This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mitchell82
    I get the feeling you like the show but I cant be sure. I like the new direction of the show and am curious since you like Vala/Cam as do I but what about the overall show.
    Indeed i like it ! The stargates are the only series that i'm curently watching.

Well, there were episodes that i disliked (the recent 200 for example). But I
    realise that it must be hard to come up each time with fresh ideas that
    everybody would like .

Comment

at the risk of being provocative (probably one of my middle names) I'd like to politely ask why it is that when people say they think that Cam/Vala brought down the show they also (eloquently) outline their reasons for thinking so.

This is, after all, a discussion.

When this is met with head-tossing, foot stomping and "no they didn't" in a pouty tone, they have no opportunity for understanding why the Pro Cam/Vala people think so.

It could be that the pro-people have a good reason for thinking so, it could be that antis haven't looked at that angle before. So why not give it a go?

Because otherwise people like me who are looking in from the ouside will think that they only like cam/vala because they are no longer getting their John/Aeryn fix.

Or something like that.
      In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

Has stargate been cancelled ?!?!? Who would do something that stupid?

Comment

I will be provocative!! Hey! Yes you!! Did you watch Counterstrike tonight?
          Did Col.Mitchel act in a military way? Was he competent!

What about Vala? was she fitting in the team? And what about Gen.Landry?

Ok my point is .. give the characters a great story and a decent setting and you will see wonders. Vala was great tonight one of her best episodes. Tones down, serious but with a small joke or whatever here and there but mostly somber tone... Cam, acting like a real leader of a small military team.

My point is .. the characters are great if they were written LIKE this from the beginning, it is the writers!

------

Edited my post to make sure no words even one that may hint to a spoiler is present
          Last edited by OberonSky; 26 August 2006, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by OberonSky
            Did Col.Mitchel act in a military way? Was he competent!

What about Vala? was she fitting in the team? And what about Gen.Landry?

Ok my point is .. give the characters a great story and a decent setting and you will see wonders. Vala was great tonight one of her best episodes. Tones down, serious but with a small joke or whatever here and there but mostly somber tone... Cam, acting like a real leader of a small military team.

My point is .. the characters are great if they were written LIKE this from the beginning, it is the writers!
            Yes i also liked Counterstrike it was one of the best episodes this season. The characters seemed more naturale and not so stiff as in some other episodes.

Comment

I focused on the new characters but really that episode gave very good screentime to almost all characters with solid dialogue/action etc. This is the SG-1 we need to see, and Bra'tac!

teal'c had some nice moments .. i mean ok I am going overboard with my "satisfaction" with this episode but it is what we really needed to soothe the news of cancellation and restore our faith in the SG-1 team, they can make it and they still have a lot to offer in terms of drama/action/interaction etc . if given the right script and stories.
              Last edited by OberonSky; 26 August 2006, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by OberonSky

{snip}

I'll start by agreeing with you that tonight's episode was a good one. Cam and Vala were written well in this one, and the story was well done.

I also agree that if they (Cam/Vala) had been written this way from the beginning it would have made a difference. However they weren't. And because they weren't written well at the beginning, casual viewers (not those of us who hang out on forums, check every magazine, eveyr newsboard, in other words those of us who are obseessed) who were turned off by it, tuned out and for the most part won't come back. So, I would still have to say that IMO the writing of Cam/Vala through much of S9, hurt the ratings for S10.

I still believe however, as I stated in my first post, that Skiffy never had any intention of going past S10. So even if Cam/Vala had been written well from the get go, I seriously don't think it would have made a difference.
                sigpic

Comment

I agree Sci-Fi seems to be moving to "original programming" as per NBC instructions to keep all profit in-house.

What I got from tonight's episode being a more than the casual fan, alright a err hardcore fan? gatehead? heh well ok what I mean is we saw a glimpse of how it is possible to pull SG-1 back to its old self.

I always had the feeling that once we roll into the episodes with the ori arc Vala would start turning more mature/somber having to face her daughter .. and I am glad that is what happened.

In any case, this episode restored my faith that if the writers do a better job, even if we don't get an 11th season of SG-1, we CAN get a decent spin-off series based on Earth .. Stargate Command if you will, with the same or most of the current cast intact and still have great stories to tell and more team adventures.
                  Last edited by OberonSky; 26 August 2006, 11:44 AM.

Comment

counterstirke:
                    pretty solid "yes" to Landry.
                    yes to Vala and the interactions surrounding her. VERY nice development, though there was a scene or two where i just didn't enjoy her. i think it is the actor--Now Hold It Right There! i think CB's a good actress, great even, there's just something about her style--her style, not her--that I personally do not enjoy. it doesn't pop up often, but it's there, and it doesn't seem like the directing. that said, CB is a great actress IMO (better than some others on the show i could name but won't).
                    "meh" to mitchell. he didn't do anything really stupid, but he didn't really do anything, either. he was just there. so that irked me. didn't see any leadership at all, maybe a bit of co-lead. i think it comes close to as good as his character can be written, there's just not a whole lot else there, IMO. bad tendency to give him mean-nothing lines and take lines from others to give to him.
                    and yes! to Daniel, a YES! to Teal'c, and a YESYAYWOOHOO!!!! to sam

^^IMO

and i think we're off topic.
                    sigpic
                    "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
                    Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Originally posted by ParadoxRealities
                      counterstirke:
                      pretty solid "yes" to Landry.
                      yes to Vala and the interactions surrounding her. VERY nice development, though there was a scene or two where i just didn't enjoy her. i think it is the actor--Now Hold It Right There! i think CB's a good actress, great even, there's just something about her style--her style, not her--that I personally do not enjoy. it doesn't pop up often, but it's there, and it doesn't seem like the directing. that said, CB is a great actress IMO (better than some others on the show i could name but won't).
                      "meh" to mitchell. he didn't do anything really stupid, but he didn't really do anything, either. he was just there. so that irked me. didn't see any leadership at all, maybe a bit of co-lead. i think it comes close to as good as his character can be written, there's just not a whole lot else there, IMO. bad tendency to give him mean-nothing lines and take lines from others to give to him.
                      and yes! to Daniel, a YES! to Teal'c, and a YESYAYWOOHOO!!!! to sam

^^IMO

and i think we're off topic.
                      I think the relationships are still being forced a bit but as it's OT I'll leave it

Comment

Oh no, Counterstrike spoilers... *runs away til I've seen it tonight*
                        scarimor

Comment

Ignoring is an easy cop out for people who cannot handle hearing opinions which differ from theirs.

It depends on contracts and series.
                          Usually first name appearing in the credits is the lead or most important performer. The Co-star/also starring (in the credits at the end or after the lead actor) is usually the co-lead, it's on par aka the most valuable player. People in the middle of the credits are the rest of the recurrent leading cast. People outside the intro creditations flash are the rest of the recurrent crew & cast. Guest stars are usually famous actors either playing themselves or a character for one or a few episodes. Anyway, what does this have to do with the thread ? It's a detail i never pay attention to, i must admit.
                          Last edited by jeb; 26 August 2006, 07:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jeb
                            Ignoring is an easy cop out for people who cannot handle hearing opinions which differ from theirs.
                            or simply don't want to read annoying crap, sometimes viciously put in the signatures.
                            T.S.G.D - The StarGate SG-1 Defenders

StargateSg1.com/Farscapefan1

Comment

Originally posted by jeb
                              Anyway, what as this to do with the thread ? It's a detail i never pay attention to, i must admit.
                              Someone raised it re. Vala/CB, that's all. No biggie.
                              scarimor

Comment

Originally posted by The Ori
                                200,000,000,000% agree with principia man, and you get a green for it!!

Cam is such a poor addition in my opinion its so unbelievable!! He does not at all have any facial expressions. He was great in Farscape, but what happened to him!! I do not like it and think that it has killed the show, I think it went down the bucket ever since, RDA left. Its a sad week for us all. I just hope that another network can pick it up and soon so they can write a good season finale!!

I'm not one of your " 200,000,000,000". Stargate was cancelled for probably one reason, money. Sciffy only has the bottom line as it's main concern, and Stargate is not an inexpensive series to run. Also, I'm certain the original stars wanted more money, which is their right, as they have given a decade of their lives to the show. I do not think that the additon of two very fine actors, Ben Browder and Cluadia Black killed the show. If that were the case, why are Atlantis's ratings down also?

I want Stargate to continue, as I truly felt that season 10 was improving and it just needed more time for the characters to "get into" the new dynamic of the series. Sciffy once again prematurely pulls the plug on a great series, and I believe Atlantis will be next.

As for Ben's acting, don't blame him, blame the writers and directors. He was sensational in Farscape, as was Claudia. Sciffy axed that show prematurely too.

I'll stop babbling....I'm not happy about the cancellation, but from past experience, nothing the fans can do will save it. As for a mini-series, a few more hours to hastily tie up loose ends is not appealing to me. But that's just my poor opinion.
                                On fighting:
                                Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
                                Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

Working...
                                X