suicide for a shock and awe value it's bad writing.

The asgard were doing fine and then...boom...they're toast. I would say there is no excuse but bad writing and not from previous eps. Just bad writing from season 9 and 10.
                      Agree with you.

First of all after long war with replicators asgards can relax, they rebuilded their whole civilzation on new planet they dont have to fear anymore so they could spent all their time on solving cloning problem and when sudenly screw everything lets kill our selfs. WTF? This does not make any sence.

And I think why asgards were killed by writers is because they have been loved very much, and for the end of SG series they needed smth epic, so they went in shortest way, killed most favorite race in franchise....
                      The cake is a lie...

Comment

It would hardly been an easy matter for oneill to pour through all the research the asgard had in regards to there biological situation and whip up a solution, not to mention they would have had to go back to the homeworld for the information because its highly unlikely that that informantion would be on board thors ship.
                        The ancient knowledge wasnt geared toward the Asgards biological evolution, there's no reason to believe a solution would have been at hand so readily. They weren't all knowing, the ancients that is. Biology is messy. The ancient clearly had dealt with technology similar to the replicators. There is also no reason to believe that there in fact was a solution to the asgards problems, the small progress the lost tribe made or not.
                        And Daniel had enough on his plate dealing with his situation with the Ori and Adria.
                        It simply wasnt bad writting as you call it that killed them. Its not an uncommon situation in science fiction to have a tragic race like the Asgard.

Comment

for the end of SG series they needed smth epic, so they went in shortest way, killed most favorite race in franchise....
                          Yep...... I personally think the Asgards part has been played down so much, they could have been so much more, I think TPTB where trying for a noble death of a noble race, but it came across as a last minute **** fest!!! (pardon the french)

There was a million in one ways the Asgard could have solved there problem, but i think the writers kept using it as an excuess as to why the Asgard could not help us out, then after the repli war was over....bye bye Asgard!!!
                          A Proud Supporter of "Fan-Slash-Fiction" Since 1998

sigpic

Comment

If the Ancient repository of knowledge was placed on a number of worlds after the return from Pegasus, should the ability to create new humanoid life not be as common as building a computer. Remember the Ancients seeded two galaxies that we know of (pegasus and Milky Way) so the information should fairly easy to access (remembering that O'Neill was able to build a weapon that could disrupt connections between Replicator blocks fairly quickly). So if there was a record of the Asgard genetic problems on Thor's ship he could probably put them on the right track fairly quickly (even if it wasn't solving the problem completely). He also had the knowledge of the Ancient physiology, and I'm sure they could have handled an Asgard mind.

Note: I know O'Neill was on a time limit but I'm just looking for excuses to be angry at the Writers for killing of one of the greatest races in the Stargate series.

Comment

As has been said on this page the Asgard were a noble and I think a very giving and peaceful race.
                              Loki was an exception to the others amongst his people as he thought the ends (experimenting on Humans that are similar genetically to what his people used to resemble thousands of generations back before their cloning processes had made it impossible for natural breading) justified the means and we already know
                              Spoiler:
                              from The Lost Tribe that at least a stop gap measure solution to their problem was found by committing unfavorable experiments on Humans, in this case the ones in the Pegasus galaxy.
                              Which was not permitted by the Asgard high council and the Ancients would have stopped the Lost Tribe had they not been fighting the Wraith at this time and eventually left the Pegasus galaxy.

Had the Ancients had any solutions to the Asgard's genetic problems I'm sure that they would have helped them, given that the technologies we're talking about were not designed for military applications, general knowledge of this kind was probably shared freely amongst the Alliance members.
                              Even if the Asgard felt proud and embarrassed to ask their allies for help, Heimdall was pretty quick to tell SG1 that they were all clones and were no longer able reproduce through natural means, so I think it's pretty silly to assume that they didn't ask their friends for help especially after they had known each other for many thousands of years.

As silly as it may sound I did feel pretty sad when I saw Unending and found out that the Asgard would be no more, but this epic moment gave them the ability to pass the torch onto us and make the Human race the Fifth Race.
                              I don't think it's bad writing, to me it's a moment in the wonderfully epic story of Stargate, some bits are going to make people feel sad.

Comment

Originally posted by Arwis View Post

First time Asgards apeared in 5th race ep, where O'Neill with anciens knowlegde in his head contacted them. At that time asgards already knew their problem about cloning, so instead of instant removing ancient knowlegde from O'Neills head they could use it for a while, because O'Neill was not going to die soon. The problem was not thought up yet. They don't plan that far ahade. Like, SGA wasn't planned for when they found the second gate.

Again, it had nothing to do with the plot. At the time, they weren't about to die from the problem.

3rd time: In the ep where Neirty(SP?) had her hands on ancients DNA changing machine. That machine were able to make some increadible changes, but Neirty(SP?) was bad at it! So asgard probably could solved their problem with this machine too. True, only thing I agree with you on.

No, all the time he had Merlin's brain in him he was with the Ori, so no time to contact them.

my thoughts

Go Green

Comment

Working...
                                X