Teal'c and Tretonin (unending spoilers)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Niteshadow View Post
    if anything she had 50 years to refine the Tretonin to the point that teal'c may not had needed it as often
    that might be true but sam isn't a doctor. I really don't think she could have done that. She just doens't have the expertise.
    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Originally posted by Starrtom View Post
      Thats a reasonable answer, but it does not add up. Yes they can use waste etc, but simply by the fact they are living convert a lot of that matter is converted into energy to keep them going. Therefore there would be less and less matter available over time.
      The waste conversion idea holds up. Yeah, we use up energy as we convert food to waste, but we are incredibly, unbelievably inefficient in how we derive energy from food. Think of how much energy is contained in the atoms of an apple. If you were to split those atoms to release that energy, you'd wipe out a city. We take away only the tiniest little fraction of an apple's energy when we digest it.
      I guess you could recycle and reuse the same matter a couple of million times,over and over again with the Asgard technology.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
        that might be true but sam isn't a doctor. I really don't think she could have done that. She just doens't have the expertise.
        Sam is a doctor, rewatch the first episode and you'll see that she introduces herself to daniel as Dr. Samantha Carter. She also make references were she refers to her previous works at area 51 on nano technology, which makes her a doctor of science.

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
          Maybe the matter was being created out of nowhere. No one knows exactly how the Asgard tech works, or what it is capable of. "Our" laws of physics may not have applied.
          Technically speaking, Carter was the one who tweaked the Beaming technology to become a matter converter. For your statement of "No-one knows exactly..", of course no-one knows, all their great inventions now were cumulative, that and Sam only had to mess around with some of the Beaming coding.

On Topic:~If you pay attention in the "Have you ever seen the rain" CCR montage, then you'll see Carter converting something into the Tretonin.

Carter actually said she'll recycle the CO2 into O2 using the converter, so that basically is one waste being converted. Perhaps the Waste Disposal area on the Odyssey would become almost a storeroom for the required whatnots for the converter, Carter would only have to set a certain co-ordinates within the ship for the converter to take from, then voila, your own stock of fuel to convert.

The idea of Sam perfecting the formula for Tretonin to finally become one off (sorta like the anti-Wraithifying drug) would've taken more than just that time probably. We can only speculate on how much, if any, progress she made on the research. Possibly she couldn't achieve anything because only the Tok'ra knew most of the info?

Comment

Originally posted by kirkeastmetn View Post
            Sam is a doctor, rewatch the first episode and you'll see that she introduces herself to daniel as Dr. Samantha Carter. She also make references were she refers to her previous works at area 51 on nano technology, which makes her a doctor of science.
            I think P-90 meant she's not a medical doctor. She has field medical training, but she's not got the expertise required to do something so medically complicated as refine tretonin.

That said, she's a very smart woman and I'm sure she could have worked on her medical knowledge...
            sigpic

Thanks to YappiChick for the lovely sig

Comment

Originally posted by Starrtom View Post
              This then begs the question, for that fabricator to keep operating and they are stuck in time, it needs a supply of matter to fabricate, where would this matter come from? It can't just create matter out of nothing, can it? If it did it certainly defies the most basic laws of physics.
              Not necessarily, correct me if I'm wrong but want the laws of conservation of energy and conservation of mass merged into the law of conservation of mass and energy when uit was discovered that energy can be converted into matter and vice versa. Given how good the Asgard power core is they should have had enough energy to create everything they needed.

Originally posted by kirkeastmetn View Post
              You can't just be a Doctor of Science, science is a huge area and I'm fairly certain it's stated that her doctorate is in Quantum Physics. That would not give you the expertise to refine tretonin for which a doctorate in immunology would probably be most useful

Comment

Working...
              X