Company of Thieves (1009)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Descent
    I was merely pointing something out to you, I was debating. Man, this place has become so hostile these days...
    Debate is one thing. Telling me that I'm making too much of a big deal out of something because something bothers me (regardless of whether it bothers you) and I comment on it is something else.

And, hostile? I've been places that would make this seem like a teddy bears picnic.
    I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Originally posted by Dani347
      You're making a big deal out of the apparent big deal I'm making of the episode. The fact that my reaction to the episode is worth a post that is entirely about my reaction to the episode seems to be overkill.

And, I didn't take an oath that I would only react to things if I could consistantly react the same way in each episode. I reserve the right to hate one thing in an episode and absolutely love the same thing in another. And, to like when one character does something, and get annoyed when another character does it. It may not be fair, but I'm okay with that.

Uh, you don't need to be a writer to critique writing. Or else, why have an audience? Might as well only let writers read books or watch tv shows/movies/plays. But, I'd be happy to send a link to my fanfic if it somehow makes me more qualified to express my opinions on the show.
      Sorry, but I don't allow myself to get sucked into arguments anymore. You are right, one does not need to be a writer to critique someone's writing, however, not all critiques are equal, are they? As for your Fanfic, I would seriously love to read it. I have been pleasantly surprised by the caliber of many fanfics I've read.

As a "budding" author, I may be a tad sensitive....if I offended anyone, mea culpa, and I apologize. Hmmm, if we are supposed to express our feelings....why am I being made to feel I committed a faux pas? Oh well, have a great evening....need to get back to packing.
      On fighting:
      Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
      Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82
        Well it seems the majority loved the episode and thats music to my ears. I hated how many people bashed Memento Mori as I thought it was great and really showcased Claudia's acting ability as "Lifeboat" showcased Michael's. I loved this episode. I was shocked and saddened at Emersons death as I really liked him but I loved everything about this ep. I am so sick and tired of everyone picking apart not seeing the gate in every ep and the Paring of Mticheel/Teal'c and Vala/Daniel. I love those pairings and feel they mesh so well together. I really love this ep and I can't wait for Quest part 1 and Return part 1. The only thing is th ****ing 6 month hiatus! DAMN YOU SCIFI! KISS MY MICKTA!

Get out the wet noodles and get ready to spank me. Why, why, why do people get upset when others don't like episodes? If you love the pairings, why isn't it enough to simply say you love the pairings, and not go on about the fact that others don't? I don't see any reason, when I'm objecting to them constantly pairing up the same people, to add "and I'm so sick of those people who love seeing Daniel and Vala together, and Mitchell and Teal'c" or "I want to see more of the Gate, and I wish those people who like seeing space ships would shut up about how great they are."

Does it really bother people so freaking much that others might have a totally different reaction than they do to a freaking tv show?

Yeah, I know. I said I was going to be good. *bends over for well deserved paddling* (just not too hard, since I said that for the last episode, not this one)

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Comment

Debate is one thing. Telling me that I'm making too much of a big deal out of something because something bothers me (regardless of whether it bothers you) and I comment on it is something else.

And, hostile? I've been places that would make this seem like a teddy bears picnic.
          So my opinion on your opinion isn't debating?

And yes, hostile. Seems everything posted these days is met with some sort of hostility. Very sad considering this should be a place where people are supposed to have fun.
          sigpic
          "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
          DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

Originally posted by Descent

And yes, hostile. Seems everything posted these days is met with some sort of hostility.
            You're absolutely right. For example, someone says "I didn't like such and such a thing in such an such an episode." A comment like that is met with responses such as "I'm so sick of people bashing the episode, and it doesn't bother me that so and so did this, so why on earth would it bother you, and you shouldn't say it, and let me tell you how wrong and silly you are to even mention it, because having a problem with the episode, especially if it's something that I don't find to be a problem is so wrong and bad and how do you live with yourself? Bad fan! Bad! No biscuits for you!"

Comment

Originally posted by golfbooy
              Danala
              First, again, great post. But, for this little bit, let me let out a hearty *snort* And, now, please stick out your tongue. No, farther. Now, bite down hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Seastallion
                Actually, that only makes it MORE realistic. Things in space rarely come to a 'complete' (relatively speaking) stop in space. Also the Odyssey actually has retro-thrusters you can see on the underbelly to slow, stop, or reverse thrust the ship. Something as large as the Odyssey isn't just going to stop on a dime. .
                Yes it should if they have retro thrusters, there is no inertia. Of course if they don't ahve retro thrusters they can't stop they have to swing. But not this slowdown, which looked rather bad.

Comment

I didn't like this ep much, not as bad as memento mori, but still too many things wrong with it for me.

Firstly at times I felt like hitting Daniel (and I mean that in the nicest way)
                  His snarkiness was way OTT, did he take a mega dose of caffeine or something. I think he misses Jack.....

As has been mentioned I am getting bored with the continual pairing up of Daniel and Vala, wasn't so bad this ep. but it's like they can't be separated. Enough already. I found their comedy routine too much, but then oh I forgot, the show's a comedy now......

The Lucian Alliance just bores me like The Trust, I just can't get interested in them. And killing Emerson, haven't enough characters been killed off already. I kind of liked him.

The whole beaming in and out is just getting too easy, I know people have been saying this for a while, but they are overdoing the whole spaceship thing. What happened to the round, spinny thing, called the STARGATE, bring it back

Overall I give it 4/10

Also once again SGA was so much better for me this week

Thanks to Kidwizz for sig

Comment

You're absolutely right. For example, someone says "I didn't like such and such a thing in such an such an episode." A comment like that is met with responses such as "I'm so sick of people bashing the episode, and it doesn't bother me that so and so did this, so why on earth would it bother you, and you shouldn't say it, and let me tell you how wrong and silly you are to even mention it, because having a problem with the episode, especially if it's something that I don't find to be a problem is so wrong and bad and how do you live with yourself? Bad fan! Bad! No biscuits for you!"
                    Yes, apparently creative criticism goes over some people's heads.

Not even , or this make people know its in a lighthearted manner so *bang* they take it hard.
                    sigpic
                    "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
                    DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

Originally posted by esoap524
                      Shorter to quote NASA:

"You do not explode"
                      http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/as...rs/970603.html

Comment

Originally posted by chazevelt
                        I see your point, and agree with you to an extent. However, that being said, I think that the whole spaceship/alien enemies scenerio is quite new to the military people who are placed in these situations. SG1 being the vanguard of such situations, and usually held in a place of highest esteem, looked up to as the go-to people, I bought it that whoever the EO was, he immediatly deferred to anyone from SG1 that walked onto the bridge. And rightly so- even if Daniel isn't military- he's 'been there, done that'. Any officer with half a brain and the will to survive would say 'Be my guest'.
                        Yeah, I agree with you on this point. I don't think any eyebrows were raised because SG-1 is pretty famous among the military or any member of the SGC. Also, since the bad guys seemed intently interested in members of SG-1, it would stand to reason that any military personnel would defer to Sam, Teal'c, or Daniel in a moment of crisis. The only part I don't buy, and I didn't realize I'd have a hard time with it, frankly, is that Vala is regarded as a member of SG-1. I think I would have preferred if the Lucian Alliance refer to SG-1 and only Sam, Teal'c, Mitchell, and Daniel. I don't know. For some reason, it didn't feel right. I'm so used to the enemy demanding the heads of SG-1, and that meaning: Jack, Daniel, Teal'c, and Sam. I don't mind Mitchell and Jack trading places, right now, but for some reason, it didn't seem right at all with adding Vala to that mix. I feel this way mostly because Vala really hasn't had many missions at all with SG-1 for the enemy to even associate her as a part of SG-1.

I think I would have waited a little longer to have Vala made a member of SG-1. It would have been something to play up to as the season ends next year. Just my opinon.

Comment

I thought this episode was good--especially Sam waiting until she was back with the other crew members before letting her emotions out. It was just right that she become emotional. And not because she's a woman, she's human. She witnessed someone die, someone who was trying to protect her. That scene was very important. We would all need a chance to "take a moment" if we had to deal with that.

I'm bothered by Daniel in this episode. I know the show likes to have some comedy, but it seemed too forced on me. Does that make sense? Someone by now has said that better than me.

I miss the stargate (I know, I've said that before). But I feel the need to say it when I'm watching a show called Stargate.

I thought the show had a good twist with Cam using the ring twice and it not being very obvious.

Comment

Originally posted by Zoser
                            guess that must be the answer instead of "We need someone to drive this barge - I know let's get the archeologist!"
                            Daniel wasn't trying to drive the barge, he was trying to stall and communicate with the other ship. Communication, debate, diplomacy, and stalling is something Daniel is more than qualified to handle. He never took the chair to actually try and FLY the ship. I believe he was called over when the other ship hailed them.

Comment

Here's the grand total of things I liked about the episode - Sam. I thought she did good, liked her emotion, found her competant, and liked the realism of what's his face's intimidation tactics. I personally liked how Emerson bought it. I thought it was realistic, and again, gave me a nice chuckle. I liked the switch at the end with it being Mitchell, since I wasn't expecting it. And, even though there still hasn't been any meaningful interaction, I do like that they let Sam and Vala spend a little time together. That's it. So, this episode has faired better than Gemini, Grace, Yuckhole Extreme, and The 4th Horsemen II, my episodes with no redeeming factors.

Comment

Originally posted by chazevelt
                                I see your point, and agree with you to an extent. However, that being said, I think that the whole spaceship/alien enemies scenerio is quite new to the military people who are placed in these situations. SG1 being the vanguard of such situations, and usually held in a place of highest esteem, looked up to as the go-to people, I bought it that whoever the EO was, he immediatly deferred to anyone from SG1 that walked onto the bridge. And rightly so- even if Daniel isn't military- he's 'been there, done that'. Any officer with half a brain and the will to survive would say 'Be my guest'.
                                I understand why you would think that, but really, the Air Force is not going to let a civilian (let alone an archeologist) command an Air Force vessel no matter what his experience on an elite team is. Of course I'm just going by the Navy since I'm in the Navy, but the only time I've seen a civilian take command of a Navy ship is when the port authorities come onboard to guide a ship into certain ports, but that's always with the CO, XO and OOD overseeing it.

Emerson was the only one killed, I just find it totally unbelievable that there was no second in command of the ship (or any kind of chain of command on the bridge) unless it was Major Marks, but then he should have automatically sat in the CO's chair. I know they were doing repairs, but that's why there is something called General Quarters...all personnel have their own stations. Scenarios are always in place if the Captain can no longer be in command.

I have to keep telling myself to just enjoy the show for what it is...entertainment, and it's still good entertainment. I'm really going to miss it

Comment

Working...
                                X