No announcement yet.

The Quest, Part 1 (1010)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loved this episode! 10/10. Loved seeig the whole team together + Baal + Adria.

Comment

Well, after watching "The Quest, Part 1" again, I once again must state what an awesome mid-season finale I thought it was. It was great on so many levels - character interaction, teamwork, story, visuals, etc. Overall, I just loved the whole episode. And after seeing the slight spoiler for Part 2 on AOL's extras site, I'm really excited. This wait for March is going to be a real killer.
      sigpic
      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
      "...phu...ah..."
      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I enjoyed The Quest, Part 1, and wish the next ep was a week away, instead of a half-year away!!!

I also firmly believe that if TPTB had handled the command issue between Sam and Mitchell in S9 the way they're handling it this year, SG-1 would be planning for S11, instead of being cancelled. Ditto with the integration of Vala into the storyline. If they had only listened to the fans sooner!!!

The show has improved tremendously in the first half of this season. The only place they're still failing is in their ability to use RDA well in his guest appearances. They're writing him as a caricature of Jack O'Neill, instead of as Jack O'Neill. It's a waste of his time, and I find it as frustrating as I found the leadership issue and the marginalization of the three remaining leads last year. Of course, the badly-written Jack issue is on my mind this week because of RDA's SGA appearance, but TPTB is TPTB.

TPTB also still need to happily resolve the Sam/Jack Ship, and I'm going to really resent it if they don't. Yes, I have issues. We all do. Don't shoot me. It's just MHO, and I'm sticking to it!

Comment

Originally posted by sg-1fanintn
          I enjoyed The Quest, Part 1, and wish the next ep was a week away, instead of a half-year away!!!
          Trust me, my friend, you're not alone. This 6 month wait for the second half of this season is going to suck for a whole lot of us.
          sigpic
          "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man
            Trust me, my friend, you're not alone. This 6 month wait for the second half of this season is going to suck for a whole lot of us.
            *cough*Season 9 set*cough*
            sigpic
            "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
            DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man
              I agree it will suck but what sucks worse is some of this useless griping but oh well in one ear.... This was a great ep and I will be paitently waiting and chatting with you fine folks.
              Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
              "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
              Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Uhh. Ok. Here we go:

Things I liked:

• The Actors performances. Once more unto the breach they go. The character beats made the episode worth watching, both in terms of the scripted moments and the ones they seemed to put in themselves -
                • Teal'c holding up Cameron in Daniel's lab. He so knows Daniel and now he's getting Cam.
                • Vala hitting on Sam - ok, I know I'm imposing my interpretation just a tad , but she has got to hit on Sam some more please
                  Spoiler:

• Adria threatening Sam, and Daniel's rapid and vehement defence, followed by Sam's reaction to Adria targeting her. That was team and I sure hope it's a foretaste of an Adria-Sam encounter somewhere down the line.
                • Vala's "Muscles" line to Teal'c.
                • Sam's "Get a room!"
                • Sam in the leadership role sits very comfortably with this team.
                • The tavern woman - what a great cameo! The actress brought so much more than "stock villager" to her role. Anyone know her name?
                • The directing wasn't bad - he injected some pace into what was, on the face of it, a very ploddy script.

Things I didn't like:
                • The unbearable predictability of this arc. Dear lord, could it be any more obvious? Plod, plod, no surprises, plod, another non-surprise, plod, oh look - another trite thing we saw coming six lightyears months ago -

• A crap "dragon". The last monster-cgi I saw was the giant devil in Dr Who, so perhaps I've been spoiled, but still, that jerky lizard was shameful.
                • Most of the writing. Gah! When Daniel was repeating the 'virtues we gallant adventurers must use in pursuit of this knightly quest' for the, what - fifth time? - I almost lost the will to live.
                Last edited by scarimor; 24 September 2006, 03:31 AM.
                scarimor

Comment

Useless griping? If there's useless griping, does that mean there's another type of griping that's useful? *ponders* Griping! Go scrub the toilet! Make yourself useful!

Lazy, good for nothing griping.
                  I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

An average ep for me, some good things, some bad things.

Good things:

Daniel - Nice to see him almost back to his old self and not the OTT snarkiness and comedy act we saw in company of thieves. A very good episode for him.
                    Daniel and Vala not joined at the hip - Nice to see them both interacting with the others more.
                    Teal'c stopping Mitchell when he wanted to hear what Daniel had to say.
                    Sam's "get a room" line to Adria and Ba'al, now I'm waiting for people to start shipping those two

Wasn't sure about Ba'al's knife and him saying it had sentimental value. I don't think it was the same knife he used to torture Jack with, not sure if that was meant to be implied but I couldn't help wondering if that's what Daniel was thinking.....

Bad things:

The ending with the dragon - just felt lame to me.
                    The slowness of the plot - I'm not a fan of the whole dungeons and dragons fantasy thing, and much of this felt predictable.
                    And yes I agree with the overuse of the village set and the crystal skull thing.
                    Vala - She seems to have become a comedy act. They could have managed quiet easily without her being there, and the hairdryer - that was just silly.

Overall I'd say 5/10

Thanks to Kidwizz for sig

Comment

Im not going to go into great detail on this. The plot, to me, was one of the better ones this season. The writing was far better than it has been this season, Teal'c had some great lines, as did Baal and even Adria, who still comes off as very child like, which i kind of enjoy, as it gives her some, if not much, depth of character. Mitchell seemed like an idiot once again "thats quitter talk" Having Vala once again be the genious of the show for the second week running, first the crystals of the hyperdrive, now this. The cliffhanger to me seemed weak, and I won't even go into my issues with the dragon. That said, with the setup we now have, and the vignette with the preview for the next ep, I look forward to Part 2. Sadly, however, this ep doesnt warrent anything higher than a

5 out of 10.
                      Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
                      - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Originally posted by grasshopper64
                        Wasn't sure about Ba'al's knife and him saying it had sentimental value. I don't think it was the same knife he used to torture Jack with, not sure if that was meant to be implied but I couldn't help wondering if that's what Daniel was thinking.....

My take on that is, if it's not the same knife as from Abyss, Ba'al was just making an excuse for why he didn't give it up in the first place.

I may just have imagined this, but in the first scene, when Daniel turns down the dinner invite, and Mitchell starts to leave, is Teal'c smirking? That adds something, that he's not only asking about Daniel's search because he's interested, but he knows Mitchell really wants to leave so he's having some fun by getting Daniel started and forcing Mitchell to stay.
                        Last edited by Dani347; 24 September 2006, 09:31 AM.
                        I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Great all round ep. I didnt pick Adria in her disguise so that was a surprise. Nice to see the team work well together. Also nice to see some of the Ori soldiers close up again. Cant wait for part 2.

Is it March yet?
                          Science Fiction is an existential metaphor; it allows us to tell stories about the human condition.

Isaac Asimov once said individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.

[/QUOTE]

SENFORUMS.com

Comment

This series just gets better and better. How can they fend of the dragon?
                            Director/Editor/Writer

Comment

Originally posted by stewsith
                              How can they fend of the dragon?
                              Feed it Adria.

She's not had time to lose her virginity.
                              scarimor

Comment

Originally posted by scarimor
                                Feed it Adria.

She's not had time to lose her virginity.
                                LOL! That would be kind of funny, but I'm ready to see her go yet.

As for your other part, I'm guessing she'd go for either Daniel or Ba'al if given the chance.
                                sigpic
                                "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Working...
                                X