Family Ties (1018)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

any vala/daniel interaction
    Not really anything shippy, however, I don't really ship them so maybe I'm not seeing it, but they were hardly together in this ep. Although there was one scen in Daniel's lab where he's being a good friend and talking to her about going to see her father.

Cam is on a date ?
    Is it with the chick from "Bounty" Amy something ?
    We don't get to find out who he's on a date with.

<snip>
    Last edited by Skydiver; 27 February 2007, 04:10 PM.

(Credit to RepliCartertje for the beautiful sig and to Mala for smilies.)

Comment

Okay, character development 101. Lesson the First:

If someone changes, write them differently, don't have them say "I've changed"

Apparently the standards over on the SG1 crew have slipped so far now that they have lost track of this episode. Sure Daniel's shoot first ask questions never action was out of nowhere and out of character, but it was at least a little better written than Vala's supposed growth.

As for her father, another example of cliche sleazebag who can't be trusted, thats two on the SG's in one year, how original.

The Landry story was crap, another attempt to force *air quotes* character moments, down our throats. Terrible writing once again from TPTB.

The moment with Sam and Vala ticked me off, Sam was in uniform, and therefore likely still on duty, so should she really be drinking on the job, or have the SGC let things go.

Teal'c's final scene was just terrible, it was a cheap laugh just showing the schoolboy level of humor TPTB like these days, what ever happened to the smart gags of old? It was also clearly a nod to AT performing on the vagina monologues, which leads me to the next point, aren't in jokes meant to be subtle? Two at least in this ep, blatantly obvious, just worthy.

The only saving grace was the acting talents of CB, who is wasted on this crap, as is the rest of the cast. With episodes like this, the cancellation of SG1 is right on cue IMO

1/10
      Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
      - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Originally posted by The Signal View Post
        Okay, character development 101. Lesson the First:

If someone changes, write them differently, don't have them say "I've changed"

Apparently the standards over on the SG1 crew have slipped so far now that they have lost track of this episode. Sure Daniel's shoot first ask questions never action was out of nowhere and out of character, but it was at least a little better written than Vala's supposed growth.

As for her father, another example of cliche sleazebag who can't be trusted, thats two on the SG's in one year, how original.

The Landry story was crap, another attempt to force *air quotes* character moments, down our throats. Terrible writing once again from TPTB.

The moment with Sam and Vala ticked me off, Sam was in uniform, and therefore likely still on duty, so should she really be drinking on the job, or have the SGC let things go.

Teal'c's final scene was just terrible, it was a cheap laugh just showing the schoolboy level of humor TPTB like these days, what ever happened to the smart gags of old? It was also clearly a nod to AT performing on the vagina monologues, which leads me to the next point, aren't in jokes meant to be subtle? Two at least in this ep, blatantly obvious, just worthy.

The only saving grace was the acting talents of CB, who is wasted on this crap, as is the rest of the cast. With episodes like this, the cancellation of SG1 is right on cue IMO

1/10

Well said

Comment

The ending was so funny!

When Sam said that Teal'c got tickets...I was like...oh...no...because I knew what was coming up!
          Janna Galaxy, Queen of The Gods
          The Strongest Will Survive!
          I'll Be The One To Save Us All!

Comment

The episode was so-so...Vala's dad was annoying but everything else was okay.

But ten years of SG1 was worth it just to see Teal'c at the Vaginal Monologues
            sigpic
            Part 2 coming very soon!! (this is a fic btw, not the Fandemonium novel)

Comment

It was an ok ep, i thought the ending funny. i would give it 5/10.

Comment

About half-way through Janec mentions having tickets for "The Virginia Dialogues or something". I assumed that was as close as they'd be allowed to get, but found it amusing anyway. I didn't realise it was a signpost for the ending. Are they going to be able to show that bit in the States? Best use of the Sod It clause since the final Max Headroom.

Yes, it was predictable, but that's usually the case in the last few series. The days when the writers understood the Stargate world better than most of the audience and could bring in logical but unexpected twists has gone. So now we enjoy it for different reasons, mainly the interaction of the characters. And on that front, there were some good scenes tonight, though I could have done without Landry's scenes - resolution of a non-existent plotline.

I for one am willing to forgive the writers a lot for the sake of the last scene, which will stay with me for quite a while.

Comment

Again it was a pathetic episode.

The end of the episode was very funny, but it seems like the ending is suddenly adding 5+ points to peoples /10 rating.

A funny ending doesn't make up for 40 minutes of absolute rubbish. The worst episode of SG-1 I've ever seen.

If THAt was the ending of the Landry/Lam "storyline" (and I say "storyline" because all we've had in two years is: dad not being a good dad. Lam is an annoying ***** to her dad. The most typical and predictable storyline in the world. Funnily enough that lame plotline can also be applied to Vala/her dad). Anyway if THAT was the resolution... Landry having dinner with his ex... this series has gotten worse than I thought.

Comment

0/10

Garbage.

Again.

Comment

Overall I did like the episode, there were some great interactions. Loved the Sam/Vala development. My hubby loved the first 30 seconds, Oh and Siler made me lmao.
                      I agree with thewatcher , it was a predictable storyline, but there were some funny scenes and I enjoyed it.

Oh and as for Teal'c and Vaginal Monologue, that has to be the funniest SG scene ever.

Comment

Pros:

1. It's been a while since Sam socialized with someone with the same sex. Very interesting that she did it with Vala.
                        2. Insight in Vala's childhood.
                        3. Teal'c priceless.

Only one CON:

Why on Earth do we need 5 episodes to find out what happens with the Ori?

Comment

the landry stuff was just there to wrap up a story line so i'll forgive that as hopefully it means we wont get any useless story in the movies, let's just hope the last 2 episodes are a hell of alot stronger..

the thing I find funny about alot of the complaints though is the seemingly "who cares" attitude about what sg-1 does when there not saving the galaxy etc.. fans actually asked for more charecter stuff and I found it nice to see Vala/Sam interacting in that way.. i found the few standalone eps a nice change of pace, but not for a show in it's last few eps, I know it was cancelled late into the writing etc.. so don't complain to me over it.. I would have liked a few more ori storylines is all.
                          sigpic

Comment

No that was not probably their ultimate plan for the ending of that particular story line they probably planned on getting it resolve in season 11, but we do not have that season anymore.

Through I have not seen the episode. I will see it just like I have seen every episode of Star trek, I am determine to see every episode of Stargate, the bad the ugly and the damn right good.

And just from hearing it on here if landry and his wife interactions seemed forced then how it should of been if it was in real life.

Also people seem to of forgotten it most likely all but closing scenes and any re shooting of scenes would all that would of been done after the cancellation they probably did not have the time or the budget to redo entire episodes and storylines.

I suspect if we were to be given a season 11 we would seen these story tide in the overall storyline.

<snip>

all you need to do is post your opinion once.

Now i Just have to wait until saturday before I cane see it.
                            Last edited by Skydiver; 27 February 2007, 04:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Integrabyte View Post
                              Pros:

1. It's been a while since Sam socialized with someone with the same sex. Very interesting that she did it with Vala.
                              3. Teal'c priceless.

Only one CON:

Another few cons:

- boring
                              - predictable
                              - cringe-worthy
                              - pointless
                              - bad acting
                              - a waste of the last 3 episodes
                              - more bad acting from the actor who plays Mitchell.

Comment

Originally posted by Integrabyte View Post
                                Pros:

3. Teal'c priceless.

Only one CON:

Ok I understand your viewpoint but remember folks only Dominion and Unending were not even written at the time of cancellation. Everything else was either in post or pre production and couldnt redo/rewrite. They all planned on a season 11 and while I would have loved more Ori stories I have loved the standalones and it seems like I'll love this one too. All I hope for is a good resolution in the Movie.
                                Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                                "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                                Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Working...
                                X