No announcement yet.

Line In The Sand (1012)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know abit late but watched this episode last night, this was a good episode like the interations with the team, what is wrong with Vala, does she fancy Teal'c or something as she is always jumping on him.
    sigpicIf The Simpsons ever get on Stargate

Comment

Something I've noticed is that the show gains a fresh quality when Daniel is absent. First with Insiders, and now with LitS, the team come into their own. There's something about Daniel's character these days which depresses the show, imo. He is so different from his earlier self that he no longer serves an episode. Instead plots become plodding apparently to accomodate him - yet another obscure word to translate, or the Ori arc dominated by his has-been ascension gig. It's all been there done that...

When Daniel is gone, Vala becomes a viable, interesting character in her own right, with things to say and do that are pertinent to her and her skills/experience. The team interact on a level which is fresh and complimentary, playing to each other's strengths to forward the action. The Ori story is about people and ethics and challenges and physical peril. Plot and action and character have room to take on a natural dynamic. It's just better.
      scarimor

Comment

Originally posted by jonno View Post

Cam - not being reckless - you can tell he and Carter have become good friends. I thouroughly believed that that was how both characters would react in that situation.
        I got the impression from 'Avalon' that Cam and Sam had a history at least(if not a friendship) that possibly predated the events of 'Lost City'
        Last edited by Matt G; 20 January 2007, 01:53 PM. Reason: Clarification)
        I SURF FOR THE FREEDOM!

Comment

Originally posted by scarimor View Post
          Something I've noticed is that the show gains a fresh quality when Daniel is absent. First with Insiders, and now with LitS, the team come into their own. There's something about Daniel's character these days which depresses the show, imo. He is so different from his earlier self that he no longer serves an episode. Instead plots become plodding apparently to accomodate him - yet another obscure word to translate, or the Ori arc dominated by his has-been ascension gig. It's all been there done that...

When Daniel is gone, Vala becomes a viable, interesting character in her own right, with things to say and do that are pertinent to her and her skills/experience. The team interact on a level which is fresh and complimentary, playing to each other's strengths to forward the action. The Ori story is about people and ethics and challenges and physical peril. Plot and action and character have room to take on a natural dynamic. It's just better.
          I agree, especially about Vala.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt G View Post
            I got the impression from 'Avalon' that Cam and Sam had a history at least(if not a friendship) that possibly predated the events of 'Lost City'
            True. I had forgotten that.

And yeah - without Daniel, Vala gains dimensions. There is a correlation - i've started to like her more recently, as she interacts with Daniel less, and the rest of the team more. In fact - in term of Team dynamics, LinS was probably the best since season 7, the last of the classoc team days.

In fact ... i'm losing a lot of interest in the Daniel Jackson character ... i wouldn't mind if he went missing permanently. Whereas at the start of the season, i would have gladly called for a messy death for Vala,in oh so many ways
            I'm not Weird, I'm Gifted!

Comment

And yeah - without Daniel, Vala gains dimensions. There is a correlation - i've started to like her more recently, as she interacts with Daniel less, and the rest of the team more. In fact - in term of Team dynamics, LinS was probably the best since season 7, the last of the classoc team days.
              Gee, I don't see it that way at all. I'm very glad Vala is bonding with the rest of the team, but she has a lot more depth when she's with Daniel. She's more often just playful and naughty with the others, as she was in this ep. With Daniel she shows true empathy and commitment to their cause. Of course, when Daniel is around the subject matter tends to be darker and more mythic, too. And I prefer that.

I had to chock all her cheerfulness up to her needing to keep herself busy doing something good with Daniel missing. Otherwise it seemed out of character to me that she would be so happy after being crushed just last week (or however long ago Daniel was taken in their timeline).

I thought this was a very good ep, probably the best Daniel-less one I've seen since Paradise Lost in S6! It's very hard to play "injured" and AT did a pretty good job of it. I loved Thilana and Matar -- very well played. And Mitchell was a great nurse to Carter. Great team feeling there for sure. But no way would I want this to be the permanent team. I'm just biding time until The Shroud.
              Last edited by Michelle05; 20 January 2007, 07:58 PM.

Comment

True. I had forgotten that.

In fact ... i'm losing a lot of interest in the Daniel Jackson character ... i wouldn't mind if he went missing permanently. Whereas at the start of the season, i would have gladly called for a messy death for Vala,in oh so many ways
                I always liked Vala and love her interaction with the team and Daniel. I have noticed that Vala has changed and I am liking her better. I though am hoping she gets together with Daniel. I have always loved Daniel and would hate it if he left. I too have noticed that the team dynamics have cahnged and I like that. I also liked how there was tension at the begining of season 9 and loved how they are all finally becoming a family like before.
                Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by scarimor View Post

I really like Daniel/Michael Shank, but I have to agree with Scari. Another excellent episode without Daniel that I liked very much was Uninvited. Vala seems to act silly next to Daniel, but great without him around.

Comment

Originally posted by jz9 View Post
                    I really like Daniel/Michael Shank, but I have to agree with Scari. Another excellent episode without Daniel that I liked very much was Uninvited. Vala seems to act silly next to Daniel, but great without him around.
                    I agree she does act different around him than witout and I too loved Uninvited, however I am a maor D/V shipper and still love vala with Daniel.
                    Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                    "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                    Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Colonel Eriksen View Post
                      what will happen to Tomin I hope he join the fight against the ori
                      He should be commended cuz he fullfilled the story from the book of Ori. He sent her back to a big empty hole that was a village the Ori destroyed for taking her back.... but we know the village stayed the Prior does not nor the Ori....

So maybe.... Tomin as a Prior? Be hell of a twist!

Comment

Originally posted by Michelle05 View Post
                        Gee, I don't see it that way at all. I'm very glad Vala is bonding with the rest of the team, but she has a lot more depth when she's with Daniel. She's more often just playful and naughty with the others, as she was in this ep. With Daniel she shows true empathy and commitment to their cause. Of course, when Daniel is around the subject matter tends to be darker and more mythic, too. And I prefer that.

I had to chock all her cheerfulness up to her needing to keep herself busy doing something good with Daniel missing. Otherwise it seemed out of character to me that she would be so happy after being crushed just last week (or however long ago Daniel was taken in their timeline).

I thought this was a very good ep, probably the best Daniel-less one I've seen since Paradise Lost in S6! It's very hard to play "injured" and AT did a pretty good job of it. I loved Thilana and Matar -- very well played. And Mitchell was a great nurse to Carter. Great team feeling there for sure. But no way would I want this to be the permanent team. I'm just biding time until The Shroud.
                        The thing is she wasn't bonding with the team either iun this episode. She didn't get her extra depth from being around Cameron or Sam or Teal'\c - because she hardly was (as for the playfulness with Sam, that already appeared in Quest part 1). She gained her depth from her interaction with Tomin.
                        I think she gets something more everytime they allow her to not be just playful. It doesn't corrolate with Daniel at all - thre are times she's around Daniel adn she's serious, like Counterstrike, Powers that Be and Quest 2. There are times when she's around Daniel and she's not - Pegasus Project, Quest 1. Therea re times she's with the team and playful - I dind't see any added depth in Insiders or Uninvited, TBH. And there are times she gets depth when she's alone, like Crusade and Line in the Sand.
                        It\'s not about who she's written with, I think, but with what purpose in mind.
                        Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                        Yes, I am!
                        sigpic
                        Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                        Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                        Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

very good episode, season 10.5 is very good so far

was good to see the administrator prior again, he was as despicable as ever
                          liked the doubt that tomin had, and his conflict with the prior, hope to see them again.

Comment

Living in the States, and having just seen Line in the Sand, I have this to say... I thought Sam looked constipated when she got hurt. I liked the Vala scenes and Teal'c scenes(loved the supporting actress with Teal'c), really missed Daniel ALOT!! But, when did Sam get so girly-wimpy, all that talk about death and dying, she just seemed.............constipated.

Comment

wow this episode was a eye opener origin doesnt teach vengeance but forgiveness .....

i loved the tomin/prior interaction.

Amanda was amazing in this episode it's about time she got hurt!!

Comment

Originally posted by Adria View Post
                                wow this episode was a eye opener origin doesnt teach vengeance but forgiveness .....
                                I don't think that there is anything wrong per se with Origin, the religion or the book. I think what the show is trying to say is that it is the interpretation of the religion that is the problem.

Forgiveness was part of the religion from the beginning -- if you consider the words of the Prior who was preaching to Daniel and Vala for over an hour in Celestis. He talked about a story in the Book which said that there was a guy who strayed, but was repentent, so he was forgiven and welcomed back in the fold.

Perhaps Origin was the original religion of the combined Altera/Ori society established by their own ancestors. I mean, perhaps there was a group who came before them.

Robert C. Cooper tends to provide a lot of background information and intention in his expositional writing -- the dialogue for a character is often prophetic in nature (relative to the show's storyline). Although RCC's name isn't on this particular episode's script, I feel that he had a major influence for how Origin, the Priors, and the followers are to be depicted.

I think it all comes back to what Daniel said to the Doci in "Origin". Daniel seemed convinced after reading the Book of Origin in Celestis and after talking with the Doci that the religion itself came first and that the Ori have twisted and misinterpreted it.

Comment

Working...
                                X