X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mandysg1
    got room in the car, for another passenger
    Move over I think we need a larger vehicle.
    -

Comment

Originally posted by RealmOfX
      Maybe so, but a lot of us think that they did a lousy job. It just seems that some people have so low expectations that everything that is dished up is just AWESOME!!!!! regardless of it's content.
      I take offense at that. I don't have lower expectations we just view the show differently. I still think the show is doing well and I like the new changes. I had high expectations going into season 10 and thus far have not been disapointed.
      Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
      "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
      Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Deejay435
        Actually, I find that I like the episodes far more when my expectations going in are low.
        My thoughts too. I went into MM thinking it was going to be horrid, and instead it just sucked. Bonus!
        The really scary eps are the ones where I think they're going to be awful and they end up worse. (I'm looking at you, Irresistable.)

After seeing how TPTB treat cars in MM, I think I'll be walking, thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82
          Mabey so but alot of us think that they did a great job. It just seems that some people have so low expectations that they expect it to be awfull so in their eyes it is!
          Maybe so, but a lot of us think that they did a lousy job. It just seems that some people have so low expectations that everything that is dished up is just AWESOME!!!!! regardless of it's content.
          I take offense at that. I don't have lower expectations we just view the show differently. I still think the show is doing well and I like the new changes. I had high expectations going into season 10 and thus far have not been disapointed.
          <snort> why am I not surprised? I merely turned your words around and offered your view from the flip side of the coin. Obviously the lesson went over your head.

My apologies to the mods, I'll behave now.
          -

Comment

I take offense at that.
            How ironic, given what you just said. If you want to dish it out you ought to be able to take it too.
            scarimor

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
              Indeed, at this point I think lowered expectations is the only thing keeping the show on the air.

Lowered expectations of some of the fans, lowered expections of scifi execs, lowered expectations of TPTB.

When TPTB act like a 1.9-1.4 is good when they used to get 2's well that shows their lowered expectation. I dont think scifi expected to make money on this show this year, they just wanted the title. And I think many fans now watch because its habit, its mindless entertainment, or "stargate is still better then anything else on TV". Now THATs a selling statement. I mean everything else on TV is crp and Stargate is just a bit better then crp, Oh boy.

Although there are some who think its a totally awesome, completely logical, more entertaining then anything else, and to them I say "Good for you and have fun. I'll be waiting in the car".

I think non-lowered expectations are part of the reason I didn't like MM. (The other part was potraying Cam as a gluttonous, slovelnly lump just waiting around to be rescued. Evidence of going for the cheap joke by tptb. Cam deserves better treatment than that.)

But I've liked most of season 10 (Flesh and Blood notwithstanding). I've had some minor issues with individual episodes, but on the whole enjoyed them far more than last season. So I had higher expectations-and thus thought MM was a snoozefest. Unlike last season where I expected dren and was rewarded with the occassional Ethon, or The Scourge where I could be delighted.

Comment

Hey. Make room for me too.
                sigpic

Comment

Question? Why is okay for you to slam those that don't like it by saying it's because we have lowered expectations, but if someone implies that the only reason you like it is because you have lowered expectations, you take offense?
                  sigpic

Comment

It just seems that some people have so low expectations that they expect it to be awfull so in their eyes it is!
                    I would have thought that if one's expectations were low, even a mediocre show would appear good next to what one had anticipated.

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan
                      When TPTB act like a 1.9-1.4 is good when they used to get 2's well that shows their lowered expectation.
                      In fairness to TPTB, we can't know how they really feel about the ratings, we only know what they tell us their feelings are. If they are to have any hope of selling the show to another network, persuading the Sci-Fi channel to give it another shot or convincing investors that it would be worth their while to invest in a mini-series or TV movie, they can't exactly say "the ratings are a huge disappointment", "viewer numbers have been dropping pretty steadily over the past year or so", "we can't guarantee any better than 1.4-1.5ish if you do take on the show".

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by ParadoxRealities
                        of course, if this background is overturned and explained :cough:spy/friendswheretheairisthin!Mitchell:cough: i might change my mind. in fact, i'd probably love it. providing it was done "well". yes, well is entirely subjective, i know that. thanks.
                        spoilers for s9's MM (don't remember name)

Spoiler:
                        you mean like mitchell being the spy at the sgc?

i actually would find that very interesting, especially if mitchell wasn't really a bad guy, just misinformed and changed his mind somewhere along the way. but he still spied and sent along the info to his bosses.

sally

sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                          spoilers for s9's MM (don't remember name)

Spoiler:
                          you mean like mitchell being the spy at the sgc?

i actually would find that very interesting, especially if mitchell wasn't really a bad guy, just misinformed and changed his mind somewhere along the way. but he still spied and sent along the info to his bosses.

sally

That's exactly what I proposed in this thread:

http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....0&postcount=74

http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....5&postcount=82

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

My opinion on the subject is that RCC killed the show because I feel that while there are many reasons contributing to the demise of the show the majority of those were creative ones. RCC is the showrunner and is responsible for balancing the creative and financial aspects of the show, in my view he failed miserably with his creative choices and failure to extract certain standards from his writers.

my opinion about rob cooper changed with the s7 ep 'chimera'. he had a hand in writing this character, and, for me, pete went from a decent guy sam was dating into an immature jerk who checked up on his new girlfriend. BUT, what made it all the worse is a- sam was the one that looked the worse for letting him get away with it, and b- rob's (and other ppl associated with the show) attitude about the pete complaints were condescending and 'meh, so what'.

if the fans opinions about pete (which were a heck of a lot more than just resentful s/j shippers) would have been broached with sensitivity and respect, i'm sure my anger about this character and storyline would have been greatly reduced.

for me, this was rob's first big mistake, which was only the first in a long line.

sally
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Skydiver
                              different tastes for different people.

I see MM as a missed opportunity. we could have learned something about vala. seen into her past. got an idea what made her tick.
                              and here's the sad point: i don't 'want' to know about vala (and mitchell). that's why i fastforwarded through her not-with-sg1 scenes, because i'm not interested.

this falls TOTALLY on the writing, starting in season 9. i fell in love with sam, jack, daniel, and teal'c in the first half of their first season. now *that's* how to write new characters!

sally
                              sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Deejay435
                                I think non-lowered expectations are part of the reason I didn't like MM. (The other part was potraying Cam as a gluttonous, slovelnly lump just waiting around to be rescued. Evidence of going for the cheap joke by tptb. Cam deserves better treatment than that.)
                                i actually didn't mind mitchell and vala in MM (i can't remember its name, but it keeps coming out 'mentos memorial'. ).

Spoiler:
                                i was really worried about the mitchell handcuffed in bed scene and the riding off on a motorcycle scene. both were a lot better done than i was expecting, so my actual enjoyment of them were prob more not wincing and cringing through them.

both mitchell and vala were toned down, which made them work more for me.

sally
                                sally

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X