This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by the fifth man
    Doesn't really matter if people wanted him back or not. It was his choice to bow out. TPTB had to react to that. They did what they felt they needed to, and IMO, they did a fine job of it in Seasons 9 and 10 (what we've seen so far).
    Oh yeah! Have to agree with you on that!

Maybe the reason could be that the storyline, from the raters' (people
    who rate the show) perspective, is becoming a little repetitive.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon_06
      Oh yeah! Have to agree with you on that!

Maybe the reason could be that the storyline, from the raters' (people
      who rate the show) perspective, is becoming a little repetitive.
      I don't really think so. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I think the main, number one reason SG-1 was not renewed, was because of it's cost to produce. The show had just gotten too expensive in Sci-Fi's eyes. SGA is only still around because it's cheaper to make. Not that I'm complaining. I like Atlantis.
      sigpic
      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
      "...phu...ah..."
      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

what time is it in USA ?????
        Mitchell: This village as died as a dresser of Texan crudenesses!

Comment

Uh...1:11 PM right now in CA.

Stargate SG-1 is on SCI FI on Fridays at 9PM Eastern and
          Pacific times.

Not quite sure what you just asking. What time is it or
          what time is stargate on?
          sigpic

Comment

t'was TiVo killed the beast
            McKay:...ZedPM
            O'Neill: Zed?
            Jackson: He's Canadian
            O'Neill: I'm sorry

Comment

I don't really think so. I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I think the main, number one reason SG-1 was not renewed, was because of it's cost to produce. The show had just gotten too expensive in Sci-Fi's eyes. SGA is only still around because it's cheaper to make. Not that I'm complaining. I like Atlantis.
              I never thought of that. Good catch!

Atlantis is cool! I love the teal colors that decorate the main title.
              Atlantis also has a more beautiful Stargate.
              sigpic

Comment

Personally I don't think they had anything to do with SciFi cancelling stargate. SciFi had everything to do with the cancelling of stargate! Vala i felt breathed a bit of fresh air into the show, her chemistry with the other characters was brilliant, and she is even better because she is clever. Cam can be a bit tough going at times, but he is a character that I've grown to like.

Question 2, you are in the desert, you see a tortoise lying on his back, in the hot sun. You recognize his plight but do nothing to help, why?

because… you are also a tortoise.

O’NEILL: No. No. Full well expected the other shoe to drop eventually.

THOR: We can only hope this will be the last footwear to fall.

T-minus 16 days until sky one season 10 premiere.

Comment

Atlantis also has a more beautiful Stargate.
                  For me, nothing can top the original Stargate in my eyes. It holds a special place in my heart.
                  sigpic
                  MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                  "...phu...ah..."
                  "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                  Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

For me, nothing can top the original Stargate in my eyes. It holds a special place in my heart.
                    Yep, the one that has launched the award winning series!

Cheers to that!
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AdamRLeggett
                      So if Sci-fi cancelled the show because of escalating costs - doesn't that mean the pay checks associated with paying the original cast killed the show - and if so were they approached to potentially not take a pay rise for the new season (or even take a pay cut) instead of losing their jobs? (and taking the show with it) - or is the whole thing really just an excuse to close out an old show in favor of some new (probably cruddy) show.
                      I don't think that any one factor killed the show.

I think that there are way more factors than just the original actors salaries and it seems that they have been used as a target by tptb. There is the exchange rate, escalating costs on just about everything they have to pay for and the new cast members. They hired three name actors and some notable guest stars, all of whom had agents to fight for the best deal that they could get their clients. That's a sizable increase in the cast budget that is not associated with the original three.

IMHO SciFi never meant to go beyond season 10 and the record.

Comment

Originally posted by ScullySayer
                        You just summarised my entire thought process in two paragraphs, thank you.
                        No - Mitchell and Vala did not "kill" SG-1, as IMO it had already been dead at least a season before they were introduced. The only reason I kept watching in Season 8 was because of my devotion to the characters. Bringing in two new characters who I couldn't at all identify with just gave me a reason not to bother any more. I know there are fans who like the new team, but there are also a lot who felt the way I did... in the end Mitchell and Vala were just symptoms of a much deeper problem with the series that eventually lead to its demise.
                        i feel that mitchell and vala are at the heart of the problem, but not *the* problem because the writing of them was the problem.

that's why i fear that if some campaign to bring the show back (in a weekly format as opposed to a mini series) works, *i'll* still be stuck with a version of my beloved show that's not beloved for me anymore. selfish or not, i want the original format (sam-jack-daniel-teal'c, or sam-daniel-teal'c) back.

absolutely NO offense to ben browder or claudia black, but i don't like how their characters took over the show. and that's ALL the ptb's faults.

sally
                        sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wen
                          I personally don't think its Cam or Vala's fault that the show is being cancelled. And I personally don't see why people are blaming them for it. Its the Scifi exe fault, they wanted to save money. I heard a rumor that Universal was pressuring scifi to get rid of their older shows to make room for newer shows. If that is true, then it was kinda like what The WB did to Angel. According to what I have heard about that issue, the reason Angel was cancelled was because the exes at that time wanted to get rid their older shows to make room for newer and crappier shows. So I don't its cam and Vala's fault, its the exes who wants more newer and crappier shows, maybe even more wrestling!(What was scifi's explanation for having wrestling on a scifi channel again?)

yeah, but 'angel' sucked at the end! my opinion of course. (how they handled charisma/cordy's pregnancy, and then exit from the show... i still have the cringe marks from it)

i think, when a show stops getting more popular, it only makes it easier for the network to say 'you're out!'.

sally
                          sally

sigpic

Comment

Good point! I guess the high costs can be a sign of aging in
                            a TV show.

I think it depends on the audience. If they wanted RDA back,
                            they would have said so.
                            well, if salaries are such a big issue, they why hire three more popular actors?

sally
                            sally

sigpic

Comment

It's very easy to just blame the cost of the show on the cancellation, but it has to be remembered that if the ratings were high enough for Sci Fi to make a good profit from the advertising time sold then the show wouldn't have been cancelled.
                              The money coming in didn't justify the money going out.

Bad writing, especially of the new characters, killed Stargate in my opinion.

Comment

Badly written characters never help a show so the characters, and the way they were written probably had to do with some of the failure of the show. But the characters were not the only thing poorly written in these last two seasons they are just the most obvious since the way the writers wrote them made them stick out like a sore thumb.
                                Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Working...
                                X