What do you think about Stargate SG-1 Ending

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kmiller1610 View Post
    The Alien series should have ended with Aliens (2nd movie).

The Terminator series should have ended with T2.

Stargate SG-1 should have ended with Threads (Season 8, episode 18) which would have been the perfect ending.

But you know what happened with all three. Like a pro boxer who doesn't know when to hang em up, the fans don't know when to let go and the producers just want another paycheck.

Like most of seasons 9 and 10, Unending just didn't fit. I found it mildly enertaining, but the characters seem more like the cardboard cut-outs from Wormholes Extreme than the carefully crafted and motivated folks from Seasons 1-8.

I will not complain about all the good work this show has done. But my DVD collection ends with 8.

You've got it almost right. Moebius was a great episode in my opinion. They really should have ended it with that. Yes, Threads ended the main arc, before the show could end, they had to save Atlantis. And yes, I'm completely in agreement about season 9-10; the only episode I can remember explicitly enjoying was Ex Deus Machina, just because I loved how Ba'al handled his situation. But I would have been much happier if they had ended it with season 8, and then created movies from there (which probably would have appeased MacGuiver, as he wouldn't need to spend ALL his time in Canada).

Comment

To me, it seemed like "Unending" was very symbolic of the situation the series is in. I mean, you had the Asgard who, in their attempts to prolong their life, doomed themselves to death. That was paralleled by SG1, who's attempt to give themselves more time to save themselves, by using the Time Dilation Device (I loved that, btw. Excellent use of Asgard tech), ended up dooming themselves, or at least so they thought. Both of those scenarios strike me as similar to what the show did, when it was cancelled by showtime. In an attempt to prolong the show, they went to SciFi, which ultimately doomed the show with the current situation of SciFi cancelling SG1 and not allowing them to take it to another network. This was reinforced many times, like when Landry told Sam that they'd have been dead long ago if she hadn't done what she did, just like how the show would have been dead long ago if they hadn't gone to scifi. Then of course, you had SG1 in the ship trying to find a way out of a seemingly impossible situation. Trying to find some way to survive, much like how the producers of the show have been trying to find some way to continue the series, despite a seemingly impossible situation. Even the name of the episode seemed to be defiant of SciFi channel's cancellation of the show.

Overall, I thought it was a great episode. The Asgard dying was incredibly sad, and I'm baffled as to why they didn't upload their consciousnesses into the computer in the hopes that maybe SG1 could find some way to cure their disease. Or at the very least, they could have lived on as holograms, instead of having those holograms be basically just for tech support. I also thought it was kind of preposterous that the Ori could "sense" Asgard tech. If that was the case, why hadn't they attacked Aurilla sooner? Why weren't the Asgard being hunted down and wiped out by Ori ships? And it was never even proven anyway, they just figured "well, it must be all that Asgard tech!". The whole thing smelled of plot device, but that's ok, because it really didn't change the fact that it was a great episode. However, it just didn't seem like a typical series finale. No resolution of the Ori arc, no resolution of Baal, not even a MENTION of Jack (that really pissed me off), STILL NO FURLINGS. But, I think that was the point. It's not the end of the series, it's just the last episode SciFi will allow. And as for the "Have you ever seen the rain" montage, I bet that was originally supposed to be "Don't stop believing", but the Sopranos already took it. lol

Comment

<shameless plug>
        Well, I've posted my thoughts on my blog.
        </shameless plug>

But in general, I think ten years is a good long run for a show. I just wish there was a more satisfying wrap up...
        Through Life's dull road, so dim and dirty
        I have dragged to three-and-thirty.
        What have these years left to me?
        Nothing, except thirty-three.

- Lord Byron

Dispatches From the Suburbs of Hell

The Pit

Comment

Originally posted by Apophis87 View Post
          To me, it seemed like "Unending" was very symbolic of the situation the series is in. I mean, you had the Asgard who, in their attempts to prolong their life, doomed themselves to death. That was paralleled by SG1, who's attempt to give themselves more time to save themselves, by using the Time Dilation Device (I loved that, btw. Excellent use of Asgard tech), ended up dooming themselves, or at least so they thought. Both of those scenarios strike me as similar to what the show did, when it was cancelled by showtime. In an attempt to prolong the show, they went to SciFi, which ultimately doomed the show with the current situation of SciFi cancelling SG1 and not allowing them to take it to another network. This was reinforced many times, like when Landry told Sam that they'd have been dead long ago if she hadn't done what she did, just like how the show would have been dead long ago if they hadn't gone to scifi. Then of course, you had SG1 in the ship trying to find a way out of a seemingly impossible situation. Trying to find some way to survive, much like how the producers of the show have been trying to find some way to continue the series, despite a seemingly impossible situation. Even the name of the episode seemed to be defiant of SciFi channel's cancellation of the show.
          ITA. I never thought of the comparison to scifi till now though.

Overall, I thought it was a great episode. The Asgard dying was incredibly sad, and I'm baffled as to why they didn't upload their consciousnesses into the computer in the hopes that maybe SG1 could find some way to cure their disease. Or at the very least, they could have lived on as holograms, instead of having those holograms be basically just for tech support. I also thought it was kind of preposterous that the Ori could "sense" Asgard tech. If that was the case, why hadn't they attacked Aurilla sooner? Why weren't the Asgard being hunted down and wiped out by Ori ships? And it was never even proven anyway, they just figured "well, it must be all that Asgard tech!". The whole thing smelled of plot device, but that's ok, because it really didn't change the fact that it was a great episode. However, it just didn't seem like a typical series finale. No resolution of the Ori arc, no resolution of Baal, not even a MENTION of Jack (that really pissed me off), STILL NO FURLINGS. But, I think that was the point. It's not the end of the series, it's just the last episode SciFi will allow. And as for the "Have you ever seen the rain" montage, I bet that was originally supposed to be "Don't stop believing", but the Sopranos already took it. lol
          I too agree that the Asgard dieing was sad but well done. As to why the Ori hadent gotten to them before, Thor said that they had been working on this project, ie getting their technology to the highest point and getting all of their knowledge together, so grant it this is just a guess but I guesing the unique energy signature wasn't developed to shortly before we got there. I'm guessing the Ori were either 1. waiting for us to arrive or were just getting there as the planet went kaboom.As to your final points I wasnt ewxpecting a resolution to that because it would be impossible to do in such a short time. As to Jack it didnt bother me as it didnt seem neccesary. Not too worried about the furlings was never too fond of them anyway. I looked at it as the end of the SERIES but not the end of SG-1. As too the song I didnt know that I prefer what they used.
          Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
          "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
          Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

As a fan since the beginning I thought it was a horrible ending.
            I think the best ending was season 7. There was a big battle, it built up to a new powerful discovery and lead to the birth of the Atlantis series. After season 7 SG-1 sort of fell apart. Although I have enjoyed the last three seasons. Even bad Stargate is better then most of what is on TV.

Still, I can accept the fact that this episode wasn't going to wrap everything up, and hopefully the two movies will. So I'm hoping the two movies are the real finale the show needs. But I kind of wish the two movies didn't have to exist. I really don't want my favorite show going out like this. It really needs a solid ending and I hope the writers don't screw it up by leaving it too open ended in case more movie deals come up. Because you know that after these next two movies, that's it. No one will care enough to keep funding it. That's just how these things go. So lets really end it guys. And make it good.

Problems I had:

1. They should have made this a two or three part finale.

2. Teal'c is now a ruined character in my opinion. After speeding 50 years with these same people, growing old with them, I would be tired of them. I would be tired of everything. There was no change in his character even though he spent nearly half his life on this spaceship, I find it way too unbelievable. I would have rather they killed him off then leave him like this. Think about if you suddenly grew old with all your friends then one day they all reverted back to being 50 years younger and forgot everything. You would no longer be able to relate to them anymore. They would be completely different people and so would you. It's a lonely sad way they left Teal'c. After ten years his character deserves much better.

3. I agree why didn't Sam hook up with Teal'c or Mitchell in those 50 years?
            It's not like they really had anything better to do.

4. I really would have like to have seen Jack and Hammond and even Jonas return for the finale.

Ok I'm done. But I still fell cheated. They could have done so much better then this. It's obvious what a rush job this was. I really hope they redeem themselves with the movies. I'm hoping the whole last episode was just a dream or an alternate universe.
            Saw Stargate three times in the theater when it first came out. Watched SG-1 when it first came on TV. Been a fan since the beginning. Still a fan now.

Comment

Originally posted by roxics View Post
              It really needs a solid ending and I hope the writers don't screw it up by leaving it too open ended in case more movie deals come up. Because you know that after these next two movies, that's it. No one will care enough to keep funding it. That's just how these things go. So lets really end it guys. And make it good.
              I agree that SG-1, in the end, does need a solid ending. But that doesn't mean they can't leave a little room open for future movie possibilities. MGM was initially going to wait and see how the first two movies sold before making any decisions on future ones, but rumors are starting to fly a bit that they may already be considering green-lighting a third one.

Obviously, MGM still has faith in SG-1 being able to sell DVDs, and so do I. Personally, I hope SG-1 can live on in movie form for some time to come.
              sigpic
              MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
              "...phu...ah..."
              "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
              Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Shadowing what the creators have all ready mentioned, they should have had more explosions. I mean, really, I expected something more then the entire show being about them growing old. Oh well. I hope the movies are good!

Comment

My immediate thoughts when the screen faded to black were:

"Was that it?"
                  "Captain, you almost make me believe in luck."

Comment

Originally posted by Missster.Freeman View Post

"Was that it?"
                    Hmmm, I remember being quite satisfied overall when "Unending" was over. Of course, knowing that the DVD movies were on the way may have helped with that.
                    sigpic
                    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                    "...phu...ah..."
                    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I agree with you 100% regarding the Teal'c comment Roxics. If I were Teal'c, I would have a tremendous amount of resentment over time, but I suppose that would be "out of character" for his role. This said, I'm not sure where they take his character from here...I mean fifty years, forgetting what Earth and the homeplanet look like, forgetting certain things about the SGC...I'd feel a great sense of abandonment. I'm wonder if the movie will do enough or even try to address these issues that the "tauri" would feel.

Originally posted by roxics View Post
                      As a fan since the beginning I thought it was a horrible ending.
                      I think the best ending was season 7. There was a big battle, it built up to a new powerful discovery and lead to the birth of the Atlantis series. After season 7 SG-1 sort of fell apart. Although I have enjoyed the last three seasons. Even bad Stargate is better then most of what is on TV.

Still, I can accept the fact that this episode wasn't going to wrap everything up, and hopefully the two movies will. So I'm hoping the two movies are the real finale the show needs. But I kind of wish the two movies didn't have to exist. I really don't want my favorite show going out like this. It really needs a solid ending and I hope the writers don't screw it up by leaving it too open ended in case more movie deals come up. Because you know that after these next two movies, that's it. No one will care enough to keep funding it. That's just how these things go. So lets really end it guys. And make it good.

Problems I had:

1. They should have made this a two or three part finale.

2. Teal'c is now a ruined character in my opinion. After speeding 50 years with these same people, growing old with them, I would be tired of them. I would be tired of everything. There was no change in his character even though he spent nearly half his life on this spaceship, I find it way too unbelievable. I would have rather they killed him off then leave him like this. Think about if you suddenly grew old with all your friends then one day they all reverted back to being 50 years younger and forgot everything. You would no longer be able to relate to them anymore. They would be completely different people and so would you. It's a lonely sad way they left Teal'c. After ten years his character deserves much better.

3. I agree why didn't Sam hook up with Teal'c or Mitchell in those 50 years?
                      It's not like they really had anything better to do.

4. I really would have like to have seen Jack and Hammond and even Jonas return for the finale.

Ok I'm done. But I still fell cheated. They could have done so much better then this. It's obvious what a rush job this was. I really hope they redeem themselves with the movies. I'm hoping the whole last episode was just a dream or an alternate universe.

Comment

Originally posted by Missster.Freeman View Post

"Was that it?"
                        I thought the same way
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                          Hmmm, I remember being quite satisfied overall when "Unending" was over. Of course, knowing that the DVD movies were on the way may have helped with that.
                          Agreed. I was very satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
                            Agreed. I was very satisfied.
                            i was left satisfied, we got to see what would happen if daniel and vala got together. we saw the end of the asgard. i liked how they went out with a bang, taking 2 Ori ships with them.

Comment

Originally posted by SG66 View Post
                              i was left satisfied, we got to see what would happen if daniel and vala got together. we saw the end of the asgard. i liked how they went out with a bang, taking 2 Ori ships with them.
                              Indeed very sweet.

Comment

i really like the ending of SG1 because it was a chance to see daniel and vala together which i was really looking forward to and also the end where they all went through the stargate together was amazing it was the best way they could of ended it

i just can't wait untill the movies !!!!!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X