• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Farscapefan
    Yes, they did.
    Well this could go on for awhile.

BTW, my opinion is also, "No they didn't."

...You're ALWAYS Welcome in Samanda: Amanda's Community of New Fans and Old Friends...

Comment

Originally posted by ÜberSG-1Fan
      Well this could go on for awhile.

BTW, my opinion is also, "No they didn't."
      Yes, they did
      T.S.G.D - The StarGate SG-1 Defenders

StargateSg1.com/Farscapefan1

Comment

Originally posted by OberonSky
        Also people differ in their tolerance, ok let me for example rate the show in its recent direction:

If I give Stargate SG-1's best episode (too many to count) a 10/10
        .. and the worst episode to ME (Citizen Joe, that barber guy) a 5/10

The rest of the episodes to ME fall in-between. So if Seasons 9 and10 are not as perfect as some of the episodes from previous seasons, they are still "good" to me.

Problem is, some people rate the worst episode at 2/10 or even a 0/10 to them the episodes are not even worth watching .. to me anything Stargate IS worth watching some more than others but ALL are still good.

Now if I were a writer on SG-1, I would do the following to make seasons 9 and 10 better (close to perfection 10/10 etc):

1) Vala's scene with the Senators (appropriations committee?) was wayy over the top. tone that down.

2) Remember the episode where vala was taking mental/psychiatric tests, I would have made her joke a little at first THEN be confronted by Gen.Landry that if she does not take things seriously she will be booted period. Then make her go through (Stargate Bootcamp) .. training grounds / proving grounds like episode. Make her alter her attitude from 100% runaround do crazy things to 10% or so ..

3) Avoid the scene were she looked like she was leading an SG team. Make it perfectly clear she is ONLY following to learn and help not lead or take initiative (most of the time) with very few far and in-between her acting on her own during this season .. wait another season before moving her to the front line.

4) Cut her joking to only occur before missions and after missions. With VERY RARE jokes in-between .. SHOW gen.Landry / Col.Mitchel giving her hard time for not following orders.

5) Expand on the way Col.Mitchel said that he does not feel he is in charge and that he is not effectively commanding the team with everyone doing their own thing. Make a BIG deal out of it and make Gen.Landry put people on notice that the chain of command MUST be followed.

6) Finally, never ever would I have allowed Sam to make that mistake of giving the database to Ba'al. Make him take it any other way but not by Sam.

So, to me, THESE few changes along with making Vala go through SG-Bootcamp training (either show it on screen or talk about it to let us know she IS being trained), would make the 8/10 or 7/10 episodes in these last 2 seasons reach 10/10.

Bottomline, Vala in her current form does not fit in a military based SG-team at all. Writers need to change her from the pigtailed princess to a more mature team-member with the occasional light joke.
        None of the characters had anything to do with it. It was ratings, and the drop in ratings was caused by SciFi's overly advertising Eureka over Stargate SG-1. So it's SciFi's fault. You can't say its the characters, cuz look at the ratings of 200. SciFi is the problem.

Jesus is Lord!

Comment

Well I can say that the characters may have contributed to the cancellation because I personally know of quite a few people who were on this forum alone who stopped watching after season 9 because it didn't feel like Stargate anymore, in part because of those 2 characters. Once you start losing long time fans it starts going downhill.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Originally posted by Shipperahoy
            What no multiple choice? Why do you have to make us work so hard?
            yeesh, the "youth" of today, you all want to be Spoon fed..

oh,Spoon.... that gives me an idea

*polishes spoon*

Right. Why did Major Clanger reply to a one line opinion post (that Mitchell, Vala, Daniel & Teal'c made a good team at the start of S9) with a one line post of "no they didn't" (actually, there was a second line, but I'm cheating as usual)

1) to emphasise that everything anyone says here is an opinion

b) to be annoying

iii) Because it's true and the Clanger is always right and anyone who disagrees with him/her is wrong and stupid and thick and nyahh nyahh nyahh

better?
            (Personally, I think it was b)
            In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Shipperahoy
              Well I can say that the characters may have contributed to the cancellation because I personally know of quite a few people who were on this forum alone who stopped watching after season 9 because it didn't feel like Stargate anymore, in part because of those 2 characters. Once you start losing long time fans it starts going downhill.
              You know what's sad about this? Before Skiffy announced cancellation, there were 10 lovely clips in the video area at SciFi.com/stargate - these were Outtakes not included in the SciFi Special: Inside 200th episode. One of them was short clip with Claudia talking potential season 11 and being very positive about the audience. I'm wondering what part of audience she was talking about...

Now 7 out of these 10 clips are not available anymore.
              T.S.G.D - The StarGate SG-1 Defenders

StargateSg1.com/Farscapefan1

Comment

Originally posted by Cameron Mitchel
                None of the characters had anything to do with it. It was ratings, and the drop in ratings was caused by SciFi's overly advertising Eureka over Stargate SG-1. So it's SciFi's fault. You can't say its the characters, cuz look at the ratings of 200. SciFi is the problem.
                there are many different explanations for the ratings drop, and no actual, objective, definitive proof in sight. btw, some of the many refutes for 200 are that ex-fans tuned in for the historic moment, expected the "old" show for the ep celebrating the decade run, wanted to see Jack again, and/or expected the "old" team dynamic to return with Jack/RDA. any and all of which could and probably did bring back some number of viewers, along with the advertising.

i pick iii. now where's my chocolate green?
                sigpic
                "Out of the Abyss" (SJ Angst)....................Best New Author.................."Else Close the Wall Up" (Sam)
                Hic Comitas Regit. Welcome to Samanda.

Comment

Originally posted by dmovies
                  Yes. The new characters, poor writing, and pushing the 3 original team members into the background ruined the show for me.
                  i think you just basically said it all in one sentence.

sally
                  sally

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ParadoxRealities
                    there are many different explanations for the ratings drop, and no actual, objective, definitive proof in sight. btw, some of the many refutes for 200 are that ex-fans tuned in for the historic moment, expected the "old" show for the ep celebrating the decade run, wanted to see Jack again, and/or expected the "old" team dynamic to return with Jack/RDA. any and all of which could and probably did bring back some number of viewers, along with the advertising.

i pick iii. now where's my chocolate green?
                    Believe what you want. But turning the blame on a single character or set of new characters wont solve the problem. Complaining that the team dynamic is gone and wanting RDA back full time wont change or solve anything.

Jesus is Lord!

Comment

The thing is that if you're inviting an actor/actress as a SPECIAL GUEST STAR just for several episodes, he/she is actually the main character in these episodes. If the first six episodes of season 9 weren't focused on Vala, her being there would have been actually totally pointless.
                      umm, rda was a 'special guest star' on both atlantis and stargate last week...i think he logged about 15 minutes of air time between the two shows

special guest star does not mean 'star of the show' it means 'this actor has a good agent and negotiated a prime spot in the credits'
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Major Clanger
                        yeesh, the "youth" of today, you all want to be Spoon fed..

oh,Spoon.... that gives me an idea

*polishes spoon*

Right. Why did Major Clanger reply to a one line opinion post (that Mitchell, Vala, Daniel & Teal'c made a good team at the start of S9) with a one line post of "no they didn't" (actually, there was a second line, but I'm cheating as usual)

1) to emphasise that everything anyone says here is an opinion

b) to be annoying

iii) Because it's true and the Clanger is always right and anyone who disagrees with him/her is wrong and stupid and thick and nyahh nyahh nyahh

better?
                        (Personally, I think it was b)
                        What no ( ) Check here if all of the above?

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

Yes, they did.
                          for YOU, they did. but you're not me, or mc or kat or others here...thus your statement is not a statement of fact, it's a statement of opinion.

there is a difference
                          Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

In my opinion what happened is that focused the early episodes on Vala in
                            S9. When that character was gone the writers realised that they had another character they had forgot to fully develop.

That character was Mitchell. The way he was introduced in the first episode
                            in my opinion was far from Sg-1 canon. We did get an inkling of his personal family life in one episode, which I did like. But the way he's been written as far last weeks episodes hasn't really changed.

Also with respect to Vala, If the writers had acknowledged the fact that the character had evolved in the past six episodes to let her be member of Sg-1.

But as she is written now, she still reminds me of Starbuck (Dirk Benedict TOS).Doing the job, but in my opinion, always looking for the payoff in the end.

Comment

Originally posted by dmovies
                              Yes. The new characters, poor writing, and pushing the 3 original team members into the background ruined the show for me.
                              For you. Not for the entire US. Not for the whole Gateworld Community, and not for the majority of the Stargate Franchise Fanbase.

Jesus is Lord!

Comment

I tick iii

And anyone who doesn't like the cancellation of the show just can't accept change!

scarimor

Comment

Working...
                                X