• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LaCroix
    Do you mean the one line regarding
    Spoiler:
    penis.

(sorry PG fourm) That episode was written by Christopher Judge.
    I actually LMAO in that scene. I agree some one liners are corny like the orifice joke but i kinda thought it was very Jack. I don't think the stupified him at all.
    Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
    "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
    Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by LaCroix
      Do you mean the one line regarding
      Spoiler:
      penis.

(sorry PG fourm) That episode was written by Christopher Judge.
      Yes, that would be the line. I mean, it made sense given the whole female thing but I just didn't think it was very Jack-like. CJ writing the episode might have had something to do with that.
      sigpic
      "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
      DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82
        I meant that everyone is being repetitive. No I can differentiate quite well. I've noticed the differences in opinion but it all seems to come down to one thing the writing. While I'll agree some eps are better than others I can't say any are awful. I just really think the chraracters are fine and while I disagree with some views I respect them and I can see where they are coming from I just don't agree.
        I think you're still mistaking writing for showrunning. Showrunning and writing are two entirely different things.

Ken Levine said in his blog in April: "Showrunners are responsible for the writing, casting, hiring, post production, promotion, dealing with network, censors, studio, non-writing pod producers, and the other 90% of time dealing with the actors."

People aren't talking about Cooper being a poor writer, but being a poor showrunner.

Comment

Originally posted by Deejay435
          I think you're still mistaking writing for showrunning. Showrunning and writing are two entirely different things.

Ken Levine said in his blog in April: "Showrunners are responsible for the writing, casting, hiring, post production, promotion, dealing with network, censors, studio, non-writing pod producers, and the other 90% of time dealing with the actors."

People aren't talking about Cooper being a poor writer, but being a poor showrunner.
          Like somebody could be a great doctor, but would do a poor job handling the running of a hospital, or they could be a wonderful teacher, but not necessarily a good choice for principal?

Sig courtesy of RepliCartertje

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
            Like somebody could be a great doctor, but would do a poor job handling the running of a hospital, or they could be a wonderful teacher, but not necessarily a good choice for principal?
            Basically. Rob Cooper is a terrific writer, showrunner on the other hand...not so much.
            sigpic
            "Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence."
            DS9 Superior|Farscape|Legend of the Seeker|Stargate Universe|STAR WARS

Comment

Originally posted by ReganX
              Exactly like that!

Comment

exactly.

or someone could be a good story editor, but suck on camera and have zero presence. or be a good radio personality but be horrible on camera

different people have differing strengths.

coop is a good writer (still does the boys better than the girls. he seems to get so caught up on 'omg, i'm writing a girl!!!!' that he forgets to just write) and he's a good director. Sateda was one of the best eps of s3 for me

but as a show runner????? no. he is NOT a good multitasker and the show has suffered becauase of is
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Wow, so many replies since my last visit...this is a very hot topic. After reading some replies to my previous post many pages ago, I think some people took offense to my "in the 8th season the show was getting tired" bit. Let me make it clear that that's not my opinion because...well...I never saw the 8th or any previous seasons. That was just what I heard from critics (when they actually talked about the show) and certain individuals I've talked to. I've had shows that have lost their freshness as they've aged but I've still enjoyed and watched them....so that's not necassarily saying the show sucked or anything.

As I've stated, I like the two new characters...but I suppose if I had been watching for 8 years I would be weary to accept any new additions...especially when they replaced or took center stage over beloved, established characters. But I think they are a nice addition to the show and kind of freshen things up.

I think it's a little too black and white to say that they killed Stargate. I don't think individual characters can do that, I never have. It's the writing. The writers are responsible for keeping us interested. A show can have an interesting main character but still not hold my interest if the story surrounding the character/actor is subpar. I suppose if CB and BB were really horrible actors, that might have play a part but if the show was being written well and fans really responded to it then I don't people would tune out. I mean, look at Keanu Reeves or Orlando Bloom who aren't exactly master thespians yet manage to survive in Hollywood because of what movies/vehicles they chose (and because of their looks). Or take for example soap operas....I may LOVE a character but if they're in a bad storyline I'm gonna stop watching or ffwd through their scenes no matter how much I may like them.

When I first tuned in last season, I'll say that I wasn't enamored with the show and honestly didn't always tune in simply because I didn't care for the storylines. The only reason I ever did turn it on was because I liked Vala and her and Daniel were cute/fun together. After she left I wasn't drawn to the show anymore because the story just wasn't there for me. I've picked it back up again this season because I saw parts that interested me (I think the writers have finally melded the characters together...season 9 came off as a more transitionary period...and maybe that was off-putting for people). Granted, this is just one case but I don't think it's fair to place blame on any character/actor for the failings of a show....the buck, for the most part, stops with the writers.

Say what you will about Vala & Cam but I think they've come into their own this season and for the first time, I am more excited about the SG-1 episode than the Atlantis one.

-Stef

PHOTOBUCKET // WEBSITE // LIVEJOURNAL---------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Tracy Jane
                    I think that's right. I find Vala an interesting character and I do (To some extent) quite like her. But, despite that, I think she's been poorly developped (and I stress that this is no fault of Black as an actress) and I'm not convinced the character really fits in with the old style of SG1.
                    doesn't that fit with vala AND mitchell? it does with me; it struck a cord in me the way you put it.

sally
                    sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by smurf
                      I wasn't horrified, I just thought it wasn't Jack O'Neill.
                      But then they stupidfied him during season 8, so I suppose they think it is now...
                      i actually thought it fit jack's character. i felt he knew just what he was saying; he just liked getting a reaction out of everyone.

sally
                      sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by majorsal
                        i actually thought it fit jack's character. i felt he knew just what he was saying; he just liked getting a reaction out of everyone.

sally
                        Now I finally agree with you on something. That is exactly how I saw it.

Comment

Why is it even a question??? They not only killed it, they banished it's soul to the darkest of the Hell dimensions, to scream in anguish alongside Mortal Kombat: Konquest!!!
                          Last edited by SionnachOghma; 21 September 2006, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SionnachOghma
                            Why is it even a question??? They not only killed, they banished it's soul to the darkest of the Hell dimensions, to scream in anguish alongside Mortal Kombat!!!
                            Wow. That's very picturesque.

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Well, there was a time when I was frequently encouraging a friend of mine to be nicer to Mitchell, to give him a chance, etc...

That time has passed...

Comment

Originally posted by SionnachOghma
                                Why is it even a question??? They not only killed, they banished it's soul to the darkest of the Hell dimensions, to scream in anguish alongside Mortal Kombat: Konquest!!!
                                That's a little harsh I think. For one that movie sucks ass and Stargate is still alive and kicking IMO.

Comment

Working...
                                X